Art: some new portrait crap(updated 01/06)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    Follows
    Following

some new portrait crap(updated 01/06)

hey all. here are a few portraits i've done recently. the first is a triple self portrait, big ass nose and all. this is on linen, no iunderdrawing, just having fun and letting the paint flow...some new portrait crap(updated 01/06)
    i did these as christmas gifts. they are my girlfriend's niece and nephew. we drew their name this year, so they got paintings. thats the best thing about being an artist. you can get away with cheap gifts!-c36
    here is myy dear friend chris hatala. hatala works at weta digital in new zealand, but was in town visiting briefly over the holidays...i made him sit for me for almost 3 hours for this one, even though its small 8x10 on linen mounted on board...some new portrait crap(updated 01/06)
    its hard painting from life. i dont do it enough these days.-c36

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SWEET!!!!

VERy nice!!! VERY NICE!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no underdrawing huh? dang....

i love flashy brushstrokes! hehe.. great stuff.. im sure they were happy with em

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I'd rather want a cool painting then something expensive. So if the kids like it, then its a win-win situation. Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kids are hard to get right. You did an awsome job! Did you project those or did you draw them in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great portrait work, coro. are these from photos or from life? do you have any references to show us?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the replies...
    a_ : yeah, i used ref for all of them. i dont have the kid refs, but i'll put up the ref for the sp shortly. its so much easier that way, especially for kids.

lucasgraciano: yeah, kids are so different structurally. i reaolly enjoy drawing and painting them, as its a fun challenge. i didnt use anything to transfer the image, just kind of dived right in, massing in the shadow shapes with raw umber and english red, then coming in with the lower middle tones a little bit of white and cad red added to the shadow color, then came in with the highlights using titanium white, a touch of the midtone color, and cobalt tirquoise to cool it off. then a little gray/green around the edges of the face and such. they are more like sketches than anything. i only break out the old opaque projector if i'm doing an excessively complicated or large painting, so i dont have to spend a week to draw it. with smallish paintings and portraits, i like to just kind of wing it...

AnarchyAo2: thanks, i think they will like it...i hope.

Main Loop: hell yeah! no better way to test your chops than with out the safety net. besides, i had been working a large piece with an extensive underdrawing, and i needed to cut loose for a bit. i find i get a lot more painterly when i dont underdraw. more fine arty, less illustrative.
    thanks again for the kind words, happy new year all!-c36

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, question for ya, when you work with no underdrawing do you start from the inside out ala Richard Schmid? i have a tendency to start at the top left corner of whatever im drawing... dont know if thats the best way to approach something with no underdrawing..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    main loop: yeah, i'll start with the left eye typically, then build off that, mass in the head/shoulder placement as soon as possible. i like to use a brush with a 24 inch long handle for this, as it sets you further back so you can more easily see the picture as a whole. if i aam doing a larger more complicated composition, though, i'll start top left and work my way to the right. i highly recommend trying the long brush thing, though, as its a marvelous tool and an interesting way to approach a piece.-c36

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.