IDW #101: Speedbirds

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #101: Speedbirds

Topic: Speedbirds

Background: The racing planes and cars of old have been a major inspiration for designers over the years. During the golden age of racing many legendary races and prizes were set up to aid the technical advancement of these vehicles. Most bits of technology you find in modern cars and airplanes stems from that era, in fact. Also, the no-nonsense and strong designs of those early race monsters still manage to captivate many a kid or grown-up with and evokes a sense of awe and wonder.

One of those famous races was the Schneider Trophy, a race for seaplanes. It was held 11 times between 1913 and 1931, and became a contest for pure speed over a triangular lap. (More about the Schneider Trophy here: Wikipedia - Schneider Trophy)

The actual topic for this round, however, is inpired by a book that came out recently: Speedbirds. The book is a tribute to those old race monsters, and apart from a lot of drawings and lists of the old classics it also has a section with modern interpretations of those. The main theme is the Schneider Trophy projected into the future, and though most of the drawn airplanes probably won't ever be able to fly, the designs are still awesome to look at. Find more about this project here: Speedbirds.blogspot.com)

The challange for this round is to do a bit of research to come up with your favourite speed monster from before or close after WWII, and then translate that into a future version that could compete in the Schneider Trophy -meaning it has to take off and land on water, at least. Include sketches of your chosen classic car or airplane in your final entry!

Brief:
    1. Design and draw a speedbird for the Schneider Trophy of the future!
    2. First find a classic racingcar or airplane that will form the inspiration for your speedbird, and include studies from this vehicle in your final entry -quality of these sketches is entirly up to you, they're meant as studies!
    3. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Monday, June 15

Name:  IDW logo3 smallest.JPG
Views: 2518
Size:  7.9 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh Gosh, Oh Jolly! Dibs on a Messerschmidt rip off! I love you man
    The Spitfire was attractive aswell, but i just have a thing for the "knife"

Heres some sketches. The Engine is bugging me, i spend waaay too much time on the design and it still looks bad.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rabies; June 8th, 2009 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeeeey nice one, i'm in
    I'll start of my sketches based on this beauty:
    (Granville Brothers Model R-1 Super Sportster)

I'd love some constructive criticism : my sketchbook TY for taking the time
    Let's all just be friends and chill the f*** out, k ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cotletan
    Nice a real little muscle devil Can we see some sketches soon?

Heres some trashed action poses. I tried to make it cartoony, and tried out some textures. But it think im going with a realistic type of thing...

Last edited by Rabies; June 9th, 2009 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

An old IDW'er...

Rabies - you've already mentioned you weren't happy with the engines but to compete in the Schneider Trophy you plane is going to have to be a flying-boat or seaplane - you might need to look into the practicality of the placement of jet engines on flying-boats to get your design to work.

Cotletan - the Gee-Bee is a great aircraft but is it a good idea to start with something already so stylised. It feels the topic is to produce something from a conventional aircraft into the style of the Gee-Bee and other racers rather than starting from it. Either way it will be interesting to see how you take the design and work it round into a S-Trophy eligible aircraft - look forward to seeing how you go with it.

------------
    Yoitisi, a great topic with so much possibilty and style.

Now I hope I can take this as a chance to return to IDW.

Thinking of going with:
    or maybe something a bit older like
    or the SE5

See how things go.

Last edited by D-Holme; June 9th, 2009 at 11:26 AM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-Holme
    Thanks, I just figured id look into the floating later and come up with some kind of high tech floating device, since this would be a future Schneider Cup. I hadnt thourd of the engine placement

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-Holme - ty for the input and valid problems to, but here is my take on it. 1st'ly, the Bee aint stylized at all, it only has that look becaus the goal was to get a much hp in the plane as possible. 2nd'ly, any design can be redesign to bring it farthermore into the future, like changing the propultion and what not ...
    Moving on to your project, i like the 1st plane, but that's just my teast. Looking frw to your next posts.

Rabies - ty, i just love this muscleplane... as for the sketches, i don't know if i'll post any, i'm not entierly sure of my ability but my final one will look like sugary eye candy goodness ... i hope haha

I'd love some constructive criticism : my sketchbook TY for taking the time
    Let's all just be friends and chill the f*** out, k ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like the topic. I have a start but dont know I will get it done. Kiddo has a softball tourney out of town so time is limited. Anyway, I found this great ol pic of a concept Formula-3 car. I have searched and searched but other than this pic and title, can not find any info. but it looks right up the alley for this so I am going with it and have a rough sketch. I might add some touches of Chip Foose's latest design.

I am adding my first rough sketch here and will update here until done, if I can get it done. I had the perspective done on paper and looked good, then I got to goofin around digitally and kinda got some of it off. its a start.

Really struggled painting the iso, so I took a break, did a little redesign and worked from the side view for a bit. not done by far, but looking better. I got some more done but gotta get out of town and dont know I will finish. I had high hopes this would turn out much better.

Last edited by Dragonspit; June 12th, 2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: add another update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-Holme: hey man great to see you around again As for using the BeeGee to design from, I don't think it matters that much. In fact, it might be easier to use something that stylised because if done well the exagerated parts will form a strong link between past and future. Taking a more conventional plane will need a more subtle approach. The book I linked has both I think.

Dragonspit: Hope you can finish something! No idea what that thing in the picture is, looks really interesting though Looks a bit like two Salt Flat racing bikes welded together into a F1 car rather than a racecar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can you use planes that only got to the prototype stage in that era? Also I found a cool site for refs.

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/usplanes/american.htm

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to legendarybarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by legendarybarr View Post
    Can you use planes that only got to the prototype stage in that era? Also I found a cool site for refs.

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/usplanes/american.htm
    Wow, really some cool planes and ideas in there. I have seen some of even the odd ones, but there are some in there I was, holy hell, that thing can fly? interesting to say the least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finished the engine design and moved it to fit the seaplane thing. moved some other stuff around aswell, C&C welcome.

Sorry about the side scrolling, ill size it down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just FYI, there's a fantastic book by Tom Foxworth called The Speed Seekers, published by Doubleday in that deals with the Thompson Trophy and Schneider Cup racers, and includes some info on racers that were projected but never built. It's long OP, but if you know a a/c buff they might have a copy, or you could try your local library's search service.

Some great designs you guys have come up with! I used to be an aviation illustrator, might actually give this one a try...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yoitisi - it's good to be back (or at least free enough to work on stuff.)

Rabies - I see where you're going with the design, your approach was much further into the future than I'd considered the tecnology. If you're unsure how you want to develope your design you might want to look back at your reference - currently you've lost all the elements that make the me262 distinctive, perhaps thinking about the strong design aspects (long nose, high cockpit and tail) can help you move things forward.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to D-Holme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here goes some work in progress, (dunno if it will end up in anything interesting)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is based on a design for the 1929 Schneider Trophy race by Ing. Giovanni Pegna, the Piaggio PC7, which, due to development difficulties, never actually flew... but it was a real plane. The nose was so long they nicknamed it "Pinocchio", and the general idea was to get it up to speed by using the prop in back, at which point the hydrofoils would lift the nose clear of the water. Then you'd switch power from the 800hp Isotta-Fraschini V-12 to the airscrew and take off.

I picture mine as using three small afterburning turbojets and a powerful waterjet - like in a jet-ski - to provide marine power.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feil Magnus - it looks like you've made some choices that should lead to and interesting design but the wip is so muddled it's hard to make anything out. You might want to loose the wheels or change them for floats to give the plane its water take-off and landing ability. It's hard to read the text as it's so small but you seem to mention a lot of armament that would seem unnecessary for a racing-craft.

Alembic - a good start looks like a proper speed-machine, I remember seeing the original plane somewhere, with its peculiar prop-shaft mounted off the engine back. Also, welcome to the forums.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to D-Holme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-Holme
    Yeah i did think i got a little far away from the original. Its not that far into the future tough, i based the engine design on a jet engine. The fuel is replaced by a nuclear reactor that heats up the compressed air. It would probably be like a drag racer - only lasts for one race, but packs one hell of a punch. Anyways thanks for all the critique, i think it got a lot better now

Dang i allways feel so newbish when im in the IDW

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies View Post
    Dang i allways feel so newbish when im in the IDW
    LOL, your r not alone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't decide which one I want to use. I want to use the Northrop xp-79

Or the Havilland Vampire

I better decide soon lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    xp-79 is delicious. Nice find. Why not use elements from both? Which parts do you like?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-holmes- Thanks for the comment, here is the updated version of this curtiss B999L, drawing those stuff is good fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a good subject , and what a shame to see it only now , anyway i'm gonna try !

I think i'l go for it with this reference

Ferrari's hydroplane , the hard part on this one will be the wood how can i make a futuristic look with wood ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A perspective view of my Piaggio Aero (they're still in business) PC17, developed for the Schneider Trophy 100th Anniversary race at Monaco in 2012... hey, this is fantasy, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok i´m gonna try out for this one

The idea revolves around the old corvette c2.

With the tip of the wings being the pontons it´s a little out there but hey it´s just an idea.
    Now im just gonna try touching up the sketches....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the delay, but I kind of forgot to put the Finals thread up for this round. I'm still on round 100 time I guess Anyway, one more day to finish your entries up because of it, and the thread is up finally too:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At my work the security leaves little papers in the doors and I grab those and did most of my thumbnails on those. Good for the planet. In these things I already decided on the design. I think its a couple test profiles, a failed bic sketch (weight and proportions sucked), and the final line drawing (but I changed the cockpit and and tail). Next time I'll try to get in earlier.

Last edited by Majenkus; June 19th, 2009 at 04:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Round's closed now, poll can be found here: IDW #101: Speedbirds - Voting

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.