Are we all insane?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are we all insane?

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Are we all insane?

I've been reading books about painters/illustrators; Alex Ross, Steve Rude, James Bama, JC Leyendecker, and am moving on to finishing Leyendecker and Bama, after finishing Dave Stevens book, "Brush with Passion".

.....what coined the question above was reading Dave's book.

He finally hit his true abilities, I mean, to see the paintings he was just starting to produce was incredible...

...only to fade away from cancer before truly realizing it to his fruition.

Given my own disease (diabetic) it hit me, making me wonder the path I've, no scratch that, the path I've no choice but to walk, and ask myself...

Am I fucking nuts? usually this is a rhetorical question given what we strive to do, but hell.

(now, I've got to get back to studying that stephen Rogers peck anatomy book and take a look at Henry Yan's Figure Drawing Book).

Last edited by OmenSpirits; June 13th, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course we're insane, we're human, heeeellooo?!?

Crit for a crit!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how does a physical sickness make you think that you're insane? it's not like your own thinking made your body sick.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynette View Post
    how does a physical sickness make you think that you're insane? it's not like your own thinking made your body sick.
    Meaning in the way we pursue something that may or may not be obtainable, and for him, JUST when he was reaching another level...

*POOF*

Are we insane for pouring heart, soul, sacrificing a great deal for something that may be...

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would you rather die having NOT pushed yourself to the highest level you could achieve, having not tried at all?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viridis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a question of purpose, than pushing to the highest level of achievement.

I pursue what I do because I seek an answer...to what, I'll let you know when I can formulate a cognitive string of words together that justly express the question as a topic fully.

It just struck me to see Stevens finally find that step and then...

So the question arose.

If I did not question, every and all, then I stop.

The journey gives me answers and raise more questions which forces me and pushes me further.

I just...felt for him.

Last edited by OmenSpirits; June 14th, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "What if I told you 'insane' was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"……Steve Buscemi as Garland Greene from that "magnum opus" Con Air

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Musselfarmstudios For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Are we all insane?"

Yes.

What's your point?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    we?

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are we all insane?

yes.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sanity is overrated.

So don't worry about it

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No, everyone else is insane and I'm the only sane voice in the world. When I become supreme ruler of the world I'll think of some rules for my underlings.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No one should give up their dream to become an artist just because they're afraid they might be killed by a disease! Don't let diabetes frighten you away from becoming a professional artist!

I empathize with you, but I think you're wrong to doubt yourself like this. I say this personally because I was born with an extremely rare birth defect that might very well kill me later, but I don't think that the likelihood of a shortened lifespan should force me to give up all hope of becoming a great artist. If anything, the realization that you may have a little less time than other people should only make you push yourself harder. There are plenty of people who did incredible things in a short span of time!

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You'll find that a lot of extreme achievement arises from hardship and the drive to overcome it. Without that it's difficult for us humans to break our natural complacency and achieve maximum motivation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Insanity?

Lunatics make the best artists.

We have vision.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think our entire lives, if we are motivated, are filled with advancements. If you stay passionate about art I think you'll continue to mature and advance for your entire life. I'm not sure you would ever reach a point where you'd think "well, that's it. I finally know it all." On the contrary I think the more you learn, the more aware you are of the things that still elude you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    You'll find that a lot of extreme achievement arises from hardship and the drive to overcome it. Without that it's difficult for us humans to break our natural complacency and achieve maximum motivation.
    which would ironically make the ultimate hardship being comfortable, no ?

lifes such a bitch

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the question, for me, is: would I feel worse if I tried my best pursuing a dream and a journey relating to something I love to do, or if I didn't try at all?

If you draw for your whole life and die just as you're about to reach a new level, well, at least you drew your whole life. Is that really anything to complain about?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We are alive therefore we must act. To behave as something we are not, to think we are something we are not, are forms of insanity. To behave as though we are already dead, to not act, when in fact we are alive is the true absurdity.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Living is a dangerous thing... It always ends up in death..."

My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't quite understand your worries, I mean, art is fun, and even if you can never become the best, you can still draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post

Given my own disease (diabetic) it hit me, making me wonder the path I've, no scratch that, the path I've no choice but to walk, and ask myself...
    Diabetes is not as life threatening as Cancer, however if it is this that drives you then no, I dont think you are nuts.

If having diabetes worries you, then I guess you are not looking after your blood sugar levels properly. And yes....I do know....as I have it too. Letting your blood sugars soar into the highs will result in loss of teeth and eye sight. Yes blindness!!! Not very good if you want to be an artist.

Is this what you meant? I'm unsure, but i wrote it anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's sad that he died, but he was not insane to have such a high purpose in his life. Cancer and diabetes are illnesses that can be researched and for which better treatments and even cures can be found one day.

If your goal is to become the best ever and you think you could do that, if not for the diabetes, stick to your goal. Treat the illness as a different problem. Take care of yourself and invest any spare money you have on diabetes and even cancer research so it improves your chances you survive illness.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemien View Post
    Diabetes is not as life threatening as Cancer, however if it is this that drives you then no, I dont think you are nuts.

If having diabetes worries you, then I guess you are not looking after your blood sugar levels properly. And yes....I do know....as I have it too. Letting your blood sugars soar into the highs will result in loss of teeth and eye sight. Yes blindness!!! Not very good if you want to be an artist.

Is this what you meant? I'm unsure, but i wrote it anyway.
    Blind artists...

Has anyone else noticed that many historical artists went blind?

I think it was Pizzarro who once said "I am more afraid of the dark than of death", and went blind in the last few years of his life.

Van Gogh ended up in a mental asylum, another famous artist got arthritis in his hands...

We're not a particularly lucky bunch.

But insane?

I think you have to be a little insane to be an artist, to put pencil to paper in the pursuit of showing what your mind's eye is showing you, or immortalising something or someone.

We're all a little eccentric, call it insanity if you want.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchstone View Post
    Blind artists...

Has anyone else noticed that many historical artists went blind?

I think it was Pizzarro who once said "I am more afraid of the dark than of death", and went blind in the last few years of his life.

Van Gogh ended up in a mental asylum, another famous artist got arthritis in his hands...

We're not a particularly lucky bunch.

But insane?

I think you have to be a little insane to be an artist, to put pencil to paper in the pursuit of showing what your mind's eye is showing you, or immortalising something or someone.

We're all a little eccentric, call it insanity if you want.

Yes I agree, That is true. I also believe that Degas went blind too. He couldn't paint so he started sculpting. If blindness was the case, that would drive me insane because of the fact I couldn't view other people's superb eye candy right here on CA

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have posterior uveitis, it’s chronic so hopefully it won’t affect me too much, but there is always the possibility of blindness. Then I’d learn sculpture.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Since there is no true standard for sanity, I guess that yes, we are all insane .

I don't think you should be giving this too much thought anyway. If you do what you love doing, and persue your goals and achieve them, in other words, if you do your best to live a happy and succesful life, what's there to worry about? We're all dying, there's no telling what will come after this life (if anything), so what's the use in spending our given time in worrying and fear? I may be young and naive still, but it works for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe it was Rembrandt who got arthritis in his hands. And he continued to paint, by strapping a brush to the back of his hand. He is my fuckin' hero and that's what I'm going to do if I ever get arthritis (good possibility in my case)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.