Chow 163 :: Envoy of the Khemethar - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Chow 163 :: Envoy of the Khemethar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hideyoshi, i really like the way you simplified the planes of his head from first to last sketch, very cool character.

i made a run at Bastet too this afternoon, here's how my sketch evolved so far:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpedro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    deastwen: many thanks for the crit! Actually now that you suggested it, I might fix some areas
    jpedro: thank you! The simpler the better... Nice design on yours, the square plates on her skirt are neat!

some more quick comments on a few that caught my eye, sorry can't crit everyone...

Quikenobi: looking nice! Love the cat feature but I feel the face is still a little on the weak side...needs more 'punch'

Adi: great design! His gauntlet is slick, looking forward!

harris_ejaz:
    strong silhouette! Loving the head design most!

lkjhgfdsa: very crazy shapes! Digging the mask, looks really menacing! I am not such a fan of the dodgy coloring but that is just personal taste

dwinbotp:
    sweet! Head is a winner and your rendering is always solid Well, just keep on going!

Asahi_SD: coming along pretty well! Anubis is badass

luness:
    love it, super pencils!

cosmitron: another promising one from you, hope you finish it! Great poses always!

supervlieg: hey that is looking great, love the flowy design and pose!

Tommoy: nice! Haha, you actually chose the one I would have gone with the least

Pixeltuner: nice take! Very Degenesis-ish

Posh: damn, your girls are always TEH YUMMY! Hope to see it finished! The translucent wings are a pure eye-catcher!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hideyoshi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's almost finished. Fun topic!

Name:  toth4.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  37.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If there isn't a fish/frog god there should be, and in that case I've chosen it. Does this make sense?

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tommoy: There is, frog at least. Heqet. Congrats, you've created the most terrifying fertility goddess ever. It's looking cool, good job.

Probably the last WIP before I get it finished. Most bits are done but some are still in need of work (Osiris needs hands, for one...)-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my god you guys are too awsome. I *will* crit and reply when I can however right now it's nearly midnight I still have a 9 mile cycle ride home...

So... erm. Yeah. Still work in progress. Name:  sekmet6.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  97.5 KB

____________________________,

Mark's new sketchpad (March1st) | Art blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final Anubis

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MarkDN - That looks really cool, but watch the perspective on his left wing, it looks off
    Phaethon - Love the headdress, but the shadow under her chin with the highlight looks a bit harsh
    dwinbotp - thats pretty sweet, dude looks like he's gonna whoop someone.
    Felicia - that thing is disgusting (in a very good way) I can't wait to see it finished.
    jpedro - I'm loving the design, can't wait to see her developed more.
    Asahi-SD- - thanks for the feedback, yours is looking good, I just find myself looking for a bit more blue in the piece.
    sony - It's looking good but be careful how his forehead sits in that helmet.

Sorry to those I didn't get. As for mine: Thanks to those who commented. I widened her hips, but I think I need to lighten or take away some of the jewels in her skin. Any crits would be greatly appreciated.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sulk-Sal For This Useful Post:

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Benu - I really like yours. I was curious to see how you were going to add the legs and feet but they suit perfectly.

Ok, well .... here's my second idea. I won't have time to finish but I'd appreciate some C&C anyway.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Razorleaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on mine before cleanup. With the static pose I figured a back view should help.

Sulk-Sal - It may be the background or the colors in general but it's hard to read as is. More contrast on her armor, skin, and more color may help.

MarkDN - Looking awesome, you might want to widen the canvas a bit though, that wing is pushing the border, and emphasize the little guy in the orb.

Jpedro - She's a little too stiff starting from the second sketch, almost like she's arching her back and raising the mirror.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hideyoshi looks like another badass cyborg freak, love it!
    Sulk-Sal, I love watching you grow as an artist and you're improving, just keep at it I would probably lessen the red dots/jewels and make just a few better rendered jewels and place them at key areas ie head, chest, torso etc. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the comments from everyone, going to post more soon, sorta have to post and go atm.

This will probably what my final will look like. I've resized the followers/worshippers, making the envoys giants. and added backup singers Anubis and Ra albeit faded

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dwinbotp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, posting right after dwinbopt sucks...but anyways, my running shot of Geb. A little to magical, needs more tech...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Razorleaf - Her fingers look a little short, and you might want to reposition her leg just a bit. Her back leg forms a bit of a tangent and while I can tell she's steping out of this hole in space/time she made, moving her front leg so we can see a bit of her back leg in the hole would make it much clearer. Otherwise looks good so far.
    Reymus - Looking good! Love that he's peering out of his helm.
    dwinbotp - what is there to say? DANG!
    CKLamb - Can't wait to see it further developed.

Also, dwinbotp I have to thank you for such kind words. Right now I'm kicking myself for not joining ChoW sooner. Hopefully soon I can grow enough to make a living at this :p

Hopefully "P" here looks a bit better too.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sulk-Sal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I kind of got sick of working on the one I was doing, and went back and started from scratch. There were too many weird things going on with the lighting on the edges of things. And her pose was not sassy enough.

Here's how far I got on the old one, and the new one in progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sulk-Sal - I don't know if it's too late now, or if you were going to do it, but since you really have 2 "layers" of shade really, it'll help a lot to further define and solidify forms by adding a third layer, maybe highlights (since you have shadows and midtones already). Not on the whole piece but her skin and hair.

Phaeton - The second one is already better, her head in the first was too wide, though the second is starting to have the same problem, but her pose from the first is already more lively, the choker and headdress in the first seemed fine though .

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to try a stab at Osiris. My biggest concern right now is rendering those (barely touched) pyramids and making his signature headdress merge more with his skull, but both should resolve themselves with more work after a good night's rest.

Name:  CHOW163_BoostmetalWIP1.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  244.7 KB Name:  CHOW163_BoostmetalWIP2.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  222.6 KB

gtgauvin is offline 3rd-level Artist with a +1 pencil and a Printer of Scanning Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, here's where it stands so far. I think, for the purposes of the CHOW, this is what I'll be submitting ( with maybe a few tweaks here and there). We're on the brink of the deadline, and my eyes are starting to hurt from staring at a screen all day. I decided to try out the copy of Photoshop Elements which came with my tablet, and I'm liking the results.

"I always did want to be a hero...and a liar!"

My Sketch Thread

My Stupid Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Update...

Name:  nut_wip006.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  211.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another WIP. Hopefully I can finish in time, but still long way to go.

Gabriel Frizzera
    www.gabo.ca

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daestwen: I was actually going for something very techy but i get what you (and others) are saying... i've reigned in my designs a bit accordingly. it's a fine line to walk, to not be too obvious with the sourve material...
    At the same time i recognise that my designs were going a bit too much into the cyberpunk (like tsutomu nehei's blame)... trying to shift directions now.
    I like your mocap goddess btw :p

Quikenobi
    another centre of gravity issue. all you need to do is to fix the posture... it couldn't stand the way it's drawn now.keep the legs bent the way they are now but rotate them about the hip, clockwise.
    otherwise nice.

Tommoy that's brilliant. I especially like the glenn gabry-esque paint finish.

markDN looking good, have slight crit: the wings are off-perspective. either the left wingtip should go higher, or the rightwingtip should go lower.

dwinbotp... *faint*

xgabo the menace!

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    test on anubis,field biologist and first aid technician.
    the khemetar are actually from some water world,so they need walk support (gonna work on a more techy look) and gasmasks to counteract the very dry oxygen. since osiris is the communications/translations guy,he's out most often,with a special wetsuit,which doesn't prevent him from eventially succumbing to the sun and falling apart,upon which anubis has each part encased in special boxes to be put together and re-animated back on the ship. since seth is the first one to find osiris,people assume he's murdered him,and we get that absurd legend.

razorleaf - it's nice you reference a she-hulk cover from wikipedia,but probably not the best way to go.
    edit: thanks for the support everyone,btw.

Last edited by Carnifex; June 21st, 2009 at 01:36 PM.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Simplified the goddess. worked in the gold and teal hues as subtly as i could...
    further working on the god. hmn... they don't seem to match very well. i might have to abandon the god...

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harris-ejaz: it'd be a shame to abandon it - have you tried making the right half of the background black? That could bring the figure out a little more and make the contrast between them stronger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MarkDN, cool design, it screams egypt and pharao, if you wanted to make this a little more feminine, then i'd recheck the hips and transition to the back, this looks very strong and masculine atm, then again, maybe you intended this.

Missile, i like the flags with the Eye on there, i think we're a bit far away in general maybe, which is probably a result of having two characters plus a bit of BG. i'd personally prefer to have the focus just on her and have the indication of the pyramid in the BG, just next to the righthand side flag. just a suggestion though hope you can finish!

Tommoy, really like the visor/hlelmet, and cool pose. nice one!

Sulk Sal, good call on the gems, much less is more.

Reymus, i think the red hand there would look more natural if it was holding that staff with the fingers as well.
    thanks for your crit, made me reevaluate a number of things, i think this pose and the redesigned head, and getting rid of the "mirror" works better.

dwinbotp, looks great, really reminds me of immortal. love the armor and the design of the head, well done!

daestwen, i think on her right hand we'd see a bit of the index finger from that angle.

xgabo, cool composition and pose, also like the head, going to be a good one!

oaky, some changes on mine, if i'll finish anything, this will be the base for it me thinks:

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpedro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its been a while since I've participated in Chow but here is my latest entry

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    razorleaf - it's nice you reference a she-hulk cover from wikipedia,but probably not the best way to go.
    Why not!? I love the pose, it has such drama and it fit in perfectly with my idea. I'm not going to poll anyway but thanks for the mention.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update, any color advice for low light/ high contrast areas would be appreciated.

Djinn is offline Not as much of a slacker as he appears. No really. Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, here's my next one. Huge thanks to everyone who helped me out along the way, it certainly wouldn't be what it is without you! I'm thinking I'll leave it black and white because firstly I don't have time, and secondly, I'm pretty bad with color. So I hope this is good enough to go to poll BnW...
    --EDIT--
    Any thoughts on the very slight color? just to bring the figure forward a bit.

(Any last minute crits? I might have some time for a few tweaks before I post my final.)

Last edited by Djinn; June 21st, 2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Crits, Advice, and Feedback always appreciated.

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the inside of my eyelids" -Aesop Rock

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Djinn: Looking slick! One final thing I'd suggest if you haven't taken it to the finals yet is to make the tubing on the right of the mask a little thicker (ie, a little more height to it) as it goes over the shoulder. It kind of trails off currently.

Jpedro: Thanks, you've pretty much voiced what I've been thinking the last couple of days - I'm putting in a lot of detail but it isn't visible because the figures are distant. I'm dropping Osiris and putting more focus on Isis now. Yours is looking good, the ears make it slightly cute but the picture keeps a serious tone to it. Good luck with finishing it.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Gavage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phaeton I like the new direction I'm sorry to see the shpinx idea didn't pan out i was looking forward to that. though this look interesting. the dynamics have changed and I am curious to see how you take this further. You could still keep the paws since i see the tail in the background

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.