Thinking of purchasing a Cintiq (questions here)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Thinking of purchasing a Cintiq (questions here)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thinking of purchasing a Cintiq (questions here)

Hey guys, I am thinking of purchasing a Cintiq.
    I came from a fairly traditional drawing background as far as drawing goes. I did dabble around with digital painting via Intuos every once in a while. However, for the past 3 years, I took a long break from drawing and have been focusing on miniature paintings. For this reason, I am starting to think that hand eyes coordination that is offered by cintiq is going to be more important than I have expected. Now I am hoping to give drawings a more serious attempt, and thus I am looking at the Cintiq.

Basing on my background, would it be a good idea to get a Cintiq? Or would it simply be an overkill for a beginner like me?

Also, is there any outstanding error/horror stories related to Cintiq (i.e. something like the three red rings on xbox 360).

Would definitely love to hear you guys' opinions. Thanks in advanced for everyone's help and itme.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before answering these questions, if it is even remotely possible, try to setup a meeting with someone who already owns a cintiq and is willing o let you try it out. Or setup a demo at one of the resellers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    Before answering these questions, if it is even remotely possible, try to setup a meeting with someone who already owns a cintiq and is willing o let you try it out. Or setup a demo at one of the resellers.
    yes, it is.
    I plan to check out a cintiq store in the upcoming week.
    However, my friend warned me that short term use may not be a good representation of long term use.

Thanks for helping me out btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well try to experiment with the cintiq for as long as possible. When I demoed it for a tech expo in Dubai I told the dealers I needed to play around with it for a few hours before the show to get the feeling of it. It was pretty much painting and drawing at an easel. There are a few technical issues with the Cintiq line of products that perhaps long time users will happily fill you in on them.

This brings me to my other suggestion and that is to putt off your purchase until you can make sure that Wacom isnt updaing the Cintiq line anytime soon.

Suggestions when demoing the Cinitq: Place it as if you would place it at your own workstation. Try different positions that you may think would be uncomfortable when painting and that may be accentuated when using a cintiq.

Best of luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for you rhelp Brashen,
    I just got back from testing a 12wx model. Definitely not for me. The idea of drawing on what you are seeing is a noble goal. However, the fact that your stylus tip is separated from the actual work by a piece of glass kinda killed the deal for me. To me, that would be the essential factor that convinces me to switch from intuos to cintiq. Unfortunately, it's not there.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.