Wizard of Oz future
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Wizard of Oz future

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wizard of Oz future

Hi again everyone,

This is an update on the "Wizard of Oz redesigned for the future" project I'm working on for the illustration workshop next week.

I abandoned the steampunk path and went for just more straight ahead future so the artist who posted a week ago upset about how people aren't nailing the steampunk style can rest easy (whew!).

Let me know what you think of the character designs so far and for my initial thumbnail for a composition. For what it's worth, I'm not really sure at all what I would like the picture to look like so if you have specific artists to point me to and even better specific pieces or techniques I would love it. Next up will be a post of just thumbnail ideas for compositions. I have a bunch I'm working with.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my work and comment and I'll see some of you there I'm sure.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by snasitra; April 20th, 2011 at 06:07 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o wow! these are awsom!

got two comments though:
    1. i have a little bit of trouble understanding the scarecrows face.. what are these ellements that's sticking out of his had? and what is the purpose with the rock on it's back? don't get me wrong it's a very cool character, i just think it needs more refining and defenition..
    2. i think Dorothy came out a little bit too "simple" in the her 'makeover'.. plus, i do believe that inspite giving her that edgy feeling, there should remain an innocent aspect in her personality, which at her current stage is missing..

i love these charcters and think it would be really intersting to see how this will all come together as a whole! pls post more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey very nice! i really like the way you render them. i agree with the comment about dorothy.
    you may want to improve the poses on them though they feel unbalanced with the tinman's pose and the scarecrow, probably the way their legs are going a little too much to the side. dorothy's pose is kinda stiff, u should try and make it more dynamic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Noa K View Post
    and what is the purpose with the rock on it's back? don't get me wrong it's a very cool character, i just think it needs more refining and defenition..
    i think its a cage, for the bird.

very nice style, i can't wait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments. I'm in agreement with Dorothy and I'm scrapping this one and making a new concept. These are some thumbnails of my idea. I want her to have a dress with trinkets of her childhood attached to it and I want to get almost a mishmashed style to her outfit... Maybe Bjork, circu 1995 or something like that. That's my thought at least.

Thanks for the comments and good guess of that thing on his back being a cage! I'm not done with the rendering so I could see how it would just look like a big rock. I hadn't even really started to render that yet. I just wanted some general feedback before going too far.

Last edited by snasitra; April 20th, 2011 at 06:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Both the old and new Dorothy seem to lack a proper pelvis. I can see it as part of a style but it looks a bit weird when her head is almost as wide as her hips.

As concepts, I like the rendition of the tin man the most. The new Dorothy has more flow but now I get more of a Fae feeling than "A girl moved into a magic land.". Perhaps the most engaging Dorothy lies somewhere in between?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Joorin,

Could you clarify what you mean by "lacking a proper pelvis"? Maybe a trace over of how you would approach it. I'm also not understanding what you mean by a "Fae" feeling. Could you explain this a bit to me?

Also, could you point me to some artists who perhaps push anatomy as I'm trying here in a way you would consider successful. It would help to reference what I'm doing to some people I am perhaps not aware of.

Thanks for the crit and for taking time to look at my work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love these.
    I like where you are going with the new Dorothy; just watch the Ashlotte (Oh! Great) inspiration. It's just the bustle, though, so it's probably fine.
    Great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments. I'm actually still working on more sketches for Dorothy. I love that Ashlotte character. I wasn't aware of her but now that I am, I'm going to go and rip it off even more. Tastefully of course. Don't want to get in trouble.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By "Fae" I meant "from the land of the Fae", or "fairies". It has the slenderness and thin frame of a typical pixie and not a human female.

In my (very quick) paint over, I've marked the connecting points, as I see them, and it's not going to be much space left for a bladder, a uterus with its pieces and small intestines. The thigh bones connect to the pelvis with a kind of crooked end making it hard to fit them together with the rest.

I've also marked what I see as the width of the head and how wide her pelvis looks.

As for other artist, I'd suggest anyone who draws elves in a way that you like but this is only because I get that feeling from your sketch.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Britt,

I think some of the characters are leaning a bit, the tin man looks off balance and so does the scarecrow. I'll do a paintover when i get home tonight.

-Jae-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm in love with the way that you redesigned the characters, and the new direction that you're going with dorothy is going to be fantastic. the trinket skirt is a great idea it still gives her the feel of a country girl look, though i might push that a little more. her character IS someone that has been pushed completely out of her element, i.e. kansas to (?).

but that's also dependent on how you're re-imagining the character of dorothy and if changes in her personality occur, so be it ^^

as to the other characters, the tin man looks great, though i agree, seeing him in a more dynamic pose and expression would be a good idea. my only other issue is the scarecrow.

i don't understand the metal breastplate on his chest? i know that these are supposed to be them in the future, but i love the way all of him is so organic and spindly. and then we have a metal breastplate...is it like a pacemaker in lieu of having a heart?

other than that, AWESOME. ^^ keep at it, i really want to see how these characters turn out!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.