Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    red: thanks! and I'm glad you feel inspired Figure studies are great!

twan: thanks! yes, he has no neck i need to learn how to draw necks on uber buff men xD Hahah and yes I think you're right about the eyes--definitely not the right size!

Grandmassa: Thanks man!! hahah keep it rocckkkkinnnN!!

papervampire: thanks so much! Hahah yes, hogarth! And thanks for the tip about HB pencils, I've been using that more now and trying to get my values mostly that , it's tough but good practice.

snootchy: thanks man, I do try to keep in mind what you told me about paying attention before putting a stroke down, and I finally feel like I'm able to break down the body better in the gesture sketches thanks!

Pyro: Well at least it's nice to know another person in the tri state area! Thanks for stopping by!

double: Oh wow >W< thanks! I feel very honored!

quikenobi: thanks! yes, I do. I rush a lot of things >< And that self portrait i will admit was very sloppy and rushed. I'm gonna try and put some more time and quality into my works now.

--------------------------------------------------------

woo, 3rd page, and I definitely did not expect this many people to crit and support me--you guys are awesome and inspiring!!

Didn't have much time today, migraine and taking care of my bro.
    I've been listening to what you guys are saying and have decided to get down and dirty with some serious quality studies. I might return to some of these studies because I'm not very satisfied with them.

and a WIP of my second newborn entry, my first was mega fail xx

the close up is a small sargent study

edit: ewwww why does my sargent study look like g.bush ? T___T

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by hala; June 25th, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
    "Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cool update hala. I've seen 2 sp's from you, not sure if there are more. I like em and I reckon you should do a few but render them out more. I like coming to this s'book. See soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jigje For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yo Hala, awesomeness, I really like the first study, i think the proportions and pose is done really well so great job on that, also the contour gestures are looking better and better! I think your capturing more of what the quick gestures are for, just help u loosen up, i mean for a 1 minute quick gesture sketch you're not going to end up with a masterpiece but just a few lines that you can walk away with that appeal.

as for the Sargent study, I don't think it's a bad attempt, I think before getting into values or any of that, try and lay down the line sketch fairly lightly, because when u go back into rendering the forms out with hatching, u don't want those lines to show through and appear more like a painting rendering where edges (not lines) define the form. Also a quick note on hatching, when you first start out, it really helps to stick with one direction before getting more crazy hatches going on, simplify as much as you can and then build up. I know this may sound weird but they tell you to hatch with the form but I think it gets really confusing and laying in the first hatch in same direction for a flat light value (for the first pass) actually helps a lot to see clearly what you're trying to accomplish in terms of value study when u get to rendering a sketch.

Hope this g'berish helps!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

7. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 903 Posts
    You have a good eye for spatial relationships, but your line quality and confidence in the form is a wee bit skittish, confidence will come in time. You have talent, and it's apparent in your art, keep going you'll be great one day!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mike butkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    WOWZERZ the last one looks like ssssssoo much FUN!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 800 Posts
    I like the Sargent study. For a crit, his face seems a bit asymmetrical (but I don't know what image you're working from, maybe that's in the original?).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey, nice work in here so far! I was the same way when I first got to art school; I had just realized that was what I wanted to do for a living, and I realized how little I actually knew!

I found this to be an advantage though. Because while I was working hard all through school to catch up, the people who were better were not improving very much at all, simply because they already thought they were good enough. Make sure you keep this healthy attitude of wanting to learn learn learn! And soon you will be top of the class!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sublimus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, you already made a nice improvment ! Keep working at it ! do more of everything, especially life drawing and painting ! Keep it up

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    jigje: thanks I definitely will be doing more sp's, I jut gotta really work into my schedule so they are not rushed and sloppy

snootchy: thanks man! though i still feel like that study needs work xP Should I be doing 1 min? all my gesture studies are 30 second studies o.O i'm thinking maybe that's why my lines quality sucks? What do you suggest?

mike: Thanks man! Yeah, I definitely need to work on that, that is a common crit I get on my works

Grandmassa: What's rockkkinnnnnn man?! Hahah thanks! I hope that piece turns out well

dierat: Yes, you're totally right, i went back in and made some corrections, but I'm gonna redo the study and try and get it symetrical, thanks for pointing that out!

sublimus: Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only person likethat, it gives me hope Haha yes, I've found quite a fewof my classmates apparently don't need artschool (fools), so I hope you're right! Thanks!

walid d: Thanks! Yes, I definitely need to do more!

-----------------------------------------------------

I am starting to miss Philly x.x I miss being able to get up in the morning and go to the PMA (big time art museum, like a Baby MET) at 9 am and stay there till 4:30 pm. I also miss life drawing x.x

sorry for the crappy update today. could not stay awake for anything x.x
    expect a shitton of gestures and a SP in the near future....

today's serving:
    -A WIP, personal piece trying to learn how to paint D:
    -crappy gestures, i usually do gestures when i first wake up. this time i waited till the afternoon and THEY SUCK.
    -hogarth studies, unfinished, will be doing more. I kept falling asleep

thanks a ton guys for all ur crits and help--it means a lot to me

gonna go to bed now before 2 am for the first time in a while ;p

Attached Images Attached Images            
    "Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Nice work! I think some referenced digital paintings will really help you develop your digital painting skills. You're studies are looking great though, they'll really help you improve Keep it up!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jackpot_anjr90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    holy shit! ok what have you done with our old hala!! loving this last batch of goodies, i agree with jackpot anjr90 in that doing ref'd paints digitally will definitely help big time because as you select colors you'll see how it is affected in the hsb sliders (hue sat tone)

it's great to see process shots and i think even the bright yellow textures are great on the face, i think i always forget just how much texture exists on the skin, great job; as for colors i think using slightly more saturated colors will help

as for gestures, 30secs is great, i think the lines are getting better and better, definitely showing more confidence in the last gestures; practicing all different amount of times is great, starting with 30 secs and gradually work up the time in a sketch session so that you can decipher what is important to convey the figure in the alotted time

keep up the great work!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

22. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    SHAZAM the colors and lighting ROCK!!!!THE MOOD SET IS WAY COOL an the studies are RAD'

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks

wow

wow! you sure are really good at drawing the human figure! how did you became that good? do you know a nice book that teaches it well?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to zanna92 For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2