Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Hollywood's Hyper Reality and Lack of Imagination.....The Sky is Falling

Rodolfo Damaggio
    http://homepage.mac.com/damaggio/PhotoAlbum30.html

Justin Sweet
    http://www.justinsweet.com/

I was told that storyboard and concept artists like Rodolfo Damaggio and Justin Sweet are being replaced by 3D Software computer geeks and cut and paste photo collage artists because the 'Director' for movies can't visualize 'line art'.

I got this information from a 20 year veteran in the industry......so don't kill the messenger. I'm just parodying what I was told.

Apparently, there's this up and coming MTV generation that's very computer bias and dismisses traditional skills....accuses traditional drawing skill as not 'real' enough.

This is about the Movie industry. Since there's only so many movies churned out every year, maybe this isn't worth worrying about......but how do you feel traditional drawing skills is relevant to the movie Industry?
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Directors can't visualise line art? I thought they need some visual skills too . Interesting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    If a director can't extrapolate live action from Justin Sweet's concept art then (s)he isn't fit to direct traffic, let alone a film.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Tangent: I wouldn't want Michael Bay to direct my traffic...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Didn't Hitchcock storyboard his movies himself?

I can understand that photo collaging and 3d might help with pre-viz somewhat, but to dismiss traditional altogether just seems stupid.

Thanks
    Isn't the real question whether the final product suffers because a different process is used, rather than which process is used at all?

I understand you might find a traditional approach to storyboarding more appealing (and I'd agree with that) but if the final product is up to the same quality as before, in the same time or faster, then more power to the "software geeks."

And I'm really not sure you should be using that term at all, since, you know, I'm sure storyboard artists need the same important core skills whether they use 3D or 2D. Phrasing, shot choice, angles, progression, all that jazz.
    Last edited by Scorched; June 8th, 2009 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks
    "...3D Software computer geeks and cut and paste photo collage artists..."

If we'd use your mentality, we'd still be using chiesel and stone to make art. It still takes tremendous knowledge of the moving medium to make a good storyboard.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CGMonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I got this information from a 20 year veteran in the industry......so don't kill the messenger. I'm just parodying what I was told.
    Then I'm assuming you think traditional drawing skills are akin to using chiesels and stones?
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Thanks
    I'm guessing you're talking about doing the boards in 3d, cuz yeah, for people trained solely in 3d they could pose the scene and screen cap it just as fast if not faster than someone else could draw it up and put quick values on it.

I can't imagine the top pros being in any trouble of not finding work though...

But I'd say there is a definite shift to purely digital no paper involved in the process ever approach going on nowadays.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    The methodology for a given project evolves all the time, as long as you're willing to accept the downside--I can storyboard a scene change in the middle of the Gobi Desert with a pencil and bad toilet paper if need be, no electric power needed. Lose this ability and all your fancy-pants equipment is just about as useful as wet matches. The same skills and training are still needed to be able to cope with any situation.

The bad part of this isn't the effect on the artists, it's what it says about the new crop of semi-retarded idiots calling themselves directors. You should be able to visualize a scene and it's potential from the excited hand-waving and babbling of a six-year-old. If not, get a job you can do, like asking if i want fries with my emu burger.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's called pre vis or storyboard software, and tends to be faster and cheaper than getting a real artist - at least for a mid sized company shooting realistic dramas and comedies.

Thanks
    dude spend less time worrying about the here say of your 20 year old artist buddies whom Ill assume are still wet behind the ears.Spend more time exploring as many mediums as you can while stretching your skill sets and passions across multiple disciplines. "...3D Software computer geeks and cut and paste photo collage artists..." Remember a biased artist is a limited artist. In case your not aware versatility is virtue in the commercial industry and your worth is measured by what and how you can contribute to a production pipe line. As far as traditioinal vs digital goes well thats a load of shit argument from the get go, and I can name off more then a few AAA and feature film production house and commercial studios that employ both tradition and digital artist who can go back and forth between mediums. The point is in the end the medium isnt supposed to restrict or define whom you are and what you can do, your supposed to redefine what can be done with mediums.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I talked to a major budget Movie production artist.

You'll just have to take my word for it, this is what he said.
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider View Post
    I talked to a major budget Movie production artist.

emo post not needed .

Nose this has nothing to do with "emo" after all this is your outlook on the commercial world I have absolutely no emotional concern rather you choose to except the reality that is going on around your or not. You posted a " emo-centric" rant in the lounge voicing your concern about a world you feel is changing. All I attempted to do is share some of my knowledge from experience with you. what ever you choose to except in the end I hope it gives you peace of mind. Good luck!
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    dude spend less time worrying about the here say of your 20 year old artist buddies whom Ill assume are still wet behind the ears.
    Im not saying I disagree, but I think he said "20 year veteran" not "20 year old." I read that to mean the guy had been in the industry for 20 years, which would explain his attatchment to the old-timey but still effective mediums.

As for the idea of digi vs trad stuff; where I'm working we work with both but the AD prefers my traditional marker work and usually insists that I do that, especially on anything that he thinks might go well in an art book. Other artists do more digital, and others are going back and forth. We've had a few cases where my lead has me work out a composition, pose, and base sketches and another guy who is a fantastic digi-painter finish them off. I bring this all up because it seems to me that many companies still see the need for traditional work but also want to incorporate the benefits of digital.

I highly doubt that traditional media will ever entirely be put out of use for either film or games, though I suppose there will always be Uwe Bolls out there who can't wrap their little minds around what is actually required of them professionally. I'd be interested to see their movies compared to those who have the mental power to follow these cyptic hieroglyphics known as "hand drawn story boards."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast