"newborn" contest - concept
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: "newborn" contest - concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"newborn" contest - concept

hi, this is a concept sketch over at the "newborn" contest . i'm trying to explore the concept of humanity reborn after some kind of armageddon. its supposed to capture the moment of humans on space resort watching the war back home.
    i know the story isnt really understood and i dont know exactly what to do to get it more clear while keeping the same composition more or less. i know the focus is on the background which is distracting from the main subject which is the humans. i thought the contrast of action between the foreground and background will be a good idea but i dont think its doing anything storywise.
    any recommendations will be helpful.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Linguini is offline (n.) pasta in long, slender, flat strips. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, you have a great original idea. The only thing is, just looking at earth, you can't really understand that there's a war. Maybe some terrible weather... What about making the earth clearer, and you can see some destruction on the continents? The other thing is that while space and the resort are fairly realistic, the humans are stylized. I really like how they look, but I'm inclined to say that they clash a bit with the environment.

Good luck! It's so exciting to see someone who is so far along in the contest.

♥♥ SKETCHBOOK ♥♥ BLOG ♥♥ PORTFOLIO ♥♥ dA GALLERY ♥♥

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
    - Albert Camus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Linguini For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow linguini thanks alot!
    you have no idea how much your comments helps me.
    this really opens up my brain and motivation to rework the scene, i really felt stuck in a way as to whats not working here.
    first, i wonder what is the way to combine and harmonize a more realistic environment with stylized character because i do want to keep a stylized feel to the figures, and i'm thinking of doing the environment as a paint over 3d rough. i think that once i shade the figures and give them depth , it will make it better.
    secondly, about making the earth more clear that's a really good idea, i need to find a good technique on doing this, if anyone here knows a good 2d/3d/matte painting tutorial on rendering planets and space i'd be very thankful....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, I really love your idea. Like these people are watching their planet die, but they are just up there, so distant and uncaring.
    Right now, I would just start really defining shapes, getting some basic lighting in there and eventually, add some beautiful detail to space.
    I wouldn't change the composition at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks duman, i'm glad you like the idea. i still havent decided if i want them to be uncaring or the opposite- like shocked or terrified to see their home destroyed in which case i will need to probably change their poses and such to convey the feeling. i also am thinkink of adding a few more characters to get more action going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i also did a quick test for a more minimized composition and different colors- the background is a pasted painting by the great john harris- just for quick ideation. maybe i'll paint something similar to his painting in the backround, like an exploding planet or something
    do you think removing the spaceship element on the left and centralizing the planet is better?

Name:  newborn_concept3.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  186.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, I would defiantly keep the interior and exterior of the ship. It makes it feel like a space hotel. I also liked the cool blues and greens, as it reminded me of swimming pools at night.
    You can try adding some more people, but I really like it with just two. It keeps it subtle, simple yet gets the point across.
    Keeping the humans calm and controlled just gives off such a powerful message. They are so distant and uncaring that they watch Earth die while casually taking an evening swim.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Relfection theme, my heart takes one step closer. I likes.

However, I'm not quite sure I can be pondering and reflecting when I've
    got a 20 metres of pool in front of me.

How about an airdocking scene. Everyone scrambling to make phone calls on vintage loooking mobiles. While a little boy tries to hold on to mum's semi casual business dress.
    [There's also a guy in the background ripping off his shirt while being photographed, to be used for recruitment posters. For the Earth 7th war.]

[gaaah, i lost the funny in my head, sorry]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    duman- great, thanks. i'll keep the old comp and colors then. i also got the idea to throw in pool water caustics all round the room to get even more of that coolness.

dwardo- you just gave me an idea- i can paint another figure holding a mobile phone while pointing to the distant earth as if talking to someone and describing the sight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea of adding someone on a phone,... but maybe make it the, just-after-the-call-is-disconnected. That way it gives the impression of loss... Like he was talking to family planet side before it went. Maybe dropping the cell, going a bit limp, etc.

I think it might be interesting to add more of a range of human emotion. Some have excepted it, while other suffer immensely from the loss.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -If it were me, I'd probably drain the pool. Put a huge amount of people in that scene just watching the earth exploding. "Fireworks, like a celebration" says the boy. But it's not. [His older brother just died and he doesn't know it.]
    -Heads all turned. Neverminding the viewer. (Is that a sin to do composition wise?)
    -I'd definitely take out the bikini outfit, unless you want that contrast in thought/place.

It would be an energy draining piece. Perhaps. It would drain me that's for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice concept! What I'm missing overall is some more "life" bustling around in the image, to give it more the feeling of a vacation resort. Perhaps one person really close-up, to give more focus on the foreground, and a few more laying/walking around the pool; family with kids eating ice-cream perhaps? Someone lounging in a sun-chair? Kids running around chasing each other/playing in the water? Whatever you find on your regular beach I guess.

I liked your first take on it, and the colours were nice and fitting as well. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I agree with the above poster. I've been thinking about it more... Which is good, you have me thinking.

I kind of feel like the image is right in the middle of two possible directions. Which is fine, maybe even more accurate to life then going to an extreme, but I think it would be more interesting if taken all the way.

I think it's the pool that gets me. It gives the impression that they don't care... Which is completely fine, and I think the idea of them not caring is fascinating.. However, if they're not going to care lets go to the extreme. Lets show them doing something sinful and extravagant. Really push the boundaries with it, you know?

Or go the other direction, as the above poster mentioned. Really show them torn up over it. I like the idea of having them all turned away. I think it places the viewer among them, looking out over the disaster.

Anyways, terrific idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok some really great ideas you've been throwing here...

bonedaddycash- ok so your'e suggestion of taking it to a more extreme is very good-
    and now when i think of it if i take it to the more "they don't care" theme then the earth should look as if already dead and destroyed because they actually dont care because there is nothing to care about- "life goes on" as they say. i'm not sure that making them look uncaring and minding their business while there is war or some action in the background makes sense. and on the opposite - if they are terrified then the background needs action something for them to respond to. thanks!

dragonsnail- you got it- more people are needed and will be added closer and further from camera i think will be best , thanks.

dwardo- i have the same dilema here should i treat this as a cinematic comp or an illustrated one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't really get into the crowd scene idea. Nor the imagery of the people being shocked at the event unfolding around them.
    When I look at this piece, I see human apathy and self centered nature at its finest. I see two wealthy people, enjoying the luxuries of a heaven in space. They know what is happening down below. They have known it for days, months. They look down at the dying planet and feel nothing. They go about their business as if it were any other day, as if it doesn't matter. Thats what I like about this piece. It's so cold, distant, uncaring.
    It can be emotionally dead, yet powerful none the less.

And adding some ghostly reflections of the water would only be the icing on the cake. Delicious.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.