Bookcover WIP

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Bookcover WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bookcover WIP

This is going to be a bookcover for my portfolio.

The book is called "In Pursuit of the Green Dragon" It´s a story set in medieaval England.

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to proper digital paintings so this is a big project for me and I need all the help I can get.

So far I have the composition set up and some colours layed out.
    I feel a bit uncertain on how to proceed.

The colours are all in one layer by the way. Maybe I should have the woman on a separate layer?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Frida Bergholtz; June 8th, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes I have found more layers the better. it makes it so much easier to fix mistakes or change ideas. Just remember to change layers as you go. i keep forgetting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by IKV Nexis View Post
    Yes I have found more layers the better. it makes it so much easier to fix mistakes or change ideas. Just remember to change layers as you go. i keep forgetting
    Yes thats true but more layers can also makes things messier and less intuitive. I did put the woman on a separate layer though. We´ll see how many more I´ll use.

Heres a version with some placeholder text to show you what I´m planning and a version to show you only the front of the book.

Now I´m going to bed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Frida Bergholtz View Post
    Yes thats true but more layers can also makes things messier and less intuitive.
    I wholeheartedly agree - but it's very important to organize the layers that you do have. Have stuff that's above be on higher layers, and vice versa. It'll all make sense if you just take the time to puzzle it out.

Watch out for having too much transparency from photoshop in the image - it makes things look like there's the wrong amount of distance between the objects and the viewer. It's simple enough to take out these sorts of transitions with a softer, opaque brush.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree - but it's very important to organize the layers that you do have. Have stuff that's above be on higher layers, and vice versa. It'll all make sense if you just take the time to puzzle it out.

Watch out for having too much transparency from photoshop in the image - it makes things look like there's the wrong amount of distance between the objects and the viewer. It's simple enough to take out these sorts of transitions with a softer, opaque brush.
    I will think about that.
    thank you!

Blurrier in the back and sharper infront.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Frida Bergholtz, nice image.
    I like the composition and it looks like you've got a good start to the colors!

Before you get too far, I would suggest changing the womans pose. Straight profile is not a very interesting pose and would not impress as much in a portfolio as a 3/4 (or anything else really). Try and give an angle that would make for the most interesting portrait, since the woman is all you are working with.
    Her gaze also leads us off the cover (assuming the book jacket is around a closed book.)

Having her engage the viewers eye might not be a bad idea since grabbing attention is the principal function of a book cover. Try and find some good inspirational material. Maybe go for a "Girl with Pearl Earing" by Vermeer-type look:
    Name:  johannes_vermeer_meisje_met_de_parel_-_girl_with_a_pearl_earring.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  40.1 KB

What purpose does it serve to be able to see her nipples through her shirt?

Rock on!

Last edited by Mute; June 8th, 2009 at 05:54 AM.
    ...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mute View Post
    Hey Frida Bergholtz, nice image.
    I like the composition and it looks like you've got a good start to the colors!

Before you get too far, I would suggest changing the womans pose. Straight profile is not a very interesting pose and would not impress as much in a portfolio as a 3/4 (or anything else really). Try and give an angle that would make for the most interesting portrait, since the woman is all you are working with.
    Her gaze also leads us off the cover (assuming the book jacket is around a closed book.)

Having her engage the viewers eye might not be a bad idea since grabbing attention is the principal function of a book cover. Try and find some good inspirational material. Maybe go for a "Girl with Pearl Earing" by Vermeer-type look:
    Name:  johannes_vermeer_meisje_met_de_parel_-_girl_with_a_pearl_earring.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  40.1 KB

What purpose does it serve to be able to see her nipples through her shirt?

Rock on!
    Those are all valid points and I have considered them. Especially the point with that a profile isnt very engaging is bothering me, since I know that eye contact is important. However i have two reasons for wanting to keep this view.

The first one is that I wanted to make paint the cover in a suitable historical style. A bit like this.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ncesca_044.jpg

The other reason is that, in the story she is leaving her home to find her husband who has gone missing overseas. So I wanted her to gaze away in the distant thinking about where he could be.

It feels like it would be boring to have the common 3/4 portrait looking at the viewers kind of deal. I think that I would rather do something completely different.

I really dont know.

Anyway the nipples are just part of the underlying sketch.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a little update.

I still havnt decided if I should keep the profile or not.
    I´m also thinking about giving her a halo.

By the way its supposed to be "In Pursuit of the Green Lion" I just remembered.

Last edited by Frida Bergholtz; June 11th, 2009 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The historical portraiture you referenced have the torso also facing in complete profile. It's gotta be one way or the other... Or maybe there can be a compromise: Turn her head SLIGHTLY towards us, so that we JUST see a bit of her other eyebrow, other nostril, etc.
    Since this is a character-oriented cover, having a bit of a 3/4 show there is more than one side to her, excuse the terrible pun! The profile portraiture often done for noblemen and -women wanted to make them seem perfect, aloof, unattainable. This woman seems more friendly than that, and wistful.

"All is hardcore when made with love." ~ Gogol Bordello

Portfolio (blogspot)
    Portfolio
    Sketchbook
    deviantFART

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you misosoupaddict.

I made a few sketches to se if I could find a perfect angle for Margareth.

In the first one I tried the historical style all the way. It turned out a bit dull but if I paint it beautifully enought it could work.

I tried a more approchable style in the second picture. It looks better as only the front cover but it doesnt have the mood I was going for and the composition as a whole doesnt look as good.

The last version has a more interesting angle on her face and it fits the mood but it has even less contact with the wiever.

So what do you think?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, I like that last one. It's got a lot more of that "yearning" aspect that you mentioned before. Her neck seems a bit long, so you'll have to watch that, but it seems to work.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    Ooh, I like that last one. It's got a lot more of that "yearning" aspect that you mentioned before. Her neck seems a bit long, so you'll have to watch that, but it seems to work.
    Thank you ery much, that one is my favorite so far as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    give her a strong pose, she's a brave woman right? I think the last pick shows that, and even gives her more personalety cus she seams to be thinking about her chooise. she seems to have some intention in that, she looks fierce, and also a bit hesetant? I don't know if that is intentional? or fitting, I don't know the book. the first one looks very lifeless, the secound one looks like "Im here to do what Im told, and try to look cute in the process" cute but boring, go with the last one or one similar to that i'd say

the english contryside bg, dosent really bring the story forward, I mean you have alredy established the timeperiod by her clothes, maybe put her house behind her in the bg of the front cover (shoing that she is leaving) and maybe blend the contryside into cliffs by a stormy dark ocean in the back cover. or maybe give her some luggage, I don't know but, right not the bg just looks nice it dosen't really tell us anything. (or maybe it is? is she going to a castle where her husband is being inprisoned?) maybe she shuld have something belonging to her husband on her to, so we can guess what she is thinking of. just suggestions

anyway good luck! and I look forward seeing the pic done

Cheers!

Last edited by Metso; June 21st, 2009 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely the last one. She doesn't have to be looking at the viewer after all, WE'RE not the one she's thinking about! It's good, i like it.

"All is hardcore when made with love." ~ Gogol Bordello

Portfolio (blogspot)
    Portfolio
    Sketchbook
    deviantFART

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I liked your original pose better. The only problem was that she was leaning back a little too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by misosoupaddict View Post
    The historical portraiture you referenced have the torso also facing in complete profile. It's gotta be one way or the other... Or maybe there can be a compromise:
    It was the compromise: straight profile quotes medieval portraiture, but the angled body gives it a little bit of action and interest.

Do consider flopping the figure. Wraparound covers are tricky, because you want the full, unwrapped composition to work, but the really important part is the cropped front cover.

Definitely develop the figure and background on separate layers, at least. It will give you much more flexibility.

Last edited by Elwell; June 21st, 2009 at 11:48 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this new angle on her face but I feel that I am losing sight of my original idea to paint in in a medieaval portrait style. This look vagule preraphaelite, whitch isnt neccecarily a bad thing I suppose.

I have refined the sketch and tried flippping the figure. She has to do something with her hands for it to work.

I also made this stupid looking sketch to see if a different background would work better.

Any further input would be appretiated.

Quote Originally Posted by Metso View Post
    give her a strong pose, she's a brave woman right? I think the last pick shows that, and even gives her more personalety cus she seams to be thinking about her chooise. she seems to have some intention in that, she looks fierce, and also a bit hesetant? I don't know if that is intentional? or fitting, I don't know the book. the first one looks very lifeless, the secound one looks like "Im here to do what Im told, and try to look cute in the process" cute but boring, go with the last one or one similar to that i'd say

the english contryside bg, dosent really bring the story forward, I mean you have alredy established the timeperiod by her clothes, maybe put her house behind her in the bg of the front cover (shoing that she is leaving) and maybe blend the contryside into cliffs by a stormy dark ocean in the back cover. or maybe give her some luggage, I don't know but, right not the bg just looks nice it dosen't really tell us anything. (or maybe it is? is she going to a castle where her husband is being inprisoned?) maybe she shuld have something belonging to her husband on her to, so we can guess what she is thinking of. just suggestions

anyway good luck! and I look forward seeing the pic done

Cheers!
    Thank you very much for your thoughts and ideas.
    Her husband is indeed inprisoned in a castle. The castle in the background could be that castle or it could be the home she is leaving.

Fierce and hesitant is a good look. She is leaving her two small children behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I liked your original pose better. The only problem was that she was leaning back a little too much.

It was the compromise: straight profile quotes medieval portraiture, but the angled body gives it a little bit of action and interest.

Do consider flopping the figure. Wraparound covers are tricky, because you want the full, unwrapped composition to work, but the really important part is the cropped front cover.

Definitely develop the figure and background on separate layers, at least. It will give you much more flexibility.
    Thank you very much Elwell for taking the time to help me out a bit.

I like Wraparound covers so I wanted to do one plus I am a bit lazy so I needed to make something a little more challenging.

Right now I just want to start painting the thing though.

Last edited by Frida Bergholtz; June 23rd, 2009 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a version with some more expressive body language. I like that it seems like she is picking up her skirts.

I´m really terrible at sketching in photoshop, maybe I should go back to pen and paper for now. This thing looks less finished with every update.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i think you're forgetting that it'll be a book cover (it will be, no?)
    so don't forget that the first time someone takes the book in the hand he'll see only the girl, not the castle from the back cover

I personally think you should go with this one Bookcover WIP try creating the mood with your painting skills. It is a really interesting angle that would surely attract the viewer. And it would give a more professional look. If not, go with the version on top of this one.
    The last one is nice, but not for a book cover!! One can't see the castle if he doesn't open the cover, no? So it would look a bit strange..

Hope i helped and good luck~

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Members who have read this thread: 1