Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

Doctor Who: Movie

My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If your unfamiliar with Doctor Who, it features;

A Doctor.

A Tardis.

A sidekick.
    (Usually female)

Along with dustbins on wheels, with toilet plungers for limbs.
    (Though sometimes they hover)

And adventures that cover a vast array of (sometimes) complexed topics (that really makes you wonder how they manage to market it as a Children's/Family show), which include existentalism, reason vs. faith, greed for power, coming to terms with mortality, etc.

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I'm sold. I wonder if they'll do a Torchwood as well?

Thanks
    Well if the Doctor Who film does well, there's always a chance. One annoying thing about Torchwood for me, is that the series doesn't feel quite the full package.

Though that could be due to me missing the last episode of Season 2, so I haven't a clue what happened at the end. I really should just watch it on youtube. (If it's still there)

Thanks
    I've heard of Doctor Who, but I haven't seen it.
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.
    Nintendo Network ID: FightingSeraph

Thanks
    The Doctor Who movie they made in 1996 failed utterly... I will get on board with this if Davies isn't responsible. The final episodes he writes are so bad I can't imagine a movie by him wouldn't be an equal mess.

Thanks
    Well the series is in Stephen Moffat's hands, and his episodes usually kick-ass. (So there is a good possibility he'll have alot of involvment with the film, as his episodes pan out with a filmlike quality) He wrote the WWII episode in the first story ('Are you my mummy?'), Blink, and the library planet episode with the invisible piranha's.

Though gotta agree, Russell T Davies overuses the Daleks, they're just not that good an enemy in comparision to some of the newer creatures they've made. But they put them in, to please the hardcore fan base. (He can also be mawkishly sentimental at times) Though I really liked the characterisation of Donna at the end of series 4, that was really good.

Peter Cushing played the lead role in those films, where the writer's took the title literally by casting Cushing as 'Dr. Who', who was a human scientist. (rather than a mysterious alien) They sucked impeccably. (Though they're funny to watch)

Quote Originally Posted by FightingSeraph View Post
    I've heard of Doctor Who, but I haven't seen it.
    Worth just checking out one of the new series episodes, that're scattered around Youtube. (Blink's a good one, and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead) And see what you think. The series started back in 1963 (making it older than Star Trek), though it got cancelled in 1989 (?) and brought back in 2005.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by idoru View Post
    The Doctor Who movie they made in 1996 failed utterly... I will get on board with this if Davies isn't responsible. The final episodes he writes are so bad I can't imagine a movie by him wouldn't be an equal mess.
    I remember that one. Wasnt that a made for TV movie though, not a big screen piece?

I havent really watched Doctor Who since the dude with the 8 foot long scarf. Though I did see part of one of the newer ones. Help me if you know the episode because I'd like to watch it in its entirety. There were these invisible assassins that only became visible when you look directly at them. They would appear as those angel statues covering their faces. The concept seemed really interesting but I never got a chance to see the whole thing.

Thanks
    That one is Blink, and it's one of the best episodes of the whole series. (That's a Moffat episode.) You should see the whole thing, statues will become wholly more terrifying.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to idoru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookswords View Post
    The concept seemed really interesting but I never got a chance to see the whole thing.

Now you do.

Moffat always seems to write invisible enemies, who're nigh on impossible to kill. As then he can build the tension between the charaters, rather than rely on special effects to give the monster's gravitas. (Though the effects for Who aren't that good, most of it's strengths are in the writing)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kagemusha22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Moffat writes all the exceptional episodes in the show. Girl in the Fireplace was also absolutely excellent. He seems to like to make children terrified of things they wouldn't have thought to be scared of before. (Doctor Who is, after all, a show for children.)

Thanks
    That's why I'm really exited about them writing a film, they'll have far less budgetary limitations. So surely the writing will have a great deal of freedom with what they can do and show, thus kids all across the world will be scared of their own shadow due to Doctor Who.

Hookswords; That upload cuts out the best bit of that episode, tried to find a different uploader for that episode, but couldn't anyone else.

Thanks
    You can torrent that episode pretty easily, I think (that's how I've seen it anyway). I don't know that any place has it streaming though.

Thanks
    This show looks relevant to my interest. How do I start?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I think they have released the stuff on DVD. Some of the older episodes are missing because BBC threw the film away. All which exists is sound recording made by fans (who recorded the TV... this was before the VCR).

I'm a big fan of the older episodes (In particular Doctors 1,2,4). The new stuff is ok, but I miss competent companions like Zoe and Leela. I also want more crazy adventures on alien planets/spacestations full of robots.

I don't mind the Daleks, but I want them in silver/gun metal and with blue or black bumps.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast