Thanks

How long does it take?

From start to finish, how long do some of you take on average to make your sketches and concepts? Then, how long does it take to make a finished, refined piece?

I'm just curious, because I can spend under an hour on some works, but I know I could spend more...
    - I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I really wanted was some sweet potato pie.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey.. first all you have to worry about is doing some thumbnail sketches and getting a idea then just work hard on your piece
    grrr roawl!

Thanks
    The cute answer would be, "it takes as long as it takes." I suppose a more helpful one would be "it varies..." then offer some examples. A sketch can be anywhere from a few seconds, to many hours. Depending what you are trying to work out, or show, it may not take more than a quick scribble to decide where elements go, and detail or acuarcy may not matter in such a sketch.

In finished works, one should be prepared to spend a bit more time. Again, it depnds on what one wants to do. Some pieces may take well under an hour, others could take weeks. I believe it is helpful, however, to adopt a casual attitude, even when working on a precise piece of art. It is very easy to become burdened by the concept of "This is a final work, it must be perfect!" to the point that it stiffles and henders the creative process. I know I have created my worst work under the pressure of trying to do perfect work, resulting in painfully stiff, rigid, and dull art. It's not easy, but anything that can keep one relaxed, and yet still focussed, is benificial to the process. Also, techniques that allow for making changes is a good thing. Not always an option, but it is great if you can draw/paint freely, and not be afraid to erase/paintover entire sections if you don't like it.

Thanks
    I think what defines sketches and concepts is not the time taken to do them, but the progress made during them.

Thanks
    I draw faster than most people. Just stating a fact. However, my basic forms are still not nearly as good as some that I've seen. I'm just really fast at drawing what I already know how to.

You shouldn't worry about how long it's taking you, it's whether you know the forms well enough to justify your time or your effort.
    If you don't like my posts, consider this.

I post and you don't like it. Thus, you don't like what I have to say or show. Erego, you dislike my principles, which make up my primary beliefs. This means that you dislike me.

Then you see that by focusing negative energy on me, you're the one dwelling on the faults of others. Thus, you contemplate the bad and leave no room for the good. Notice that I said nothing about what you have to say. I don't dislike you. So you contemplate on your own bad feeling and in doing so, eat away at your own principles.

Thus, you hate yourself.