Thanks

File backup solutions for the digital artist

I've had some really good luck when it comes to hard drives, but I know at some point that luck is going to run out and I am going to lose files that I would really prefer to keep around.

Right now I have two external hard drives, both with different sets of files on them, as well as my 300gb laptop hard drive with a bunch of current work that I also have yet to backup. What I'm looking for is what types of backup systems you guys use to keep your files safe and secure. Do you have just an external hard drive or two that you write to frequently? Do you use a RAID-1 array via an enclosure or a server? Maybe even a metric ton of floppy disks? I have a lot of options, and I just want to know what everybody here is using.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I just have one external hard drive that I backup manually from time to time... yeah, I know, not good enough.

A lot of people these days seem to use online backup services, stuff like Carbonite to do all their backing up. I haven't really looked into it though.
    MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

Thanks
    I have 2 terabyte drives setup in mirror raid.

Thanks
    I use an internal 1T mirror RAID in my main pc, and a separate mirror RAID in a 'vault' server. No more lost work do to hardware failures here, I've been there.

The Vault will probably be updated to a QNAP 4 or 6 disk RAID5 system in the future, but these things cost a pretty sum.

Thanks
    I use JungleDisk which keep my stuff nice an secure on Amazon S3 servers . Also one external drive I update pretty frequently.

Thanks
    If you're reading this: BACKUP NOW! SRSLY! JUST GO BACK EVERYTHING UP RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND!!!

Then, go draw @:-)

On topic: I backup to external hard drive, with occasional backup to DVD. Used to use personal online space as storage, and then my host disappeared along with my backup, so a little hesitant with online stuff. Mind you, there's plenty of reputable companies out there. Just don't make one venue your only backup.
    Chris Bowden
    http://www.artofbrain.com/ - Crawling back

Thanks
    mmm I pretty much dont back up, dont have an external hardrive or anything like that, this thread has given me the creeps now 0_0

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ookchk View Post
    I just have one external hard drive that I backup manually from time to time... yeah, I know, not good enough.
    Same here...

Thanks
    Ever since I almost lost everything I've been backing everything important up to an external drive. It automatically backs up my art folder every night so I should never lose too much. Everything else I backup manually

Thanks
    Some really solid advice so far, thanks guys.

If I were to set up a mirrored drive, what would I need to set it up to automatically back up certain folders every night? Google's turning up a lot of different software solutions, but I feel a little lost with all the information; I'd rather just have a solid recommendation from you guys.

Thanks
    I´m just living a dangerous life... Need to backup ASAP!
    My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 667 Posts
    You need to worry about more than just the physical act of backing up. You need to worry about your ability to retrieve the backups in the future. You need to backup the machines you use to read your backups.

I backed up everything I wanted out of my thrashed XP machine on a CD before I went Linux, but the Vista machine I have on the side for purposes of running Windows programs conveniently won't open that disk. Neither will other Vista machines. I know it is not the disk because I opened the disk and opened its files on a Windows 98 machine last weekend. Everybody keeps changing around everything behind your back. If I didn't keep a few various old machines around, I would think my media are corrupted when in fact it is just stupid OS design.

Thanks
    You would have to be using some crazy format to cause problems. A CD/DVD iso is going to be read the same on any machine, its a standard format after all.

I've never had a hard drive failure and I've had a computer before most people even knew what a computer was. I still back up on external drive though, its the cheapest solution especially when a terabyte of data is like $80 nowadays.

Thanks
    Has anyone used Time Machine to back their stuff up? I use a Mac for most of my work, and I don't really like getting a new program if there's a native solution that will do just as well. Helps control the bloat.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Backing up hasn't been as important for me at present because most of my work comes from painting traditionally.

I do however backup on a 500gb external at times through time machine. When I do more digital stuff I will probably take up some more precautions, such as a second HDD and discs for the the important work. Its not really a worry as long as the hardware is looked after and you have several backup solutions.

Thanks
    Thanks to this thread, I finally took the time to set up Time Machine on my Mac, so I now have daily backups!! wooooo