Sketchbook: Rynnay's sketchbook [[*6/24/09 UPDATE*]]

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rynnay's sketchbook [[*6/24/09 UPDATE*]]

Okay, enough with the lurking already, time for me to start a sketchbook thread!
    Hi, I'm Rynnay. I'm from DeviantArt, but I want to get a little more serious with my pursuit of art as a career, and I've been told this is the right place to go. By the looks of things, I've been told correctly! Enclosed for now is an older compilation of the first bundle of pages (the worthwhile ones anyway) of my sketchbook from this past January-May. Apologies for any notes or comic page thumbnails... those are classwork related.

So tell me your thoughts if you like. I'm itching to improve my style, and I hope being here will help motivate me over the summer in preparation for my senior year of my BFA. I want to get more realistic with my style, but I don't want to lose the emotive quality of my more cartoonish work. I'm not sure where to begin.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by Rynnay; June 24th, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good cartoonish style some are very expressive i like that.
    If you want to get realistic but expressive lines, loomis got a good intermediate style between realistic and cartoon-expressivity in some of his books (but you might already know that).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm familiar with Loomis as far as his figure drawing lessons go, but perhaps haven't looked at enough of his stuff after that. Thanks for the tip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start Would like to see how you take your sketchs further. I have not experience with cartoonish styles so cant really give any crit. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a few older studies I did in Photoshop a few months ago. Been busy at home, so no time to do anything new. The hooded centaur creature was a study for a creature design in a story I'm working on. The portrait was a paintover from Alchemy. And the ogre... thing... well I'm still not sure what prompted that, but I named him Tiny.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I really like your work as well, especially all the images in your first post. The coloring on your Centaur and the one after the ogre is phenomenal!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I'm not so sure about my sketches, but I was pleased with the results of the colored ones. I definitely need to be sketching more in my book though. Hopefully being here at CA will help kick me into high gear this summer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you did join! Welcome!
    Fantastic! I'm stalkin'

I'll let others advise you now as you are way ahead of me in skill. Maybe I do faces with a bit more realistic detail, but you definitely have more knowledge and visual vocabulary. Not to mention imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Leonor- don't be so sure, I'm outmatched here by the vast majority! You sound like you've seen me somewhere else before. Do I know you from DA? Don't presume I remember anything, my memory is crap, lol!

In the meantime, here's some things I've done over the past couple weeks. I need to pick up the pace. More sketching!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I watch you on dA, but I rarely comment. I did reply to your journal about wanting to be a concept artist and I suggested that you should come here.

I like your sketches. Where are you studying those poses from?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh right! Now I remember I had been signed up here for quite some time (it says June '08... geez has it been that long already??) but kept forgetting to come back and get started posting stuff til you and a couple others said something.

The poses in the last post are from links I found in nude reference thread in Refs and Inspirations. Others are from photos probably around DA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your dino punches are excellent. Care to show more of them and can you show a more recently finished work.

Build your concept at a professional level about various things by Term Papers Writers :: Writing an Essay because knowledge skills are considered as first priority to understand artistic work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't had time to finish much of anything recently since school let out for the summer a few weeks ago. Been preoccupied with work and other matters. All I have that I've finished within the last week is a portrait of RedXIII from FF7 as a human. Just did it for fun both as a lighting practice and a character study.

Also have some more gesture drawings from yesterday and today. Check out my home site for other finished work. I don't want to clog CA's server with work that's not recent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some works in progress. The two on the lower left are unfinished commissioned works. The creature and sword-fighting couple are from a story in progress. Please let me know if you see anything that should be tweaked or adjusted, such as anatomy, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started my Drawing II course online this week. My traditional drawing skills are extremely rusty. Here are three blind contours and two still life studies that were assigned, one cross-contour drawing in graphite and the other as a value study in charcoal.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.