Sketchbook: Dono's Sketchbook (Critique wanted!)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Dono's Sketchbook (Critique wanted!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dono's Sketchbook (Critique wanted!)

Hello, I'm new here. People call me Dono, I'm 19 year old and female. I currently live is the United States.

I know I'm not exactly as good as most people here, but I'm hoping with critique, practice and encouragement I can change that. So, please! Critique as much as you feel necessary.

I haven't had any art classes as of yet, but I'm hoping to get into the Academy of Art soon.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by Dono; June 7th, 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Resizing pictures.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Aardvarkphil is offline Stepping into the darkness and finding the next step isn't there Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Dono welcome to ConceptArt. It's great you started a sketchbook. Looking good considering you haven't had any art classes. Try to post regularly.

Here are a few things to think about.
    Try to be more confident with you line work. What I mean is don't keep going over the line till you get what you want. If it's not right rub it out and try again. I'm guilty of this to.
    Try to vary your line weight.
    Draw from life whenever you can.

Look around the site there are loads of great tutorials. Start here http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Last edited by Aardvarkphil; June 7th, 2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: altering text
    Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aardvarkphil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your advice Aardvarkphil! I'll definitely be doing what you suggested, because I notice I do this a lot. I'm so stubborn with finishing a piece that I started on and not just leaving it and trying all over again.

Also, thank you for the link. This site is so helpful~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello,
    what phil said, confidence in your line work (not that i can speak.) Think about where you want your line to go before you put it down, because i see in your lines at the moment, they're done in sketchy little segments, this really shows in places like the curves. Draw lots, just in anything practice makes perfect.

Somewhere along the lines of sleep deprivation and brain activity

Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I agree with the above comments. Try to draw more with pen to gain confidence with your line work.

I really like the start though. Draw draw draw. I want to see more updates

Also, if you could stop by my sketchbook, I would really apreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like what you got going on here and agree with what everyone was saying with clean line/confident line. What really helped me with my confidence was making sure every line I put down counted and it helped my confidence bunches because it forced me to observe. Trust me I did the same thing when I first started, but one thing I realized was, I was terrible at keeping things clean. I would sketch and sketch and sketch. At the end it was a mess because I'd be cleaning up the lines and accidental eraser smudges all over my page would happen. What helped even more in being more confident with my control of line was simply inking my sketches, it made me think out more what lines helped and what didn't because I couldn't erase lol. Sorry Dono for this long comment, but I'm hoping it helps you out. I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread

Cheers mate,
    Conti

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! I'll try to practice with a pen, as suggested. I've heard of people using it before to become more confident in their lines and work. But, I know for sure that I'll be reaching for an eraser, just by habit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello,
    what phil said, confidence in your line work (not that i can speak.) Think about where you want your line to go before you put it down, because i see in your lines at the moment, they're done in sketchy little segments, this really shows in places like the curves. Draw lots, just in anything practice makes perfect.

Somewhere along the lines of sleep deprivation and brain activity

Sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More updates. Not as many as I hoped, but I haven't been able to draw as much as I liked to.

I tried ArtRage the other day and I really loved it. I think this is a great program for those who are use to working with digital programs, but want a traditional look.

Last edited by Dono; September 17th, 2010 at 03:08 AM.

Aardvarkphil is offline Stepping into the darkness and finding the next step isn't there Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you're posting regularly. Lookin' good.

Draw Moar! Post Moar!

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvarkphil View Post
    Good to see you're posting regularly. Lookin' good.

Draw Moar! Post Moar!
    Heheh. I'll probably have a ton more to post when I start school at the Academy of Art in Fall *squeals at being accepted*

Until then, I'll have to draw whenever I find time!

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All I think I can say here is STUDY! Do studies, try and get some studies every day, it will change everything

-E

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on being accepted at the Academy of Art. But as Mischeviouslittleelf get some studies done.

I know you must be busy with other things. But, if you've made a commitment to art, and it certainly sounds like you have. Then make that time and get the practice in. Ten minutes here, twenty minutes there. It all adds up, as I'm discovering now. It will all pay dividends down the line.

Again Congrats

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Realizing that DA does not allow hot linking, I just wiped a few of my posts. Here is the contents of those posts. All done for college.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start!

On the piece with the person facing the arch and the person standing under it, I'd suggest making the stones/bricks on the ground smaller and smaller the further off in the distance they are. This could help convey the distance better.

The last two figures have hard poses to capture. I think that you really have captured their twisting and jumping motions really well.

Looking forward to more updates!

My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by purplegoat View Post
    Great start!

On the piece with the person facing the arch and the person standing under it, I'd suggest making the stones/bricks on the ground smaller and smaller the further off in the distance they are. This could help convey the distance better.

The last two figures have hard poses to capture. I think that you really have captured their twisting and jumping motions really well.

Looking forward to more updates!
    Thanks! Environments in general are something I need to work on. I was considering not putting any stones there, just because I knew I wasn't sure how they were actually going to turn out. ...Probably should have done that, haha.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.