The Newborn Contest!!! (Now with more prizes!) - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The Newborn Contest!!! (Now with more prizes!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptcrawler View Post
    Your know your so right Baron, I should have thought about that as much as I preach using the dark side of the force to draw.

WOW, you actually got only 8 out of 10 for that post.
    I love those rankings. They are so random
    You are absolutely right about everything man...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well this public voting is like the eurovision...you know
    not always the best that win

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonChilD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    I agree, it's all a bit silly, but public voting is always like that. That's why you should only look on these comps as a bit of fun. And often a "1" is a better compliment than a "10". After all, art should provoke an emotion and if that emotion is jealousy and anger then damn, that's great!
    This just made me feel a lot better.

My Sketchbook
    Just another day in the optimization tank.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    I agree, it's all a bit silly, but public voting is always like that. That's why you should only look on these comps as a bit of fun. And often a "1" is a better compliment than a "10". After all, art should provoke an emotion and if that emotion is jealousy and anger then damn, that's great!
    I wouldn't automatically assume that getting a one meant that someone was jealous of my entry but I do agree with the general consensus that the rankings in the thread don't make sense and are very harsh. It doesn't bother me personally but it's a kind of odd thing to see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There should have been a voting guideline to follow. For example:

1 = This image is an absolute abomination of art. It shows no effort and took no talent. A few hours (if that) were spent creating this piece.

5 = This image is average. Not bad, but needs much more effort involved.

10 = There is not one mistake in this supreme piece of artwork. It is the prime example of talent and time well spent. It probably took a few weeks to a month to create.

Then fill in the in between ratings accordingly. You know, something along these lines.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptcrawler View Post
    Thats the problem with poles and votes in competitions like this, its easy to log in with dummy accounts and pad your own ratings while ranking down the competition, just check out the thread to see thats whats happening - lots of quality work getting ranked with 3's and 5's when they are more like 8's, while not so great work is 6 and 7's.

Its really dissappointing to see childish behaviour like that in such a great community thats known for striving for personal excellence and honest feedback.
    I can't agree less.. it makes me terribly confused on how all is ranked now, and if i should place votes using the basis of what has been set up with what seems like rank 4 and 5=fair, 6 and 7= good, 8, 9=best..?? stretching the appropriate range from 1-10 to say....-5 to 9?? I also wonder if the "idea development (50 percent) and technique (50 percent)" part is taken into any consideration at all for many of the pieces, some have excellent concept and deserve so much more. All in all though, i have never agreed with a ranking system.. but admit i do find it funny sometimes in non-serious circumstances.

On the same thread of these problems is also the popularity contest.. i hope this wouldn't come in especially in the real polls.

Last edited by calyx; August 10th, 2009 at 02:44 AM. Reason: repeat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, a lot of work that it mediocre at best (I'm sorry folks, but in my humble opinion some of it is not really outstanding) get ranked almost as high as really outstanding work.

Clearly people have not asked themselves: 1) Is it well executed? and 2) Is the content original? That means not a copy of a copy of the orc/robot/fairy/whatever, that everybody draws.

Rather, you are left with the feeling that people think: "Oh man, there's slime in it, how cool!" or something, or worse, that people are actively boosting their own ranking.

Too bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think, it should be like "choose your ten best and put it in the order you like"

that would wipe out all this nonsense..

Last edited by MoonChilD; August 10th, 2009 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a little confused. Has there been an official note stating the votes on the final images thread are the people's choice votes or is that just the general assumption?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ladycrowe- It is just to post all the works together and then people started voting. I am sure it will have nothing to do with the People's Choice vote. It just has been a few days and noone has heard a word about the contest and what is going on and everyone is getting a little uneasy. So of the people are still posting their work and that would be unfair to just go of that thread.

As far as the voting/ranks on the images and posts go... I find it funny how Jason's first post opening up Final Image thread has 7+ rank and that is 95% higher then most of the artwork in the whole bunch.

I would not worry about the voting at all. There will always be people that don't care. I think it is better to tell the people what you really like. I have personaly gone to a few outside of this site to let them know how much I really like their work.

The truth may be that there are just to many images at the moment for everyone to really take a good look and vote/rank accordingly. To really have a good idea you have to study the image and think about everything as a whole and that can take a few moments of your time. Randis's work really is wonderful and it is a little shocking that it is not ranked higher. I still believe that he will win with the Golem. The people's choice will be really up in the air. Then you have to take out the winners of the regional. That can take out most peoples #1 they would have picked for the people's choice. The ones that everyone really loves right now may just be taken out of the people's choice vote when they place in the top winners. To leave more open to vote for..so everyone keep an open mind for voting and don't think their is no way that you could not be the lucky few

I am sure when it comes down to the real PC's voting, the grand winner and areas winners...judging will be much more fair.

Last edited by LillyCat; August 11th, 2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: omg CA please get some more emotes ROFL
    -Linda Lisa

Illustrator/Concept Artist

:
    •Web Art Site
    •DeviantArt Art

:
    Linda Lisa West
    LindaLisaArt@live.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LillyCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i would assume that a whole new thread will be created for the simple fact that more than half of those pieces in the final image thread dont even follow the contest theme at all.
    those will be disqualified and not in the running for final voting.
    just be patient guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtSyndicate View Post
    i would assume that a whole new thread will be created for the simple fact that more than half of those pieces in the final image thread dont even follow the contest theme at all.
    those will be disqualified and not in the running for final voting.
    just be patient guys.

Agreed.

I was just thinking...is there something set up to stop someone that makes new emails or ip or even has many people sign-up the day of the voting to vote on the artwork or something? Like if there is an overflow of people new to the site and is known that all they are doing is all voting in the contest?

Maybe a area and is not seen but for the members before a date where the voting is posted.

-Linda Lisa

:
    •Web Art Site
    •DeviantArt Art

:
    Linda Lisa West
    LindaLisaArt@live.com

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo View Post
    There should have been a voting guideline to follow. For example:

1 = This image is an absolute abomination of art. It shows no effort and took no talent. A few hours (if that) were spent creating this piece.

5 = This image is average. Not bad, but needs much more effort involved.

10 = There is not one mistake in this supreme piece of artwork. It is the prime example of talent and time well spent. It probably took a few weeks to a month to create.

Then fill in the in between ratings accordingly. You know, something along these lines.

1 = science fiction

5= reality

10 = fantasy

lol

guys relax, this is not the voting thread! all this ratings are done by the competitors them self and not judges or the public voice.
    Artists rated each other down thats it.
    someone give you a 1 you go someone else a 1 and so on and BAM all have 1.

everyone is a winner! come on!
    so many artists pushed their work to a new limit, looking at all the pics you can tell that some of the pics are the best in their ports.
    That already is worth gold.
    All those who pushed and tried hard regardless of their skill level, even tho they knew they might not get the first place, all those people are the real winners for me.

Because that is what a competition is about.

It's not about giving each other numbers, hate or a pissing contest pr social status
    its about earning respect with hard work from fellow artists, its about the race itself, learning from each other, working on your own mistakes, every one can join regardless of sex and social status, everyone is equal.
    And if you do not win today, build a faster racing car, there will always be a next race tomorrow.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well said randis

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Randis. I haven't a hope in hell of winning, but it was real learning experience, and I learnt a new program as well. It was fun watching some of the pictures develop in the early stages.

Anyone who pulled out all the stops should be proud of what they did. You know how much effort you put in, and I bet loads of people learnt more about what they are capable of and surprised themselves. If that was you, I applaud you and look forward to meeting you in the next contest.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    indeed... I consider the piece I made a consolation itself... this contest motivated me enough to put my unpolished skill to whole new level, despite being armed with only a mouse and an outdated version of PS, I still managed to finish it nonetheless... thank you for cheering other participants, randis, you truly are an artist proven by both your skills and attitude...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I totally agree with you Randis. I came into this competition knowing I would not win. This was the first painting I have done completely digitally. I learned (kinda) how to use Poser in the process. Also it was the first competition I have entered. I feel I have won no matter what, since I have learned so much in the process. Becoming a part of the Concept Art community has been a prize in it self. Doing this competition has given me the self-confidence to go to new heights. Randis, Crypt Crawler, Muttenhead, and Irawan you guys Rock!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes its good and all but sometimes you want to enter a competition to win it!!
    (no?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everybody wants to be a winner. Otherwise, whats the point? But being honest with yourself and knowing where your skill level is compared to others is how you evolve as an artist. Every time you create you learn something new no matter how trivial. It would be wonderful to win the contest but understanding there is more to be won than just first prize is the key to becoming a better artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So Randis, since it is not a big deal for you...you are more then welcome to send me your Wacom tablet when you win because my little cousin dropped and broke mine 2 weeks ago. lol JK

I feel the same way about the not careing as much about winning but I have to say with my tablet the way it is now...it sure would be the greatest just for that matter.

You are very kind with your words and you are super right that everyone that as entered and the ones that didn't get to finsh in time but still finshed their artwork all should be very proud! To be 100% truthful, this is the best contest I have every see on the shear fact that there are so many AMAZING pictures that has been entered.

Really... the best of luck to everyone!

Cheers

Last edited by LillyCat; August 11th, 2009 at 10:30 AM.
    -Linda Lisa

:
    •Web Art Site
    •DeviantArt Art

:
    Linda Lisa West
    LindaLisaArt@live.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, i didn't enter to win.
    i entered because i thought i had a good idea and could turn it into a cool piece. winning something would be awesome, but i dont think that'll happen considering the other entries. haha

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If i were the judge i would give everyone of you the First place! i would have all of you win! Really!
    and myself i would give the second place... and the tablet as a compensation

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL nice one but seriously, this has been an awesome contest, i mean with just one post from Randis i was able to tranform my image to something i'd never even considered before. It's a great honor to be able to ineract with great artists like Lillycat, CryptCrawler, Randis & many more and learn from you guys. To be honest i feel like a winner just because i was able create something i'm proud to add to my portfolio.

Last edited by miycko; August 11th, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
    DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

27. The Following User Says Thank You to miycko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My initial goal with the contest wasn't to win (I figured I had no chance against the talent that drips from this place) but I still wanted to challenge myself to see if I could go beyond my usual fare. And, hey, randomly having something good enough to win a prize is always a bonus, right?

Not only am I proud of knowing I can push myself beyond my own limits, but I'm very happy that my piece seems well received in the final images thread and my confidence level had been boosted. All in all this contest has been a success whether I get a prize or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Miycko, MoonChilD and I can't remember all the names (still new here) You all have great threads for your artwork as well as wonderful paintings. You asked questions and showed step by step almost as you went along. That to me is one of the best things with this contest. You get to watch it like a birth of a newborn and I think that helps make it all the better with the theme. That is another thing you should be proud of It seems that the art you made for this contest really sets off your profolios to the next level.

As for the way I think when I enter in any contest...it plays over and over in my head if I would to win...would this be something I want to be known for or would this or that look good on a cover or front page? Would the text work with this layout or would the colors I am using work as CMYK printed? I guess I like to play as if I was doing work for a client lol

That is something that is great about contests..much like working for someone, you have a deadline and you have to do what they would want so you can make money.

-Linda Lisa

:
    •Web Art Site
    •DeviantArt Art

:
    Linda Lisa West
    LindaLisaArt@live.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lillycat ,thanks you very much for your kind words.

for me anyway,it's clear that in such a contest,you have to show your progress as well as asking questions about if it's feel right or not ...not only it makes you progress but you are most of the time so much into what you're painting that you canno't see the obvious mistakes!
    so you receive help and show your progress...it's a mutual relationship
    and it's great.you try to respect the critics (that's a big learning for someone who wants to be a great artist )
    then you can help other easily in that manner (it's so much easy to see the mistakes of others ,while you cannot see the tree that's growing into your own eyes )

you know,it's ironic to name a contest "newborn" when the process itself of making a picture out of nothing and show your progress to other fellow artists is a newborn thing in it's essence(a lot of artists here have used that idea for their concepts anyway:painting an artist creating worlds)

anyway the goal of all this is to become better and better share ideas and make something beyond what you could have expected in the first place.

so your post is good for me because i know i won something allready;i've shared what i've learn listening to others,helped and became better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    already knew going into it that what i was doing pretty much would not fit right on a magazine cover or win.
    But i do what i want cos im stubborn like that, and i challenged *me* to get something sculpted in time.
    i don't mind not being up there with the truly excellent work, cos, yah! i beat my own self doubt about not being able to finish something. go me!!
    i think i did a great job,for me at my own level,i'm proud of myself--- but i think others did much better all around,for everyone's level, ya know?
    i dont mind sitting back &watching people win who are like cryptcrawler,muttnhead,randis or anyone else who made my jaw drop in this contest cos they kick ass and deserve a win.

i'd like a talent-staggered contest sometime on this site. lol All the kick ass people to the left...all the just about to kick ass people in the middle..
    and the rest of those like me drooling/crying at everyone else's work and trying to get half as good as what we see to the right.

"Steering perception? i am.
    Inviting contradiction? i am."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So true.

This contest really pushed me to the limits. Always when I was thinking "I'm done" I put it into the thread, got reply and saw that there is still so much to improve... and so it went on. I even had to redo one piece completely. ^^°

Good luck to everybody, may the best win.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, I did this contest mainly for the experience

Please visit
    My Sketchbook

and
    my DeviantArt Page

To contact me, email me at: hpsvg@hotmail.com

I hope you enjoy my artwork!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to MeBabyMe For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know my piece wasn't finished when I submitted it, but I will finish it for me.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3