Sketchbook: ZenzybaR's Sketchbook - Please guide me! ^_^

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ZenzybaR's Sketchbook - Please guide me! ^_^

Im 21 and i've been drawing non seriously on and off since i was a kid. I've been drawing more in the last 3 years with the intention of getting better but not really taking the right steps, mostly just drawing 10mins in a week or two.
    Since January i've been quite serious and i'm trying to learn as much as possible and i'm going onto an art course in the next few months, so before that starts i want to raise my skill up.

I draw with pencils mostly. I also have a tablet which i'm getting the hang of now.

So can you critique my work and tell me what i need to improve on, things to learn, and anything else that might be useful.

Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images                                      
    Last edited by ZenzybaR; June 27th, 2009 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Cause i bloody well choose darn it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there mhh you say you dont get better but i think you see small steps of changing from top to bottom ... you right with the brush size variations... maybe select middel optancy and a brush that is a bit bigger in order to variate the size with more or less pressure on your tablet.... paint one layer and then if you think the main aspects of the picture a ruffly sketch take a smaler size with higher optancy ... maybe like do this 3 or 4 times and then give some highlights with white... i guess playing around with colour is one of the last steps which you adjust .... maybe that helped you....

Regarding your pencil technique i would say you have already acchieved the quick line sketching it is a good basic technique maybe you try to work with it !
    You can also take your rubber and add highlights to that technique... playing around with light and shadow is most important ...

and a last tipp of mine is do not make sharp outlines try more to shadow around the edges and stuff ... the pictures will look alot more alive !

Hope i could help you with the way i look at sketching and drawing

Greez Xo.

Just because you are loud do not means that you are interesting !

- Stick figure of creativity

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=160225

Visit my Sketchbook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Xo. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good, big studies.
    Maybe try to have more fluid lines, the ones you have are very 'scratchy'. I've been told to try that before and it helped a lot, makes you have a lot more conifidence in what you draw [if you need it that is].

My Site

Sketchbook - Crits and opinions needed and welcomed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep Yep :3

Firstly thanks for the replies, especially you Xo. You don't know how much that little bit of info you gave helped. I actually would stop drawing for days if i tried to use my tablet but now i'm think im getting the hang of it.

I'm new to the whole painting and value stuff so i'm just going blindly hoping to learn on the way. So any advice on value, and colour, and stuff would be greatly appreciated

Okay, well this is the fruits of my labour. 1 each day.
    On the second i had to stop early cause my right eye was super blurry and i couldn't really see when i looked away from my laptop. So i had to stop drawing and reading.

Question: Is it bad to spend to much time on a single image if it's just practice? I'm thinking of trying speed stuff, that way i try many smaller things than one bigger one.

Last edited by ZenzybaR; June 16th, 2009 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daily Sketch Group

Junky flying pizza delivery car.

1h 45m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daily sketch group

Scimitar Wielding Mutated Demon

Way too long cause it straight from mind, and i need a lot of practice.
    Couldn't think of a way to mutate them with my level so i sign him up for the X-Men.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start! One thing I'd suggest for you to work on is your pencil rendering. Make sure that you wrap around the forms with your lines to give your drawings more dimension. Do a lot of observational stuff too. Here are a couple good websites for artists.
    http://posemaniacs.com/
    http://characterdesign.com/
    On the second site go to the left and you'll see links for tutorials, photosets, and event photos. Those are the ones that will help you with drawing. You should also pick up some anatomy books. A good one is Constructive Anatomy by George Bridgman.
    Keep up the drawing

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jackpot_anjr90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daily Sketchgroup
    THE DRAGON SCULPTOR BRINGS THEM TO LIFE AFTER MODELING THEM

Never Drawn a dragon before lol, tried to make one up from imagination and referenced the woman.

Thanks Jackpot for the advice, i already use characterdesigns.com but i'll check the other one out, and the book as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see great potential here! And I agree with jackpot_anjr90, posemaniacs.com is an excellent site to use.

In your first post, I assume the drawings are chronological? Because there is definitely improve as they go down. Your lines were quite hairy at first, but then they started to really tidy up. I particularly like this one.

Keep going! You have started a really good sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 2,488 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Like it man! It is obvious that you are improving. I see that you got yourself good with the tablet too. That is the thing that awaits me in the future, cause I also bought one to my self but as you said I loose more time on changing brushes than drawing, so I also loose the drawing flow. Well I have a lot to learn.
    I wish you luck in your future art career, and keep up with the good work.

Sketchbook
    [last update; 12th September 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    DeviantArt
    blog

...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks LtPlissken and Royzy for the words. It's always great to hear positive things from other members.

I thought that not doing anything with colour and sticking to grey scale till i was familiar with light would be a good idea, but i couldn't resist giving it a shot.
    I always hated the idea of painting or colouring as a kid for some reason but i love it now.

The first 2 i gave myself 1hr 30mins each and the third i was doing to stay awake, but i feel asleep in the end.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I think it's really educational to do longer studies because you really take the time to see your mistakes and think about how they should be corrected. But in general terms it's best to some of both. For instance with anatomy, it's helpful to do quick full-body studies to improve your sense of overall proportions, and it's great to do longer studies on the more detailed areas of the body (ie face, hands, any area that you may have difficulty with).

Hope that helps! Keep up the good work and keep posting!

Can you be more specific about the brush settings that you are changing that break your flow? If you mean like brush size, you can use [ and ] to decrease and increase the size of your brush (that's a huge time-save for me) and if you hold down Alt your paintbrush becomes a color-picker. Those 2 shortcuts tend to streamline your process a bit. If you're talking about more advanced settings, like pen-pressure, wet-edges, texture, etc, with those it's best to make a few different brushes that utilize the combinations you like the best, then you can just switch between them as you work rather than changing the settings on any one brush.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dierat - Thanks for the advice, i'm going to try to do more shorter sketches in between the bigger ones. I usually end up meaning to do something small and go too far.

As for the Tablet problem, that's pretty much sorted. It used to be that i'd have a brush, then when i do a stroke it's just not what i wanted; then i'd change it, but what came out was also unwanted.
    But after following XO's advice, i've overcome that. I guess i should remove the question from the first post. Thanks for the help though.

Daily Sketch Group - THE STRANGELY & PROFOUNDLY INFECTED EYE
    I got some new pencils so i can draw in my sketchbook again. YAAAAY. I lost all my old ones at a tournament.

Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought i'd make myself a quick avatar since i didn't have one. And people might think that my dA one is a self portrait.

Second is my dA avi.

Last edited by ZenzybaR; June 27th, 2009 at 01:08 AM.
    Current Projects:

I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start here. =D

Crit: try drawing a bit more sculptural. I might be assuming but when I look at your drawings I think you focus on outline more then on masses.
    So when drawing a head think of the skull structure, and think of the planes it's made up of. Draw the insides so to speak. If you want to get better at this structural way of thinking I suggest to pick up a Bridgman book, he's all about construction.

For shading with pencil try to use only 3 or 4 major values. Like white, lightdark, dark and darkest. Just start by defining the shadow areas, then the darkest spots, then the almost white ones... or the other way around. Aim for enough contrast. It's a good idea to exagerate the contrast a bit. Try too keep the shading loose for now, just focus on values, if you get caught up by blending everything together too much you usually get a flat result and it takes too much time. Plus it usually gives a stiff impression.

In your digital paintings you could work a bit more on stroke economy. Avoid small scribbly strokes for now, use a large brush and try to use as little brushstrokes as needed, keep the planes defined, try to avoid muddy shading.

Hope my jackass crits are worth something

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Rubbadub, it's almost as if you sit behind me and see everything i'm doing. Everything you said is absolutely true.

I do focus mostly on line, i'm trying to look more at masses but im still fresh to it. What you said about thinking sculpturaly if great, i never thought of it that way.

I was wondering how i should shade with a pencil cause it's been a bit of trouble. The digi painting has helped me a bit but your advise on it has just opened a door to me.

And i do basically scratch the colour/value on everything i do and it takes me forever cause i'm not really sure what i'm doing. I'm just winging it.

WOW, you've helped me on the main things i wanted to know without me even asking. I'm stunned.

Do you have any advice for colour?

Thank you very very much!!!

Current Projects:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.