C.O.W.#146 - Shadow and Flame!!! -- Posting WIPs thread...
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W.#146 - Shadow and Flame!!! -- Posting WIPs thread...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W.#146 - Shadow and Flame!!! -- Posting WIPs thread...

For more infos and details about the rules go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round #146

Topic:
    Shadow and Flame!!

Creature Description: Shadow and Flame!!-- All righty. Back to deadly serious dark and hellish topics. JRR Tolkien's demon, the Balrog has been described as being a creature made of 'shadow and flame' Your task this week is to create a NEW creature made of shadow and flame. No, it should not be a reinterpretation of the Balrog. No, it should not carry a flaming sword and whip. Yes, it can be demonic. Yes it can be alien. Now bear in mind....The description of Tolkien's creature is both figurative and literal.While it's described as being made of two ephemeral pheomena, the creature had anatomy, weight, physcial presence. I don't want a blobby, amorphorous energy cloud. I want a physical creature. It's a new creature (species!) that can be described as being made of 'shadow and flame'

Deadline:
    Friday, 12 June 2009

Finals go here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=159779

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Michael Jaecks; June 5th, 2009 at 08:47 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet! I am in

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet!

I shot the sheriff.
    Now I'm the sheriff.

March's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds great! I'm in too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good! I'm glad to hear people chime in so quickly with their approval. Let's keep up that enthusiasm over the week. Quality, quality, quality. Toss some WIPs up when you have them and let's start pushing each other just a little bit harder.

We can only benefit from it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awww cool
    interesting that the definitions for shadow and flame are complete opposites, really want to play on the notion that shadow is something that exists in the absence of something/ behind an object - spooky/hunter style

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg .... even I want in on this one

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm getting in on time this time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, yes, YES! I finally have a week of no extraneous commitments, and I get a sweet prompt like this. Heck, this will be a great way to work on my fire.

Umm... shadow and fire. For some odd reason, I'm thinking a dark wasp. Fire is chaotic and fast and such, maybe I can run with that crazy nature. Then how could the shadow come in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, here we go. Please tell me if I'm way out of topic so I can start another one.

The basic concept here is the "light at the end of the tunnel". This wormlike creature produces dark shadows around it to hide in deep caves. It also has a fire producing gland way in his single and somewhat reflective intestine. People or creatures lost in the dark caves mistake the lit cavelike mouth and throat for a way out of the caves so they enter and continue in until they slip into the stomach acids.

I'm usually quite unpatient on my executions but I will try to work on this for a couple of days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow @_@....mj i have to congratulate you on this cool subject @_@.... tho i wish there were blobs T_T....but anyways here are my initial idea after a quite short ideation phase and its the first time i tried doing negative sketches and according to the resault it wont be the last time ^_^ had a couple of cool ideas in mind which included LOTS od eyes and a big mouth....
    so here it is :
    version 1:

version 2:

which one do you think is better @_@?
    idk if it fits well to the subject but exept those tentacile arms which will be like changing its state from air dust to solid (which toy gotta have it cuz thats shadow) all will be quite solid ^_^

gl everyone and hf and dont stop yourselfs if you wanna crit someones work ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    plenty of interest, this week will be a gudd'un

ok sum thumbs to spark a creation here - basic concept:
    maybe look at the wendigo legend, check it out on wikipedia is awesome, idea of ravenous hunger (the flame)
    to make it less human was thinking creature would be shadow in looks/form and the flame would be some characteristic rage it has due to exposed nerves or sensitive sense organs (maybe glowing to give a more literal link)

crits ideas are always welcome

Name:  heads.gif
Views: 1848
Size:  185.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some head ideas for him.

Which head do you guys think gives the best vibe of a balance between passive and agressive? I imagine fire as a very active, agressive element. Like a fire dominant creature would be out running around, bringing itself to the prey. Shadow seems really passive, like an ambush predator. I want to find a balance. Maybe a whole other head design?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't participated in a while but this is worth stepping in for I think!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far entries like MoHog are most on track with what I expect. I like where Labyrinthines heads are going too...

This is still a creature. The notion that it is literally made of shadow may not be a good direction for folks who have not done a lot of finely detailed rendering. The notion that Tolkien's Balrog was made of 'shadow and flame' is really not literal nor figurative.... it's poetic, which an economical hybrid of both literalism and metaphor...

Think about it this way. You're an adventurer making his or her way through a dungeon or cave. You walking unsuspectingly into some horrible creatures lair. It's huge, and clawed and loud and fierce, it's body is jet black, maybe furry, maybe scaley, maybe chitnous, maybe a combination of all those things. Wreathed around it's head or perhaps coming out of it's nostrils... or claws or wings is this intense, bright, nearly blinding raditation of heat and light. Maybe fire seems to seethe beneath its skin, visible through holes or ports or cracks in it's body...The very sight of it betrays it's power and you are TERRIFIED. You bolt. You run for your life. Are you sure you saw what you saw? You keep running. It (fortunately) doesn't follow you. An hour later you find some other adventurers. You're still terrified. You try to tell them what you saw. You're confused. Not making sense. A wreck, obviously scarred by the horrific creature you saw an hour ago. One of the adventurers asks you, sort of shaking you back to your senses... "WHAT. DID. IT. LOOK LIKE?"

You say: "It looks like it was made... from shadow and flame!!!!"

Okay... so now you're not the adventurer anymore. Now your the artist responsible for designing this horrible, ebon, burning monstrosity. You're the person responsible for terrifying the viewer. You're designing a creature so malevolent anyone who encountered it inside the framework of it's fictional world would describe it as being made 'of shadow and flame.'

Does that make sense?

NO BLOBBY SHAPELESS ENERGY FIELDS...

And grue Aren't you kind of bored of worm creatures? We've seen worm creatures a million times here.

Let's try not to be so clever with our concepts in our heads... lets think about making awesome inspired creature designs ... In fact... seeing as though I think it is fair warning given that it is the beginning of the week:

BLOBBY SHAPELESS BORING THINGS WILL NOT GET TAKEN TO THE POLL... Along with poor renders and rushed entries...

I'm serious.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    grue- its a cool idea and i think that as long as it involves fire and shadow in it its ok but i think mj needs to decide about that ^_^ looking forward for updates ^_^

mo hog- thats a nice idea too and i rly like those sketches @_@ looking forward to see how yull progress with this one

labrynthine-hmm thats a nice aproach to take about the fire and shadow ^_^
    and about the faces i think that no 1 is already is assaulting (but it has a rly rly cool face @_@) no 3 and 5 are in that momeny when the creature is drooling whike it sees it's pray and befor it storms.
    no 4 is rawring but its face seems like its too passive when its not rawring
    and no 2 seems like the stalker and i really like its design although from the side its too flat ^_^
    i think in terms of favourites its 1 and 2 but according to the poses and the question you asked maybe no 3 is the best out of the 5 in temrs of passive and active and thats only my opinion ^_^
    looking forward to seeing the updates on this one ^_^

hf everyone and gl ^_^

hmm so mj...is my crit considered bloby @_@ ?or should i ask after ill clear things out with this sketch >_> ?

Last edited by acb; June 5th, 2009 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    acb: the first one is too humanoid. The second one looks a little stiff.

Think about what I said above about scaring the adventurer

(or.. say... an astronaut... this creature COULD be alien too...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Michael Jaecks: Thanks for clarifying boss Although that's just my 2nd entry in these parts of the woods. I haven't done any shapeless wormlike creatures before

I'll think of something else

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exactly what i was in the mood for, perfect for my first round of Cow, good luck every one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    labrythine: nice work, really fluid + original. no 1 is my favourite atm, looking forward to seeing how that develops

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a non-wormy WiP.
    Mane of fire and various dents and cuts on places that let out fire and thick smoke that cover the creature in dancing shadows.

hunchback is offline I disagree! PENIS! TACO! CHEWBACCA!
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first cow baby!!

uh my mind keeps thinking of hurricane's demon lord sketch

gotta get to work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grey scale sketchin'
    Trying to get the composition right, theres something about it that bothers me. Ill sort it out laters, C&C welcome

Edit#
    I think ill alianize the goat, its too goaty
    MJ can you use your mod powers to make this thread visible as the current cow thread on the frontpage? :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic, made me want to join in. never tried COW before.

here's my first idea, not that original, was going for a different kind of dragon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bangalore
    Looks promising, is it going to have wings?

Heres my last update today, and probably the last B&W unless something comes up. Ill probably change the whole damn thing once i start coloring... i really sux at coloring : /

This is just the action pose, ill make some technical ones where the whole creature is visible with side views and all that shizzzz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a giant creature holding and throwing flame and by the fire always following it also throwing it's frightening shadow on the ground.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting topic. I'll go for bioluminescence, this reptile lives deep in the caves of mountains where it is wet. They live and work as ants do, they have one queen per one "family" and she's completely attached to the surrounding ceiling and walls. The light serves as an important guide to the workers as they make their way home or go fetch her and the hatchlings food.
    Name:  wip_1 copy.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  132.3 KB

Edit.
    Quick update.
    Name:  wip_2 copy.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  146.5 KB

Last edited by pahavasa; June 5th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cow #146 shadow & flame

great topic and cool ideas so far.

pahavasa: this is stunning! i really like the textures on the 'face'.
    Michael Jaecks: thanks for your very inspiring second concept description. it really painted pictures in my mind (which was more or less blank before)!

i'm still struggling with the structure since both shadow and flame can be both soft and hard... hope to gain some believable and interesting contrast.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mara644 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My own quick rough start. was going for a Deep sea Vent camo-type crab, though now Ill probally just focus on losing the crab parts and bringing some more meat/texture to the body.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do like fire.

Can someone PLEASE tell me if this sucks as much as my last one. I don't wanna bother developing a concept that has no aesthetic appeal to anyone else. I can't seem to gauge this crowd correctly. You won't hurt my feelings by telling me it sucks.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.