Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

Thanks
    Hey Rhubix! Thank you very much for your suggestions! I was eyeing a very cool japanese calligraphy pen in a pen shop the other day... It had a curved nib that you could use in different angles for varying line width. That seems like it'd be so awesome to draw with and not need to carry tons of nibs around! I might wait a little while until I get better with this cheap disposable v-pen though.. it thrills me to draw with it! Good call about the paper.. I was in a store today with large pads of bristol board on clearance for $2 for 20 sheets (wtf!!) so I picked a pad up Can't wait to try it - yet.. with bristol board it seems like I shouldn't be damaging it with bad sketches and I find myself not wanting to put a line down on it - something I thought I had totally removed with lots of cheap sketchbooks. Anyways.. to keep my promise of at least 1 drawing a day:
    Sketchbook - freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Backzorz

I should really get to updating more often, though I only draw on weekends these days. I really miss this place a lot Here's some recent stuff I've done in the last few weekends, and the arm anatomy study was today.

I pottered about this morning and browsed some used/antique book stores. Picked up 2 marvelous books! "The Human Figure" by Vanderpoel - really nice figure drawing method, but I haven't gotten far into it yet - The copy I found was inscribed inside the cover by a Russian princess in 1930. Crazy.. And "Leonardo Da Vinci's Advice to Artists" which I am absolutely fascinated by. Spent the afternoon reading the translated writings of Da Vinci to his pupils... such a clear thinker, I love his style of writing. Walked around afterwards and looked at the world with fresh eyes. Truly a gem of a book. I'm going to have to visit old book stores more often!!

I've tinkered with drawing a comic.. so I've attached thumbnails and the start of some pencils that I hope to progress more this weekend (unless i get A.D.D. again and start drawing random stuff instead)!

Everyone else hid under your bed, so I'm in your closet.
    Thanks
    Loving those musculature studies, those landscapes are pretty awesome as well ㅅㅡㅅ.
    My Sketchbook Feel free to drop in and offer advice

Thanks
    love the anatomy thing v fresh cool stuff all round. try going a bit further and completing things, and understanding Why they do what they do (muscles bunching etc)

Thanks
    Hey you have some nice life drawing studies! Have much better proportion on them than you do on the drawings from your mind. Also, make sure you have proper balance, I felt like some of your drawings were going to fall over. I like the line on the last studies you did of an arm!

Thanks
    a lot of improvement on your last post keep it up

Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Thanks
    dude, great work on the pen studies you did in your sketchbook, especially the environments - you're really good at those the muscle studies are steller! more of those please. the comic looks good, i'd like to see what it looks like inked and coloured so update dude
    DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

Thanks
    Do you live in Vancouver? I was just there! That would be an amazing city to live and draw in

Thanks
    Wow, man looking pretty good. Watch those proportions, though.

Keep posting! Once a week, at least, no good reason not to
    sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Thanks
    Thanks guys!

Care - thanks, I love anatomy. Just found a vintage copy of Grey's anatomy today for pennies, at the same used book store! I'm taking your advice today and trying to absorb the shape of the arm musculature into my brain, and examining for the first time how the shape of muscles changes. I love this stuff. That book of writings by Leonardo talks about this too - and how to use it artistically to show power and strength. I can't wait til I can have enough knowledge to use these concepts properly in art.

Pamz1e - I agree, I must work on this balance thing more. Must study some people in motion soon...

Misformikel - Cool! Yes I do live in Vancouver! What areas did you visit? I do love this city - ever since I moved here I go for long walks and even 1 year later my heart is still in my throat and my eyes wide when I see those breathtaking skyscrapers and the water and lush trees and mountains surrounding it all.. ahhhh..! Gives me visions of utopia. I always love walking around and imagining about how the city around me may look hundreds of years in the future - that's what my comic is going to be about if I get around to finishing it.

miycko - Thanks dude - I am a little stuck on the comic right now as I can't figure out how to tell a story properly, so I'm searching for a book called "The Act of Creation" by Koestler and another called "The Writer's Journey". I might redo my thumbnails and plot a bit after I read those - though I've recently been told by a wise and experienced teacher not to try and make my magnum opus at the beginning, and do simpler works. We shall see what happens, I guess!

BludHund - Thanks for visiting .. Yes sir. Once a week. I know I can do it!

On that note, I read more by Leonardo saying to always keep a pad of paper with you, so I searched around and found a thin, tiny notebook that shall now reside permanently in my back pocket.

Thanks
    I like your sketchy doodles in #114
    They're free and look easy.
    I'd like to see more of that.

Thanks
    Hi there!

Thought I'd share this album with you, it belongs to an artist from Singapore, Don Low, and I found work very inspiring! Check out the inks & watercolor work
    https://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=507600950

And keep that sketchpad with you at all times! You never know when an idea pops up I should get my hands on that Da Vinci book too.

Love the pen and ink work in post #114.

Your teacher was right. Shouldn't let the fear of wanting to make an epic comic strip hold you back from the learning process It does help to make short 1 or 2 page comics, experiment with styles and ideas. Hope to see more updates!

Hello! I'm trying to improve my artwork and I really could use your critique - S k e t c h b o o k

Thanks
    #127 seems a good observation but its kinda clean, it looks like vector.
    Maybe draw the bones underneath that would help you to check the
    muscles.

*Animation *Illustration *Comic *Caricatures *Storyboards Eco/ political/ educational- art

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast