When will the next Cintiq come out? (plus other questions)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When will the next Cintiq come out? (plus other questions)

$2000 for a 21" Cintiq is a lot of money so I want to do a little research

1)
    When do you think the the next model Cintiq will come out to replace the 21UX? I don't want to buy it then find out a new one's been announced

2)
    Is there any noticeable lag while drawing fast lines?

3)
    Any other complaints about the Cintiq?

Here's a treat. The cheapest place to buy a Cintiq that I've seen so far is here
    http://just4electronics.com/index.ph...products_id=70
    (even cheaper than eBay)

Thanks everyone

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has."

My BLOG

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushido For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why do people think that other people would know when a certain unreported product will come out?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Because for every discipline there is a nerd level status. And those people would know and most likely belong to a forum like this. And it's easier to ask than dig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, thanks for the redirect link. I haven't been on CA in a loooong while.

Well, a lot of people can predict Apple product releases based on timing, rumors, etc. I thought Wacom had a certain following too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Denart View Post

1)
    When do you think the the next model Cintiq will come out to replace the 21UX? I don't want to buy it then find out a new one's been announced

2)
    Is there any noticeable lag while drawing fast lines?

3)
    Any other complaints about the Cintiq?

Here's a treat. The cheapest place to buy a Cintiq that I've seen so far is here
    http://just4electronics.com/index.ph...products_id=70
    (even cheaper than eBay)

Thanks everyone
    1) No idea, but really I wouldn't wait. There's always a temptation to wait for the next gen of technology, but the way technology progresses there will ALWAYS be something cooler just around the corner. You'll wait a LONG time if you are hoping to just get the best version down the road. Besides, a Cintiq is a big enough difference to how you work (in my opinion) that it's already very worth the price. It's good enough that if you can get one sooner, and you'll use it often, it's worth getting as soon as you can (again, in my opinion).

2) About the same as using your Intuos. As in, there MIGHT be a very slight lag, but if so it's damn hard to tell. Really it probably has a lot more to do with your computer than the Cintiq. Remember, all a Cintiq really is is your monitor and your pad combined. If you don't have lag without a Cintiq, you shouldn't have one with a Cintiq (although I suppose your video card COULD affect that too).

3) I have the smaller version, and I love it. I was worried about getting the smaller version, but I couldn't swing 2 grand when I needed a new pad, and it was either 1 grand for a small Cintiq, or $400 or more for a big Intuos. I'm glad I went with the Cintiq. Working much more hands on is a huge improvement to my work flow. I can do more and much faster. Accurracy drawing some arcs and angles is much better as I can turn the screen to get a more natural arm movement, where doing that on an Intuos just doesn't work.

Lastly, if you are seriously worried about not being able to get the better version should one come out later, look at it this way. Buy now and take good care of it. Enjoy it. Should a better model come out later, Ebay it for probably close to what you paid for it. A new model will likely come with a price increase, and not everyone cares enough to get the newest model. A Cintiq is such a big change on work flow that I am fairly sure you'll have no problem finding a student to grab it up since it will still be an amazing piece of hardware, and the small amount of savings buying used rather than new will be all they care about. My plan is to eventually move up to the larger Cintiq, and I fully expect that if I decide to sell the smaller one I could get most of my money back by selling it online. That means I'll have bought the bigger one by saving up (the current one is almost like having a $800 or more in the bank), and I've been able to enjoy the smaller one until then, which has sped up my freelance work a TON. If I lose $200 reselling it, no big deal because I used it to earn far more than that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wacom products are niche products....Apple products are not....plus anyone who knows anything about Wacom is that they hit you with new products when you leas expect it..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    J Wilson
    mmmm! Thank you so much for the great insights!

I am definitely thinking about a 12WX now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Denart View Post

1)
    not until the end of recession I assume,
    even considering cintiq is by no means a mass-market product.
    if they're really working on something right now, than spring 2010 seems like a reasonable launch time.

and when it comes out, $ 2000 won't look like a lot of money for you, lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    Wacom products are niche products....Apple products are not....plus anyone who knows anything about Wacom is that they hit you with new products when you leas expect it..
    I knew about Intuos 4 a couple of months before it was released.

Wacom are no doubt working on a new model of cintiq to take advantage of the new level of pressure sensitivity.
    Personally, I would wait.

Members who have read this thread: 1