Sketchbook: My Sketch book Crit if its bad Crit if its good!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile My Sketch book Crit if its bad Crit if its good!

Last edited by Collin Smiley; May 17th, 2010 at 10:37 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am wondering if any one has tips about what types of pens are good for the style of art i do ? i am currently using micron fiber (black) and Bic ball 10 cent pen (blue)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MORE!

so.. i have scanned some more stuff, once i get my camera i will phtograph my scetchbook

Last edited by Collin Smiley; May 17th, 2010 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like those first sketches- try and study the native american arts on west coast- I see a lot of similarity there. Try and draw from life- or whats in front of you-not from photos. It is the best way to learn. Keep drawing.

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirkenneth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep posting and you'll keep improving! tis a fact!

The clockworksnail Experience- SKETCHBOOK!!!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...clockworksnail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Sir Kenneth, the wale picture was my atemt at naitive art, i think it turned out pretty good, drawing from like is definatly something i have to improve on, i am going to start drawing people on the subway and busses, my friends have agreed to help by posing for me. I bought a little pozy doll from ikea i think i will bennifit from that. Thanks for the crit and i hope to see some impovement by my next post!

Last edited by Collin Smiley; May 17th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's cool how you're experimenting with different mediums. : >

If you have the time, please stop by my sketchbook, Chock Full o'Nuts.
    I would appreciate any advice or critiques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DK- i want to try all of the good mediums to find witch is best for me, right now i perfer the blue bic and quill. pencil is to messy for me but it helps with shading.

Last edited by Collin Smiley; May 17th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the note on my sb. the paper i'm using is kraft paper or craft.. i dunno. you can buy huge rolls of them for pretty cheap. the pads are a bit pricier. the one i'm using there is big, approx 2'x3'. like the big newsprint pads but a few bucks extra. i've decided to do my gestures and to 5 minute poses on the cheap newsprint, then when i have more time, like 10 or 30 minutes i use the brown craft paper, cuz you can go up in value (highlights) and down. as opposed to regular white/light paper, you gotta fill in EVERYTHING except the highlights. i'm really rambling. let me know if this makes no sense.

the pens i like to use are black papermate ballpoint pens. they're cheap and they don't leave globs of ink ling around like some pens do. just draw with really no pressure at all then as you correct your lines use more and more pressure to get a darker line. (you can see the original light lines then dark lines on mine here )but don't go nuts, you dont want to indent lines into your page. going over a line with the same pressure over and over will also make it darker. if the micron pens you use are what i think they are, you can't really get these real light lines for your original gesture, therefore you don't get to really develop your drawing. it's dark or nothin.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the_original_sean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so mutch for the help sean. I know what you mean about the microns they are black or black, i will try the paper mate ball pens i have tryed with bics but you seem to have realy great results so i will try those! The paper you are talking about sounds realy familiar to the stuff my mom buys for her day care. I will try it out, do some 5 min scketches. Thank's a wad for all the feed back its mutch apreciated.

I will post some more of my work when i get home tonight. I have done some fast scetches of faces and eyes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Next

Third...

Last edited by Collin Smiley; May 17th, 2010 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some More updates, i did these last night so i dont know how they turned out i was tired. first is some guy i imagined the next are all my maniquin thing poses. enjoy and please crit!

Last edited by Collin Smiley; May 17th, 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook
    It's good that your studying anatomy, which is what everyone needs to do Have a go at throwing in some posemaniacs into your studies, so you get a feeling of the form as a whole. I would also suggest moving back to pencil, until you are comfortable using it. It is always the best way to start out, as it will move into other areas if you understand it. Pen is always fun, but if you can't change a work when you are still learning, and make a mistake, it could ruin a whole piece, and become discouraging. Keep the work coming though, you will see an improvement soon enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are on a good way.. keep studing the basics and you will grow fast

thanks for stoppin by at my sketchbook..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Karein- thanks so mutch for the helpfull post, you are rite about pen being discouraging its so discouraging when i messup

Fast art- thank you for stoping bye, im going to study the basics until i am master basic artist

Last edited by Collin Smiley; May 17th, 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the boldness in your inked designs! And keep at it with the studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by Collin Smiley; May 17th, 2010 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your recent clean pen work. It's awesome. Keep up the studies man. And be persistent! Perseverance is key. Don't be so shy showing off you stuff, keep posting.

I'm out to conquer the world equipped with a pencil, digital paint and a Sketchbook
    and when I do achieve that goal...I'll conquer the moon too

"When you draw nervously you end up with a nervous drawing, so drawing strongly produces lines filled with vitality"- Nightow Yasuhiro

"Use the ability you already have, and use it, and use it, and make it develop itself."-Robert Henri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey, first I'd like to thank you for dropping by my sketchbook and leaving me the comment you did, I appreciate it. Second you mentioned you were working your way into studying and drawing human form and from what I see here your off to a nice start. I'd recommend that you buy these following artists books; Bridgman, Vanderpole, and if you wanna watch instead of read than I suggest Villipu's dvds. As a last resort you can go to Loomis's book which has a pdf file floatin around these forums somewhere, the book is not bad at all but if you can get bridgman, well than go with him for he teaches way better than the rest.
    Another investment that you may want to look into is a figure drawing class, that uses a live model. I"m currently in one and it's benefitted me fantastically.

As for the head/portrait sketches you have posted thus far. Their ok, but what you need to learn is the basic head measurments, and I'll outline them for you quickly;
    1. Eyes fall dead center of the head
    2. Nose and Ear are the same size
    3. Mouthes tend to fall between the pupils.
    4. Between the eyes their should be an eye's length space, your nose shall be this width and should fall there.
    5. A head is 3 noses high(the one in the middle, one beneath it to the bottom of the face, one above it to the hairliine(widows peak/etc. etc.))
    6.after that third nose, there is an eye height wise, that is where you hair shall fall.
    7.The neck is simply a drop down from the head, that can be drawn properly if you run lines down from the sides of the eyes closet to the ears.
    8. A head is 5 eyes across
    9.NOTE THAT THIS INFORMATION IS FOR FRONT FACING PORTRAITS!(and in most cases for profile ones.) Just letting you know so that you don't apply that to everything.

Well I'll leave you with that food for thought, and I'll be checking in from time to time so please keep this sketchbook active!
    ~Marth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so mutch fot this great coment marth, its nice to have somthing to work on. I will be using your coment to help me in my next few scetches, i will post every day for the next year so check in lots!! thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want the pictures to be not so orange, take them with the window open during the day. : ) It helps keep the colors right.

Your torsos are looking a lot better, but your arms and legs are still lacking. Be sure to not overlook them, take a break if you get bored, but come back and give them your full attention. ; ) They are very important parts of the body.

If you have the time, please stop by my sketchbook, Chock Full o'Nuts.
    I would appreciate any advice or critiques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its great to see your really hitting the anatomy studies. I'm trying to do the same. I'm sure its been said before, but I'm finding pose maniacs and loomis invaluable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot Dk i will try that window thing i hate yellow pictures, and yea i mostly focus on torsos and should do arms and legs more, thanks for stopping by

Thanks for stopping in DeeStar i love the posemaniacs i use them alot the get tiring after a wile thats why u do lost of other stuff (doodles Drawing with random stuff AKA berries)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update today ~!

Last edited by Collin Smiley; May 17th, 2010 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I'm just stopping by again, and I gotta say, your improving, just keep chuggin along in those studies, and theres no telling how much you'll improve .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont use a solid line around eyes. break it up or the eyes will look symbolic IE flat. Stop thinking so much about the surface you are drawing on. Rewire your brain to think of a piece of paper as an empty three dimensional space.

Because it is. Its a big empty white room just waiting to be filled with objects... or people.

This distinction always helped me out... because you have to stop thinking about what the front of an object looks like... or which lines you are supposed to be putting down and start to think about what the WHOLE object looks like, trying first to explain to yourself (in light pencil marks) what the object would look like if it were made from tinted glass. or more accurately:explain to yourself in the simplest terms possible how the object is constructed. You can't draw something you don't fully understand.

Then remember that usually you are looking at the bottom of surfaces above the horizon and the top of surfaces below it and kablamo... your awesome at art.

Sort of?
    OK Ramble time feel free to skip:
    Anyways at its most basic level, figurative drawing is the process of kicking your brain until it stops trying to mine data about distances and proportions when you look at stuff.
    Cause when you look at a landscape that contains a pot (which is close by) and a (far away)lamppost your brain is going to automatically say something like "oh look at that lamppost thats about nine feet tall and fire engine red"(stop and imagine that for a second... the image is bizzar at best but lets pretend nine foot tall fire engine red lamp posts are a reality) Then you look at the pot and your brain goes "oh lookie a two foot tall pot which is perrywinkle blue!"

When you try and draw this landscape its going to be a fucking struggle now. Because in reality, the pot could be perrywinkle blue in a virtual environment or something but it only LOOKS perrywinkle blue when you take the colors around it into account. THEN ON TOP OF THAT: what if the pot, which is closer, is actually larger in your view because of PERRRRRSPEEEEECTIIIIIIIIVE?

now your screwed.

Your brain did a whole bunch of footwork before you started drawing or painting or whatever, You have depicted some sort of crazy 300 foot tall ultralamp 20 ft in the distance and a Teeny Tiny glowing blue pot.

So if you repeatedly kick your brain on a daily basis. Telling it things like "NO THE POT IS CLEARLY LARGER IN THIS VIEW!" and "THERE IS A SKULL INSIDE THAT FLESHY THING"

it will eventually stop tripping you up with wierd guesswork.... and start lending a hand instead.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to batcustard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As it has been said, try to think in 3d. as a suggestion, I think working in terms of light and shadow will help you understand shapes.
    Keep posting!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Abrodos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Long time no update!

here we go

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for you post in my sketchbook the other day. You pen drawing with all the curves. There looking really good i am liking them a lot and the landscape what media is that done in keep up the good work.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to s1umpy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have some ideas really nice, but just try to be carefull with your lineart..
    there're a lot of exercises to practice it, or even if you look at you favorite caroon you may see how they work with in the line inside the same character or in the background..(a good line makes a big diference^^).

Have a nice day!

- Claud

My DeviantArt
    My Blog & Portfolio
    RGB-Love - Design & Illustration Studio

>> My CA SketchBook

(Someone learning, Comments & Critiques are always welcome! =))

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1