Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

i broke my wrist

i cant write, i have to type and use the mouse with my left hand, cant play video games, i cant go to work and i cant DRAW

but worst of all, exams are this and next week, so now i have to find out how exempt my calculus exam, and i cant go to any of the many grad parties

all i can do is watch tv and read

so this is the first time ive broken a bone and man i feel for every1 else this stinks. talk about bad timing

EDIT: so i guess let this be a thread for sharing and commiserating with unfortunate and unpredictable events that incapacitate you and stick you with a massive medical bill

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    what about trying to draw/paint with your left hand? could be an interesting experiment, and really make you think about what you're doing, plus giving you a whole new perspective?
    MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ookchk View Post
    what about trying to draw/paint with your left hand? could be an interesting experiment, and really make you think about what you're doing, plus giving you a whole new perspective?
    i was gonna give it a shot, it may come out w/ something interesting i got nothin better to do hah

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    If you can buy em (or find them online, which is also easy) I recommend Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica, Band of Brothers and Rome the series as excellent time wasters

EDIT: Or entertaining and informative docus on WW2 and other 20th century wars from this fellow: http://www.youtube.com/user/20thCenturyWar

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,279 Times in 625 Posts

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    If you can buy em (or find them online, which is also easy) I recommend Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica, Band of Brothers and Rome the series as excellent time wasters
    LOST.

And also I agree with trying out your left hand. it's a good enough excuse.

/end mostly useless post.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ChaoticKnight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Yeah man, my grandma was a commercial artist for a career and still did drawing and painting into her elderly years. When she had a stroke and lost use of her right arm she learned to do it all with her left. Granted, her hand writing was bad, but her painting was quite good.

If you like Steam Punk and anime, try digging up the Last Exile series. And if you havent seen Samurai Champloo, break your other wrist as punishment and then watch it.

Also cheers to the community for being 8 replies into the broken wrist thread with no masturbation jokes yet.
    Last edited by Hookswords; June 5th, 2009 at 10:17 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'd choose Rome over lost any day of the week....anyways hope your bone magically heals itself by tomorrow.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Rome's awesome. One of my favorites and one of the only shows that I caught the pilot for. I couldn't stop talking about it after that. Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus FTW!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShroudStar For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    If your cast/whatever allows you to move a couple of fingers and your thumb, get a trackball. It's easy enough to brace your entire arm all nice and pretty with pillows or a folded blanky. Side benefit is it improves your finger coordination.

Improve your left arm coordination by laying in bed and tossing darts at your toes left-handed. An additional benefit of this is that most members of your family will stop coming in your room until your aim gets better.

From someone who is not exactly glued together well in a skeletal sense, my deepest sympathies.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,280 Posts
    I HOPE YA FEEL BETTER SOON !!! i broke alot of things alot' i broke my left arm luckily earlier this month an my ankle last year an a couple of fingers in between 'this is just the last year lol'd. ya can still do fun stuff an girls at the grad parties will prob be like aww you poor thing an all that. so i would try an make the best out of it an if you can get an extention on your exams ya can use the time to really study so ya can ace em'

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ShroudStar View Post
    Rome's awesome. One of my favorites and one of the only shows that I caught the pilot for. I couldn't stop talking about it after that. Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus FTW!
    Juno's c*nt what a good show! I'd suck Pluto's thorny cock just to get a third season (if anything to hear some more of the best swears in the world)
    Last edited by Jason Rainville; June 5th, 2009 at 11:43 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Aaaagh, I broke my wrist last summer. I kind of lucked out that it wasn't my drawing hand, but I can totally feel your pain. Any surgery involved? (I've got a metal plate in my arm now, but by God that night was FUN.)

Hey, this is a great opportunity to train your eye though. One of my drawing teachers had us draw models with our off hands, so we had to SERIOUSLY slow down and focus. It's easily the most effective drawing exercise I've used, really crazy stuff.

PS-Oliver And Company and Oxycodone went EXTREMELY well together.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JackHatesJack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticKnight View Post
    LOST.
    THIS
    And yeah, recover soon, buddy (:

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brushcommander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    well dang i am quite taken aback by all the support here hah its why i love this site. but i feel kinda bad cuz i didnt want to make this a "feel bad for me thread" which is why i added the edit. Honestly it isn't THAT bad, I dont have to get any serious surgery or any plates or screws or anything, i just have to get my wrist set and they gotta get all the blood out of this massive hematoma on the back of my hand (haha its gross) I'll be sure to check out all those series and im gonna try some water colors too. Does anybody have any good books to suggest? I cant help but feeling a LITTLE more productive by reading than watching tv b/c i rarely do read lol.

on another note anybody have any experiences to share that are much worse than a broken wrist?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    If you haven't read Guns Germs and Steel, that's the best I can think of. I had a hernia last year but it wasn't so bad. I broke my collar bone twice as a child. Second time while playing football, I got kicked hard there. Fun times. It only hurts a day or so, then it heals - it's just annoying wearing the cast so long.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    that book sounds like its right up my alley. ill go get it today.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    If you haven't read Guns Germs and Steel, that's the best I can think of. I had a hernia last year but it wasn't so bad. I broke my collar bone twice as a child. Second time while playing football, I got kicked hard there. Fun times. It only hurts a day or so, then it heals - it's just annoying wearing the cast so long.
    To go along with that I'd also suggest one of the "What If?" books that postulates alternative history. And my gift to you: online tetris. Only one hand required!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    exempt your calculus exam cause your right wrist is broken? Find me a teacher on earth that won't say "quit being lazy, just use your other hand". It's probably just a scantron anyway, and if that's the case you should be able to master the art of left handed bubbling. I remember in 4th grade during recess I slipped on some of the playground equipment and landed on my wrist the wrong way. Nurse put a damp paper towel on it and sent me back to class where I proceeded to write with (what I didn't know at the time) was a broken wrist (true story)

Anyway I suffer from a similar problem, I have a gangelion cyst in my right wrist that periodically comes and goes, makes it hard to write, draw, or do anything that involves bending my wrist in anything more than a 5 degree angle. But yeah just use your other hand, you'd be surprised of how quickly you'll get the hang of it when you need to. Just think of it as developing your ambidextrous skills
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Edge Ryan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    My Sifu is left handed, but when he was growing up they made you use your right hand for writing. His grandfather also did a lot to teach him writing and penmanship. I guess his grandfather worked for the stock market before everything was electronic so he could write really clearly, really fast. So he kinda ended up ambidextrous. I remember walking into the kwoon one day to teach/train and I was standing in the door of his office waiting for him to finish writing so I could greet him. I watched him write with his left and then hand off the pen to his right and continue writing. Crazy awesome. I reminded him of that recently. I was sitting in the office taking notes on pressure points and meridians. I was drawing out a guy so I could map whatever meridian I was working on at the time. He sat down and said "I love to watch you draw Jon, I just dont have that kind of talent." to which I replied with a smile and said "Well I dont know any artists that can pass off a pen to their other hand and keep drawing." He just laughed..."Come on, let's do some bagua."

I'm rambling but I think the point is in there somewhere.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWeeks View Post
    but worst of all, exams are this and next week, so now i have to find out how exempt my calculus exam, and i cant go to any of the many grad parties
    You can still drink beer with your left hand!

Gl recovering man!
    (23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ah my worthless library didnt have guns germs and steel so i got a couple michael crichton books and angels and demons.

Being ambidextrous would be pretty awesome, but its not like you can just pick it up and write normally with your other hand in a week or two. If i did try and teach myself, it would probably take longer to learn than to recover my right hand. And for my calc exam... i dont think it will be scantron, but even if it is ill still have to write my work and stuff. i cant just do everything in my head or in my calculator... especially since theres a no calculator section. but ill figure it out.

edit: i just played like five games of tetris lol
    Last edited by ChristianWeeks; June 6th, 2009 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    I have broken many bones. They say everything happens for a reason, but I am still looking for some of the reasons. I had a full leg cast for 5 months from a severed achilles tendon, they said I would never run again. I listened to all of the Doctors information except that part. I run very well, thank you, but sometimes I walk with a limp.
    Take care of that arm while it heals, get well soon and feed your mind in the interim.
    Cheers

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Mebiusu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Seconding Rome or Battlestar Galactica. (and left handed beer drinking..).

If you go with Galactica remember there's a pilot movie before the first season.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I broke my hand/arm too, once. Was about 7, starting to get all artsy. Was on a bike someone got me from behind on another bike, i flew off and crushed my hand against a wall.

Ouch.

Despite my mother insisting i see a doctor, i slept on it. The next day, it was... how do i put it... interesting. Off we go to the doctors!

Broken in 6 places, and the end joint of my pinky is slightly off at a strange angle permanently. GO ME!!!!!!
    Where your once steely reserve is now merely tinned,
    You'll find it all in Morrowind

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOSKETCH
    | LYNO | GRAFGUY | NANOBLACK | SUBLIMUS |

44. The Following User Says Thank You to NanoBlack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I almost broke my wrist last night but i ran out of gas and fell asleep right there in the chair ......
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I broke my thumb not long ago. Made a thread about it as well. I did give drawing with my off-hand a try though. It's not as bad as you may think. Although when I was finally getting the hang of it my thumb healed and I went back to using my left hand. Definetely worth a shot.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to iambanana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Broke my wrist when I was 14 I think.. didn't really stop me from drawing honestly.

I could move my point and index finger, all I really needed.
    You shouldn't even be using your wrist that much.
    See this as excellent practice. Something I learned in later years is to draw with your whole arm, it looks way better, makes it easier to get shapes right.. and is just much better

If you can grab a pen, go draw dammit.
    "Sadly, most artists prefer to give the elite their attention."

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Pawkfox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Tape a brush to the cast. It forces you to paint from the elbow, which of course eliminates fancy brushwork, but is great for large sweeping gestural strokes.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    heal fast! hope its not too long

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostbrush For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast