Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,790 Posts
    "...what should I draw to help me improve my skills? Should I do anatomy studies, or just draw whatever comes to my mind?"

Both. Anatomy is a major aid to anyone attempting to enter the field of art. Drawing what comes to mind, as with any other use of one's imagination, is definitely important to developing "creativity" or the ability to "see" that which doesn't exist.

"Should I make a sketchbook even if I not very good at drawing?"

You should make a sketchbook ESPECIALLY if you're not very good at drawing, and use it/post as often as possible. It's the proper way to solve problems, gain/improve hand skills, and get advice on any items that cause you a problem.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks I will start making a sketchbook here and see if i can get some feedback. Yesterday I did a bit of gesture drawing I will post that too and see what I can get from you guys thanks for everything.Should I keep this topic open or close it? Thanks to everyone who posted in this topic, be sure to check out my sketchbook and post there too. Thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 755 Posts
    Does 3D help your 2D skills?

Yes! Yes, yes, yes.

I took a sculpture class earlier this year and saw a huge boost in my drawing confidence (and my ability to convey 3d form). Maybe not if you're just starting out (since nailing observational drawing and proportions is key early on), but sculpture can be hugely beneficial for 2d artists.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow thanks. I make take that later on my journey to be come an artist. Thanks for posting!

Thanks
    Hey guys I have had an artist block for several days now and I can't seem to draw anything this days. Anything you might want to suggest for me to stop this mental block?
    Some other things I wanted to say:
    Changed the tittle and bought some books but the books you guys suggested weren't on borders. I'll keep saving for them and buy them later. I bought how to draw comics, I got this book because it had some anatomy in it and some perspective too so I though it could help me in some way and I also bought The Basics of Drawing, I bought this one well because I need to learn the basics to be a good artist right?
    I also wanted to ask something. How do I do proper art studies? I mean like what studies help me improve my art skills and why do they do that and how I need to do them to get the most out of them. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Suck it up and keep drawing, even professionals have artist's block but they deal with it and finish the job. If you're going to stop drawing every time you get artist's block, then you're going to have a hard time becoming a professional artist.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eugie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks I'm going to start drawing from the books I bought and see if I overcome it. Please anwser my other questions. Thanks in advace.

Thanks
    There is no right way to study art. You can sit down, with a library of 'how to' books, read all day and night. And learn nothing.

Study by looking at other art and real life, and try to understand/figure out how to create that.

My advice to you, is not to create a 'correct' picture. Create something that looks visually right. Do that, and you won't be disappointed. Be your biggest critic, and don't be afraid to erase.
    SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Irishdrunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow thanks. I'm going to try doing that. Thanks for your post Irishdrunk.

Thanks
    Hey guys. I was thinking about something, I was thinking of making my own webcomic. I feel I can do it but I don't know. What do you guys think? Should I start a webcomic or keep practicing my art skills? Thanks in advance! If anyone else is making a webcomic and has any tips for me please post it here. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I'd hold back on that webcomic and keep practising your art skills but if anybody posts advice on webcomics, take good note.

Write out your story for the webcomic first. Make sure that you know where you want the story to go. Then think how to tell that story in panels. Think about camera angles and drama. Give yourself at least six months, because if you keep drawing, your art is going to change so much.

After six months, think again and consider if another six months will make a difference to your art and writing skills.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you. I'm going to plan the story for the first 50 episode on this 6 months and draw, draw, draw. I'm going to take note on everything. I'm looking around the internet for tips too. I was thinking of making an schedule for me to practice art. Maybe 3 - 4 hours of art studies daily. 1 hour for drawing from my mind, 30 minutes for gesture drawing and 30 minutes for figure drawing ( I think it's the same but I don't really know) 1 hour from the Loomis' books and 1 from the how to draw comics book I have. Is that a good schedule or should I add something to it? I'm going to try to keep that up for the 6 months of intense training. I'm going to post everything in my sketchbook when and if I get some spare time. I'm going to try to keep the schedule when school starts cause I really want to be a good artist. Let's see how that goes. Thanks for posting.

Thanks
    Hey guys is anyone going to post some tips or comment on my schedule could you tell me if figure drawing is the same thing as gesture drawing? I would like to know. If I could add something to the schedule to improve my art skills even more just tell me. I had a question does drawing without erasing the lines help me in some kind of way? Anything I should do to help me on my webcomic on the future? Thanks in advance!!

Thanks
    Hi guys. I bought an awesome scanner today. It's beautiful. It's black and it's a printer a copier and a scanner. It's plain beautiful. Please post and answer the questions on the post above^^^^^^. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    your worrying too much.. you can ask all the questions in the world but to get better you need to just do it. Dont worry about schedules.. DRAW. draw from life, photos, masters, favorite artists... just draw and draw.. and then draw some more.
    "We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JParrilla For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast