NEWBORN - 'With Acquiesce the End' and 'Interregnum Continuance'.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Updated 6/7th July.

Two pieces on the go. Will show workings for 'Aciquiesce....' the 'Interregnum....' will come as a suprise when its ready. All meaning and symbolism will be explained when pieces are finished.

'With Acquiesce the End' will go here.

'Interregnum Continuance' will go here.

Last edited by RoyCook; July 7th, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Session 1

Ok then here are the first little test's. Not yet lit properly or textured and no proper atmosphere just some very low detail tests. Plan on making it much more surreal and having a second landscape over the top and an organic form inbetween to split them up creating a 'cave' type scene. The scale of the scene will be totally up to interpretation in the finished compostion as in could be massive, tiny or anywhere in between. We are also talkiing interpretation when it comes to the 'newborn' and 'life' aspect of it too as we are talking organic life, landscapes and other things.

Not making much sense at the moment but all will become clear in time I promise.

Let me know what you think for now.
    Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RoyCook; June 10th, 2009 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for a "test" this looks rather intriguing. I can't wait to see some more

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Session 2

Only session 2 still though and still low quality tests and experiments just to find my feet with this topic. Once Im happy with this, the focal landscape others will start to be added.

Thanks let me hear your input.

Last edited by RoyCook; July 6th, 2009 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Session 3

At the end of Session 3. Finalised first set of rock formations, added two more terrains and in last two images added a basic start to an atmosphere (cloud altitudes are way off Im aware).

Starting to become the basic skeleton of the image now, still not properly a finalised atmosphere and still no texture what so ever.

Sorry if this all seems like a lot of talk at the moment, will come along nicely I promise (well I hope). Sorry for large image sizes but thought it was important to capture the smaller details, sorry though if it causes you with smaller monitors any annoying viewing cause I know it used to bug me.

Has anyone found out what the dimensions of the final image have to be yet, 1000 pixels wide and how high?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by RoyCook; June 10th, 2009 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fascinating to watch this, Roy.
    Not a way of working I've ever tried. Intriguiing indeed.

__________________________________________________ __________

Nick Harris illustration http://nickillus.com/ SKETCHBOOK GALLERY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, I really hope I string some people in to really watching it progress.

Thank you very much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking very interesting cant wait to see the concept come into this world!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Session 4

Last work on basic rock formations. Wont update with anymore of these until I have either some major changes to atmosphere and lighting or textures or something else big.

Dont think Ill be having water just added it as a experiment.

Sessions 1-4 altogether in a big image here if anyone is interested :- http://rc3d.deviantart.com/art/Working-1-4-125488148

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Session 5

Some more work done through last night.

Worked on setting it up around a fixed camera position so I have a better idea of where to place things as I did not before. Will keep this a final compostion although it will obviously get tweaked and have things added and removed along the way.

Still not properly lit or textured, the current atmosphere is just a quick experimental one.

Have to starting working on stuff above head to create the cavernous type landscape and start working on the organic form. I have ideas for the organic form from old notes but havnt started actually working on it yet.

But yeah any thoughts on the composition at the moment? The last image at the bottom is the compostion I have settled upon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Session 6

Ok finalised the composition of the landscape/cave, started working on some basic lighting just to get me going but will wait till the while scene is properly set-up with the organic form and everything before lighting properly. Will probably go with quite a ambient light so it brings out all the details in the rocks, also keep in mind they are still now textured so once they are that will add aditional detail.

Going to begin work on the organic form and texture now.

You can see the composition changes through the pieces, settled upon the last one. Sorry lighting gain was bumped farrrrr too high up on that first one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The process just boggles my mind, but everything looks great! Sorry for being a dunce, but what software do you use?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you mean by the process boggles your mind? Glad its some feedback though, I seem to be recieving very little. The software is a combination of Cinema 4D and Vue 7 XSream, all work in done inside Cinema 4D using Vue's intergration. I will also be bringing in Mudbox soon to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Seems to have a gone a bit a bit quite on the feedback front yeah I guess sometimes people got nothing to say - too busy creating possibly. Anyway as far your creation goes Im digging it I have been holding off making a comment until I can see where it was going. It seems to me you are refining your idea but the narrative has not fully manifested yet in your posts so far. Or it could be Im just not getting it? Looks very cool anyway - I will be looking for what happens next.

Mind made worlds.

www.alexkellyart.co.uk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyCook View Post
    What do you mean by the process boggles your mind? Glad its some feedback though
    3d software is a new area for me so I've just started playing around with it (hence the mind boggling)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh okay. Ive always just found the freedom of 3D software great, I think this is a thing that is more unique to me though, Ive always just been very much involved in the creaive and artistic side of it rather than the technical, such as clean topologys and rigging etc...... Ive always found great joy in creating a huge scene and the exploring it digitally and rendering out small detailed parts very much as if I were exploring somewhere with a camera. Maybe Im just strange. Lately though Ive had a real urge to work more artisticly digtially freehand with a wacom or something though, unfortunatly as Im a student I cannot afford one yet. My method of working with 3D is probably why my idea's and pieces progressions seems so 'unorganised' and all over the place, my pieces tend to come fully together in the last few stages.

Graphicgolem you mentioned a narrative to attach to the piece. I have been really getting more involved with sites like this where peoples are illustrators for graphic novels etc... thats probably a bit of a broad statement but I am sure you can grasp my meaning. I much my prefer my work to based upon emotive notes and sketches and to have my work interpreted and just explored by each person individually, obviously all my work will all have it own personal meaning and motives behind it by I wont so to speak publish a story with it or a attach a story behind it.

Sorry to waffle Im very waffley lately my minds a bit of a mess lots of personal shinanigans going on.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Session 7 and 8

Increased the sense of grandeur of the cave, also made the first steps in creating the organic form that will be incoporated into the scene.

Really need to texture the landscape though.

Sessions 5-8 together here - http://rc3d.deviantart.com/art/Working-5-8-125932476

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah this piece is looking to be magnificient! i love the rocks and landscape.. the organic blob thingy is also looking great!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful textures and a sense of massive features developing here, Roy. Really looking forward to seeing how these elements will fit together.

Nick Harris illustration http://nickillus.com/ SKETCHBOOK GALLERY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rocks and landscape are still not textured remember Nickillus so with any luck once they are they will look even more detailed and better, I know how I want to fit the two elements together but its going to be tricky I tells you know.

Thank you for the comments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Session 9 to 12

Okay then havn't updated it in a little bit. I have been working on this though but just not making any real big changes or spending proper time on it Ive just been opening it up and twiddling it about a bit. Spent some proper time on it today though.

Ive decided Im going to start wrapping this and hoefully have it finished by Tuesday 23rd. I think Im not totally sure but I think Im going to go with a tree rather than the previously posted organic form.

Still to do:-

-Tweak material number 6.
    -Finalize tree.
    -Re-do lighting and atmosphere.
    -Fix a few rock forms, mainly the one nearest the camera.

Those are just a few of the little fixes before I finish it, there are several other things but there too small to even list.

In terms of the meaning of the piece, abstract and literal I have that all sorted and will post that along with the finished piece.

Session 9-11 are simply wireframes and viewport shots as some people over at CGSociety wanted to see some. Session 12 is a material test, I think I am going to go with six which is a mix of 5 and 3, it still needs a bit of work though.

Anyway at this stage I would really like some feedback.

Thanks!

Session 9 and 10 - Click thumbnail

Session 11 - Click thumbnail

Session 12

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the feedback has been limited because a lot of people might be unfamiliar with this kind of work and speechless (in a good way)
    Your process and your posts are very intriguing and really forces the viewer to think and soak it all in to understand what is going on--most definitely a unique approach to the contest

[CENTER]
    My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you. At this stage Im just looking for any peoples opinions on the current aesthetic on the piece regardless of media use. Anyway the piece is coming along nicely and nearing completion. Only another 2 or 3 updates here I would say before its done.

Thank you for watching.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhhhh despite yesterdays witterings Ive actually decided to roll this piece back abit. I spent some time just looking at my landscape and eviroment outside of the fixed composition and decided that the composition just wasnt doing the grandeur and details any justice. On top of this because of the set-up of it lighting it properly and fitting the other elements that are coming into the image was near impossible.

I have decided to in a sense dismantle all 11 elements of the landscape and reduce the scale of each ones forms from 1 to anywhere inbetween 0.6 and 0.8 this will increase detail further and make things feel even larger. I have now also set-about completely re-laying each landscape to make a completly different set-up and will also re-light the whole thing. Meaning behind the piece and everything is still the same just needs to be layed out differently.

This is all quite a daunting task, any motivation would be appreciated.

Cheerssssssssssssss people.

EDIT

Just realised the didnt make much sense in simple terms I am doing the following.

Editting each piece slightly.
    Re-positioning everything.
    Completely re-lighting.
    Finding space to add in the other elements of the image.
    Maybe re-texturing.

So no need to make any new elements just having to find a new solution to bring them together.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol the edit helped a bit

You obviously know what you're doing already, so go do it! it's only daunting if you think it is the whole time. If you just think "I got it under a control, i just have to do this, this, and that...bam.done", it will much more enjoyable.

[CENTER]
    My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have it under control, just abouts, constant fiddling of little details gets tedious, see if I had a wacom I could paint these out afterward in 2D, well thats my motivation for the competition. Not really though,
    Was just looking for some ego stroking to be honest.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,495 Times in 3,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still not sure where the 'newborn' bit comes in, but it's fascinating to watch the development.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All will be explained in due time, as in when I release the final image my friend.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,495 Times in 3,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wait with bated breath so I can say, "Fandabidozy!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Session 13 to 21

Wahey lots and lots of updates after nearly a whole day and nearly a whole night fiddling about here we have some updates. I went off and tryed something different and then came back to the original and then in the end kind of did something different but stuck closely to the original. These sessions will be all over the shop because of this but I eventually arived at Session 21 which I really really like and just needs some haze removing from the atmosphere and needs textures editing to the left, this will now be easy to fill with the other elements of my image and should still be finished by Tuesday.

At the end of session 13-14 you can see a sneak peak of a kind of tree that will be filling my piece except they wont looks as hideous as that one and when I say filling they will be strategically placed.

As unproductive and frustrating this has felt at times I think it has been a massive massive learning experience.

Thank you.

Image 1 - Session 13-14
    Image 2 - Session 15
    Image 3 - Session 16-19
    Image 4 - Session 20-21

Last edited by RoyCook; June 19th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.