Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LOTR rascist?

Thanks

LOTR rascist?

Saw this news report about LOTR being rascist and thought it was pretty sillly- if that's the right word...but then I am a white guy and thus inherently rascist anyway right?

here's the link
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,106818,00.html
    Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Phht. I thought that The Matrix was more rascist. Nearly every Asian person dies or has to get into some week fight with a white guy that they could easily win (yet don't) :p Seriph was the only Asian person who didn't stay dead...

And seeing as though you are Aussie Expat, watch Hi-5. That show just tries to make the Asian girl stand out. She doesn't need help though as she is the hottest of them all
    .: I am a Middle Class Member :.

Thanks
    Wasnt there a scene in the book where they talk to one or two of the dark skinned people and they arent bad people . Its been a while since i read the books though.

Aven: Wow that girl is hot. Is that a kids show or something. I wanna watch it now.

Thanks
    This is so stupid. People are always looking for a reason to point fingers and name names. I think that these people need to stop being so damn over sensitive out this and just enjoy the books/movies. I mean, you can tell these people are taking shots at this movie because its a huge hit and it will stir up controversey. If the series was only a set of books they wouldn't be so damn concerned about it. Anyone can analyze a movie and pick out racist, or agist or any thing that ends with a -ist. Its like saying "Ever noticed that in Wizard of Oz, how the lion is always scared? Yeah, the author must have something against those lions. Now, lets go make a big deal out of it." Or like in "Guess Who?" there are more men then women. (there really are, go count for yourself). Does that make the milton-bradley sexist? No!

I think that people who go to the movies and analyze them for these racist parts, are more racist then the makers or anyone else! Like, my step-sister had this black boyfriend. And I've never really had any close relationships with a black person or any other race, so I really didn't know what to say to him. So when he asked me a question I started to studder. He said something like "Oh, Allison, I didn't know you had racist step-brothers. You know what the NAACP does to them?" Of course no one stuck up for me, my dad, step mom (otherwise known by me as the B.B.B. Bobby big bitch), and step sister just sat there and laughed! Now, I'm sort of afraid to not to look at black people or to look, or look to long, or say something that might sound the least bit racist. The point of my story is that people that make a big deal out of racism are only making racism worse. Its making people afraid of being racist and as a consequence its making people racist. If that makes sense.

Thanks
    I knew treebeard was white!

Thanks
    Originally posted by winjer
    Aven: Wow that girl is hot. Is that a kids show or something. I wanna watch it now.
    LMAO. Yeah it is a kiddie show. I can't watch it though. They all have little pupet friends that they talk to and have games with. All of the pupets are fairly normal, except for the Asian girls friend. It is this bizarre tenticle creature. The funny thing about that is that it is just so Hentai related They always have to make her stand out. Whenever it comes time to dance, the four blonde bimbos pair off and she just dances by herself.

I'm not sure if it is because she is Asian, or if she is sleeping with the producer. It could also be because she seems the most intelligent out of all of them though...

btw Winjer, did you actually look it up on the net? You will also be pleased to know that you can by far too many different DVDs by them. just have a look on ebay or something.

Anyway, to sum up. LOTR is cool and Hart needs to think.

Thanks
    yeah i looked it up . i was that bored.

Thanks
    some people are so full of crap. LOTR is based on european mythology not some place with multiple races. I mean, its set in a time were people of other races were practically a legend. its more of speciesism (elves-dwarves) you know? And the orks are dark because of light and shadow. humans are creatures of light. darkness is fear. they should look at african or asian mythoglogy because that has no other races in it. or indian or aztec were whites are the bad guy. some people just stir up trouble.

and didd you read the article that said the firemen couldn't decorate there firehouses according to their religion? Christmas is christmas man, and the firemen practiclly live in that house.
    i am removed

Thanks
    [sarcasm]I'snt that very article being racist considering that Peter Jackson and J.R.R Tolkein are both WHITE? Is just becuase they are white that they are typed as racist? I want to file a complaint.[/sarcasm]

:o
    Last edited by Pencil Soldier; December 31st, 2003 at 03:56 PM.
    Don't just practice. Also Practice the right things, the right way.

Thanks
    The Uruk-hai also too closely resemble Native Americans,
    !LOL! :rofl:

That's one of the most racist things I've ever heard!!! I'll have some of whatever they're smokin'!

Thanks
    Personally I think that while it is a good thing to be tolerant and accepting of other people's races, cultures and religions the concept of 'political correctness' has begun to go too far, where it starts to restrict the personal freedoms and rights of an individual to express their feelings about an individual of another race/ culture/ religion without being labelled rascist.

Personally I think political correctness is actually just a polite exterior facade which many can adopt to hide their true prejudices.

But anyway, an example of restrictive and unnecessary PC is Christmas, as Teatime said. Here in some of our schools they wanted to take all the Christian references out of Christmas for the sake of the children of other religions. If the school is going to remove the Christian influence, they should remove the entire Christmas thing right?
    But what happened was the Islamic and Jewish leaders came out and said that it was unnecessary to do so, and that many people in their faith actually liked the story of Christmas and the themes of joy, hope, etc.

One more point- In Star Wars Episode2 we find out what Boba Fett actually looked like. I was disappointed that his mysteriousness was finally destroyed by revealing who the man was under the helmet. I posted something to that effect on theforce.net to which I was labelled a rascist, hating him because he was black!
    Now I live right near Mt Druitt, which is like the Pacific Islander capital of Sydney and have had many friends of that background- I've got nothing against them but because I didn't like the individual as that character and he happened to be a different race to mine, I was called a rascist.

oh well

Thanks
    ONE TWO THREE FOUR...

HIGH FIVE!!

*cough* Sorry. @;-)
    Chris Bowden
    http://www.artofbrain.com/ - Crawling back

Thanks
    it's great to see that the topic of rascism is bringing all the Australians together through the medium of children's entertainment.

I think there's a deep social statement in that somewhere...

Thanks
    I'm not trying to be bought together through children's TV, just hot Asian women

Ah, I miss my girlfiend

Thanks
    Ugh. Hey, guys, white is associate with being pure while black is associated with being dark ! EVERYONE HAS A RACIST MENTALITY !
    To summarize the summary of the summary : people are the problem.

Thanks
    such discussions are sooo stupid imho...

Should we shoot the sun because it's white?
    The color "white" doesn't represent people of a caucasian/nordic/european type... white is "genetically" seen a better color in which no menace could hide... sort of evolutionary thing.
    Brighter colors appear more friendly.
    Even our dog likes to go out when it's bright, he easily gets scared by dark daytimes (yep, he's a coward).

Did I mention it's a stupid discussion?
    I really dislike this fashion of exaggerating political correctness.

cu

Thanks
    You know, after reading my last post on the subject, I'm going to void it. I change my opinion. I think that people are entitled to their thoughts. But when those thoughts turn into actions that harm others, thats when they've gone too far. I could care less if someone is racist, but when they start harrassing someone else because of it. Thats when the authorities need to intervene. The people that find these vague examples of racism in movies are just as entitled to their propaganda as the racists that preach discrimination from their porches.

Thanks
    it is kind of harassing tolkien and peter jackson, you know, its saying: hey guys you're racist and you don't know it!
    i am removed

Thanks
    "1.To irritate or torment persistently.
    2.To wear out; exhaust.
    3.To impede and exhaust (an enemy) by repeated attacks or raids. " ~Dictionary.com

Look at #1. How is voicing your opinion to the media irritating or tormenting persistently? They aren't even making personal attacks (I don't think, I'm not about to re-read the article to prove a minor point.), so I wouldn't even consider it the least bit harassing.

Thanks
    That is the most pathetic thing i have ever read. Do these people have nothing better to do than trying to find fault with the best movies ever made.

Thanks
    oh. ok then. its still kind of picking on them though. its stupid to rip apart great shows i think.

im with expat on the boba fett thing. i think he should have been a pale white guy with a black greasy beard. or maybe an asian guy like bruce lee or jackie chan.
    i am removed

Thanks
    I mean, you can tell these people are taking shots at this movie because its a huge hit and it will stir up controversey
    well i just have to say that they accomplished their goal here. i mean i worked on me. it got me to click on this thread and post a reply and insert my small and inconsequencial point of view which will have no relative effect on those who's provincial views contradict my own...

what the hell did i just say?

3-leg
    never ever stick your tongue in the electrical socket.... never...
    and if you do it once dont do it again.

"I always like to drive fast when I feel that way. you get it up to around ninety-five and you feel wonderful... It's fun in the country. you hit rabbits, sometimes you hit dogs."
    -Farenheit 451

Thanks
    The lord of the rings trilogy is really racist. i mean...casting the orks and goblins in such a negative light just because their culture is deeply rooted in murder and genocide?! i mean...c'mon...that's their culture! and portraying dragons and wargs as being slobbering beasts of burden, when they are, in fact, truly an enlightened race of animals despite decades of oppression?

wait...i missed the point here didn't i? what were we talking about again? oh...nothing of importance? very well then.
    My Sketchbook

check out the website:

ten30one studios

Thanks
    hang on Teatime!
    I think you missed by point about Boba Fett.
    My problem wasn't that he was portrayed by Temuera Morrison, a Maori actor, it was that the man under the mask was revealed at all...Boba Fett's mystery was a huge part of his appeal and to have him revealed left me cold...
    although hearing his New Zealand accent, or perhaps his 'Druitt' accent (as I said i live near a place called Mt Druitt which is like the Pacific Islander capital of Sydney) basically took me right out of the movie. The films are set in a galaxy far far away and yet he sounded exactly like all the guys who live down the road from me...i'm not sure if you get what i mean.
    Anyway it was the other people who thought I hated him because he was black...personally I would've liked him to have been a bit more alien rather than just a straight human but I guess that's racist huh?

Also Teatime, a white guy with a greasy beard? Sounds like George Lucas.

Thanks
    Man if I was American Indian I would wanna kill that guy. American Indians do not look like the Uruk-hai! wtf! If they did the Europeans would have run away and never returned.

I also found that that whole page pissed me off. I hate political correctness, and I think it should be punishable by a bitch-slap.

The second article was funny as well as annoying though.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    WARNING SARCASM: Actually the uruk-hai did, if you listened carefully, speak with the stereotypical haltingly broken english that is shown in any western. "No spoil half-lings" "Saruman want halflings alive"

actually the spoke better english than the hobbits. interesting... Maybe Jackson was racist against the English.

3-leg
    never ever stick your tongue in the electrical socket.... never...
    and if you do it once dont do it again.

"I always like to drive fast when I feel that way. you get it up to around ninety-five and you feel wonderful... It's fun in the country. you hit rabbits, sometimes you hit dogs."
    -Farenheit 451

Thanks
    This is almost as Pathetic has the Dungeon and Dragon
    case's.
    I decided that it was not wisdom that enabled "Poets" to write their poetry, but a kind of instinct or inspiration, such as you find in seers and prophets who deliver all their sublime messages without knowing in the least what they mean.(Socrates)

Thanks
    Oh christ.. this is a joke right?

Thanks
    intellectual masturbation...
    I'm a manky artist, don't mess with me

Thanks
    Whats that? Sounds like fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast