P.O.W.! Challenge 24--Final Poll
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for one entry only...

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Candy Rain

8 16.33%
  • darknight

2 4.08%
  • Rambozo

12 24.49%
  • strings

5 10.20%
  • Tangleworm

0 0%
  • Waterbird

22 44.90%

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 24--Final Poll

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 24--Final Poll

Final Poll: P.O.W.! 24: The Doll...

I'm finally starting to believe that starting P.O.W.! wasn't a mistake. Everybody outdid themselves this time out (30 pages in polling condition!) and there were a couple of damn good starts that I had to leave out. Good work, everyone and thank you for your efforts. I answered some questions in your polling entry if I spotted one. My apologies for the late poling--I live in a semi-rural area and heavy rains make my online connection too unstable to attempt posting a poll, so I have to wait for a clear weather period.

The voting will be open for roughly two weeks. Vote for one artist (and NOT yourself), and just to remind you--the theme is "The Doll..." with any interpretation you felt appropriate to your story. The art could have been either black and white or color, so don't let that sway your vote.

Artists are posted in alphabetical order...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Candy Rain...

[Candy Rain, drop me a PM with specs on what you have as a scanner and what software you have (Photoshop, scanner software, whatever) that you can use to manipulate images and I'll post some guidance for you.]

Attached Images Attached Images      
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darknight...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rambozo...

Rambozo, we don't have to present WIPs in P.O.W.! as part of the final presentation because there are so many ways of getting to the end result here. I often execute a complete comic in Illustrator without a single preliminary sketch other than a series of 2"-high thumbnails. That's possible because I don't have to worry about exact sizes and relative sizes between the characters (easy to correct before importing into PS), so I sometimes grind out an entire 5-10 pages on ONE illustrator page, but in pieces, then move them to individual pages when I feel comfortable. No WIPs.

I've seen arttorney just start drawing and whatever comes out is the page, no preliminary sketches. Others go through roughs, tight pencils, B&W "inking" then painting, in tightly controlled stages, or just start painting the same way they do an illustration.

When you get down to it, with 20 to 40 pages entered, we could have an overpowering amount of WIPs posted in the final few days which could increase the chance of mistakes in posting or setting up the poll. I DO like when people post their WIPs, though, as they work because it allows people to see "how-it's-done" by different entrants.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    strings...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tangleworm...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waterbird...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had to go for Candy'... So simple, but it works on multiple levels. I DO have to say that the quality of the others made it a rather hard choice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In terms of rendering, my hat goes to Rambozo. The WIPs were also interesting and provided some insight. Nice one. The character's very nice-looking too, though it took me a bit to recognize him in the last page (Is his mask off?).
    The comic itself, though, is okay. It's probably just me, but the story is just a teense too simple in my opinion.

Overall, my vote goes to Strings. I like the story and the no-dialogue feel of it, as well as the drawing style. This was a tough vote, well done on everybody's parts.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tangleworm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Waterbird! The textures are wonderful, and everybody knows dolls are evil. EEEEVILLLLL!

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also voted for waterbird.....nothing else to say really. Just that the other panels are riddled with too many discrepancies to enumerate here.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Well, geez, I almost posted and stupid browser sent me back a page, then forward to NOTHINGNESS. I didn't copy everything I wrote!!! ARRRRRGH!!! Okay, here goes:

I voted for Candy because that story really touched me! Maybe it was because I saw some documentaries on beauty pageants for girls, and the girls were trained by their moms, mainly, to do anything to win. Anyway, the way the girl frowns, so upset, it just melts my heart and makes me sad.

BUT Waterbird, wow!!! I am impressed with your details!!! That is amazing!! I just kept asking to the wind, "Ohhhh, how did Waterbird DO that?? And THAT?? Oooh, and that... @_@" Just amazing!! I think I was paying more attention to the "good" doll's expressions than to the storyline, except were the scissors part came in. I do wonder how the scissors managed to cut the other doll in half. I was a tad confused. Otherwise, I like what you did!

Rambozo, I love the rendering you did!! But I laughed at that "We've SO been tamed" line! Hee hee. I like those expressions at the end part!

Darknight, I think the idea is cute!! I wish there were more to it; it looks incomplete where it is right now. I was aching to see more!

Strings, I had to look over yours a few times, but then I got the idea! Poor doll, first off! XD I got a kick out of that ending twist! He seemed so loyal then *WAAAAH!!*, so funny! I admit I had trouble following it because the contrast was a bit too light for me, but once I figured it out, I was impressed!

Tangleworm, you had a neat idea!! It took me a few looks here, too. But I was only trying to figure out the parallel. Now I get it, and I do like it! Nice work!

Everyone did so awesome!! Hopefully I'll be able to join in. I'm a scaredy cat, though. o_o And with ideas like these, I'm MORE of a scredy cat!

Ilaekae, I'll always love this idea!! P.O.W. is awesomeness!!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was a tough vote between Rambozo, Waterbird and Candy Rain, but Candy ended up getting my vote because of the story. It hit a nerve somewhere

Nice work everyone!

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sorknes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow - outstanding round, people!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smugbug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Candy Rain, darknight, Rambozo, strings, Tangleworm, Waterbird

I know that I have said this before but P.O.W. has to be the most challenging community activity. I am always floored by the amount of energy and creativity infused into these panels. It was quite enjoyable reading all of the entries and I just wanted to convey an "ATTA BOY!" to everyone who participated.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AUG For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic works!

My vote goes to Waterbird.
    Nice consistent style, panel layout is good.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agree with Hunterkiller, Waterbird for sure, the rest is meh. Rambozo 2nd for me.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to eliturkoglu For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Water bird for me. I just loved the mixture of styles in pictures and the little detail of stitches edging the speech balloons was nice.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like that characters of waterbird, and the artwork is outstanding

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeitwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, her life WILL have to be sacrificed. My favorite line, but just a hair past, "Riddle me THIS, Sphinx!"

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjerk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Rambozo's my winner.

"We're so tamed..."

Made me LOL.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.