Thanks

I'm Not Sure Where This Should Go (Animal Logic related)

- as I have recently arrived from abroad, and I do not know your city.

I was wondering if anyone here had worked at Animal Logic during the production of Happy Feet. I'm working on an article about the film for my dinky little film blog (which you can access below), and I thought it might be nice to try and get some pieces of insight from those who'd worked on it.

And another reason (because there always is one) I wanted to ask you guys if any of you had worked on the film was that there was a rumor of a large chunk of plot being cut out of the film at the last minute, involving honest-to-bob aliens, not in the metaphorical sense as the film used them, but genuine extraterrestrials.

Apparently, they showed pieces of concept art for these scenes at the Siggraph presentation in 2007, and others that I've talked to have mentioned that it was particularly important to the plot of the film, and that what ended up in theaters was the result of gathering it all back together, with those pieces excised. For my part, I think it still holds up well, but I've been thinking about including this as part of the piece that I've been working on.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by BuffaloWilder; June 9th, 2009 at 10:07 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yes, there were real Aliens (extraterrestrials - not 'aliens' meaning humans) in the original concept and initial production. The end punch line was them finding mumble and saying something along the lines of "Well at least we know there's intelligent life on this planet" (referring to the penguins, not humans).... Thankfully that was cut. The original shot of the earth from space hints at this, but that's all that remains. That's all I know. Funny how much a film can change in development.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Puck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    Yes, there were real Aliens (extraterrestrials - not 'aliens' meaning humans) in the original concept and initial production. The end punch line was them finding mumble and saying something along the lines of "Well at least we know there's intelligent life on this planet" (referring to the penguins, not humans).... Thankfully that was cut. The original shot of the earth from space hints at this, but that's all that remains. That's all I know. Funny how much a film can change in development.
    Really? Huh. I could see that working, I suppose, although I have to wonder - was it played as a serious moment, or something more ironic?

Do you know of what part they played, throughout the rest of the film - how this plotline developed, I mean? This 'spaceship' I keep hearing about, and something about some kind of 'face in the ice,' during the scene featuring the leopard seal.

Hmm. The plot, it thickens.
    Last edited by BuffaloWilder; June 10th, 2009 at 01:00 AM.

Thanks
    You know, truth be told, if anyone had that aforementioned concept art, that'd be great, as well. But, that's probably stretching my luck, I'm sure.

Thanks
    I might as well bump this.

Thanks
    You know, as long as I'm in the neighborhood, would anybody happen to know who drew up this piece from 2003? I just happened by it a little while back.

It's an interesting alternative approach, I think.

Thanks
    So, just an update - there are still remaining traces of this ending in several of the tie-in games, most notably the wireless mobile phone game, which ends with this screen:

This mystery, it thickens. Again, anyone who might be able to shed some light on this whole thing, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    you've been writing an article about this for 6 months?

just curious why are you so fascinated that they took a scene with extraterrestrials out?

Thanks
    Oh, I've long since finished the article - it turned into something entirely other, actually. One piece of many in a Project between myself and another armchair film critic on the best films of the decade - but, it's him and a few others that have kept me interested in this aspect of the film, because of what it (potentially) adds to an already pretty-interesting movie. I've kind of been wanting to write something centered entirely around this aspect, but I've very little to go on, outside of what I've been told by the other animators who've worked on the film and what's been left in some of those shitty tie-in games, and all of that kind of thing.

I'm also trying to piece together some of the versions of George Miller's other films that haven't yet seen the light of day, like that twenty-minutes-longer version of Beyond Thunderdome that nobody's ever seen, and so on. But, that's - basically - why I've been keeping at this thing for such a long while.