Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 18

Thread: Bookcover WIP

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden Malmö
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 167 Times in 140 Posts

    Bookcover WIP

    This is going to be a bookcover for my portfolio.

    The book is called "In Pursuit of the Green Dragon" It´s a story set in medieaval England.

    I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to proper digital paintings so this is a big project for me and I need all the help I can get.

    So far I have the composition set up and some colours layed out.
    I feel a bit uncertain on how to proceed.

    The colours are all in one layer by the way. Maybe I should have the woman on a separate layer?
    Last edited by Frida Bergholtz; June 8th, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    317
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 181 Times in 61 Posts
    Yes I have found more layers the better. it makes it so much easier to fix mistakes or change ideas. Just remember to change layers as you go. i keep forgetting
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden Malmö
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 167 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IKV Nexis View Post
    Yes I have found more layers the better. it makes it so much easier to fix mistakes or change ideas. Just remember to change layers as you go. i keep forgetting
    Yes thats true but more layers can also makes things messier and less intuitive. I did put the woman on a separate layer though. We´ll see how many more I´ll use.

    Heres a version with some placeholder text to show you what I´m planning and a version to show you only the front of the book.

    Now I´m going to bed.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,660
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 488 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frida Bergholtz View Post
    Yes thats true but more layers can also makes things messier and less intuitive.
    I wholeheartedly agree - but it's very important to organize the layers that you do have. Have stuff that's above be on higher layers, and vice versa. It'll all make sense if you just take the time to puzzle it out.

    Watch out for having too much transparency from photoshop in the image - it makes things look like there's the wrong amount of distance between the objects and the viewer. It's simple enough to take out these sorts of transitions with a softer, opaque brush.
    Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

    .PORTFOLIO.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lake For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden Malmö
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 167 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree - but it's very important to organize the layers that you do have. Have stuff that's above be on higher layers, and vice versa. It'll all make sense if you just take the time to puzzle it out.

    Watch out for having too much transparency from photoshop in the image - it makes things look like there's the wrong amount of distance between the objects and the viewer. It's simple enough to take out these sorts of transitions with a softer, opaque brush.
    I will think about that.
    thank you!

    Blurrier in the back and sharper infront.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    San Fransisco, CA
    Posts
    752
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 213 Times in 170 Posts
    Hey Frida Bergholtz, nice image.
    I like the composition and it looks like you've got a good start to the colors!

    Before you get too far, I would suggest changing the womans pose. Straight profile is not a very interesting pose and would not impress as much in a portfolio as a 3/4 (or anything else really). Try and give an angle that would make for the most interesting portrait, since the woman is all you are working with.
    Her gaze also leads us off the cover (assuming the book jacket is around a closed book.)

    Having her engage the viewers eye might not be a bad idea since grabbing attention is the principal function of a book cover. Try and find some good inspirational material. Maybe go for a "Girl with Pearl Earing" by Vermeer-type look:
    Attachment 692238

    What purpose does it serve to be able to see her nipples through her shirt?

    Rock on!
    Last edited by Mute; June 8th, 2009 at 04:54 AM.
    ...my humble and uneducated opinion.

    -Nate
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mute For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden Malmö
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 167 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mute View Post
    Hey Frida Bergholtz, nice image.
    I like the composition and it looks like you've got a good start to the colors!

    Before you get too far, I would suggest changing the womans pose. Straight profile is not a very interesting pose and would not impress as much in a portfolio as a 3/4 (or anything else really). Try and give an angle that would make for the most interesting portrait, since the woman is all you are working with.
    Her gaze also leads us off the cover (assuming the book jacket is around a closed book.)

    Having her engage the viewers eye might not be a bad idea since grabbing attention is the principal function of a book cover. Try and find some good inspirational material. Maybe go for a "Girl with Pearl Earing" by Vermeer-type look:
    Attachment 692238

    What purpose does it serve to be able to see her nipples through her shirt?

    Rock on!
    Those are all valid points and I have considered them. Especially the point with that a profile isnt very engaging is bothering me, since I know that eye contact is important. However i have two reasons for wanting to keep this view.

    The first one is that I wanted to make paint the cover in a suitable historical style. A bit like this.

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ncesca_044.jpg

    The other reason is that, in the story she is leaving her home to find her husband who has gone missing overseas. So I wanted her to gaze away in the distant thinking about where he could be.

    It feels like it would be boring to have the common 3/4 portrait looking at the viewers kind of deal. I think that I would rather do something completely different.

    I really dont know.

    Anyway the nipples are just part of the underlying sketch.

    Thank you very much for your advice.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden Malmö
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 167 Times in 140 Posts
    Heres a little update.

    I still havnt decided if I should keep the profile or not.
    I´m also thinking about giving her a halo.

    By the way its supposed to be "In Pursuit of the Green Lion" I just remembered.
    Last edited by Frida Bergholtz; June 11th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    The historical portraiture you referenced have the torso also facing in complete profile. It's gotta be one way or the other... Or maybe there can be a compromise: Turn her head SLIGHTLY towards us, so that we JUST see a bit of her other eyebrow, other nostril, etc.
    Since this is a character-oriented cover, having a bit of a 3/4 show there is more than one side to her, excuse the terrible pun! The profile portraiture often done for noblemen and -women wanted to make them seem perfect, aloof, unattainable. This woman seems more friendly than that, and wistful.
    "All is hardcore when made with love." ~ Gogol Bordello

    Portfolio (blogspot)
    Portfolio
    Sketchbook
    deviantFART
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden Malmö
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 167 Times in 140 Posts
    Thank you misosoupaddict.

    I made a few sketches to se if I could find a perfect angle for Margareth.

    In the first one I tried the historical style all the way. It turned out a bit dull but if I paint it beautifully enought it could work.

    I tried a more approchable style in the second picture. It looks better as only the front cover but it doesnt have the mood I was going for and the composition as a whole doesnt look as good.

    The last version has a more interesting angle on her face and it fits the mood but it has even less contact with the wiever.

    So what do you think?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    2,906
    Thanks
    254
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 870 Posts
    Ooh, I like that last one. It's got a lot more of that "yearning" aspect that you mentioned before. Her neck seems a bit long, so you'll have to watch that, but it seems to work.
    The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

    My online portfolio

    Bloggity blog

    "Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden Malmö
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 167 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    Ooh, I like that last one. It's got a lot more of that "yearning" aspect that you mentioned before. Her neck seems a bit long, so you'll have to watch that, but it seems to work.
    Thank you ery much, that one is my favorite so far as well.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    give her a strong pose, she's a brave woman right? I think the last pick shows that, and even gives her more personalety cus she seams to be thinking about her chooise. she seems to have some intention in that, she looks fierce, and also a bit hesetant? I don't know if that is intentional? or fitting, I don't know the book. the first one looks very lifeless, the secound one looks like "Im here to do what Im told, and try to look cute in the process" cute but boring, go with the last one or one similar to that i'd say

    the english contryside bg, dosent really bring the story forward, I mean you have alredy established the timeperiod by her clothes, maybe put her house behind her in the bg of the front cover (shoing that she is leaving) and maybe blend the contryside into cliffs by a stormy dark ocean in the back cover. or maybe give her some luggage, I don't know but, right not the bg just looks nice it dosen't really tell us anything. (or maybe it is? is she going to a castle where her husband is being inprisoned?) maybe she shuld have something belonging to her husband on her to, so we can guess what she is thinking of. just suggestions

    anyway good luck! and I look forward seeing the pic done

    Cheers!
    Last edited by Metso; June 21st, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bookcover
    By Shinji2821 in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 26th, 2011, 01:58 AM
  2. Viking Bookcover
    By libellchen in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: April 25th, 2011, 07:18 AM
  3. Bookcover illustrations
    By Crimbal in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 1st, 2011, 05:54 PM
  4. Bookcover WIP
    By DragonSnail in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: July 5th, 2008, 02:04 PM
  5. RPG bookcover
    By Aleksi in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 8th, 2002, 01:37 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook