Sketchbook: JULY 1 --The Hermit starts again! - Page 4

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow hala, your getting so good so fast!

Good job on the studies, and the paintings are looking amazing!!!

Such great porgress girl, now keep it up!
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome amounts of progress already! Of course, we all want more! Keep them going, I don't think there's anything that I can offer in critique really, right now, because I feel like everything that I'll mention you'll improve on anyways tomorrow. :3 Keep it up!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sketcheth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grandmassa: thanks man I will play around with that---I think perhaps I haven't been conscious while making my lines--your process should help me to become more aware, thanks!!

snootchy: thanks man Hmmmm I think my sketchy lines are a bad habit perhaps I think I confused them for personal style, and my teachers have always encourage it saying it was "energetic", this is the first time I'm being confronted with it, so I'm definitely gonna tackle this and try not to relaspse into that bad habit. and thanks for the tip on painting! I think I should start writing these down on teh side of my PC

jailhouse: thanks man!

sketcheth: thanks! hahah well if you think of anything let me know! thanks for stoppin by

__________________________________________________ __

I don't know where my head has been all day.
    up my ass it feels like.
    I have gotten overconfident and lazy. I can crank out much more than this.

tomorrow--i will wake up with my head on straight.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    "Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh great update hala, the apple looks delic and the portrait is awesome, love the slight texture and lines on the face! gestures are looking great as well!

hala: my teachers have always encourage it saying it was "energetic"
    i always luv'd hearing this one in figure drawing class i took and always thought it was a nice way of saying try harder, hahaha (sorry might not be in your case since you seem to have much better grasp on quick gestures than i do); but I had like barbwire type of drawings back when i started which was terrible, still not that much better but after seeing great draftsmen like a james jean sketchbook, i wanted to push myself to obtain sharper more confident lines and keep aiming for that so i guess this was where i was coming from on the whole contour lines or breaking curves into simple lines

either way the most important thing is that your practicing and liking the daily updates, and improvements in each new post!! Keep up the good stuff!!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

8. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, I never thought of it that way, it has usually been followed up with "good work" , and i never thot to look at is a way of saying "try harder" so I appreciate that insight

[CENTER]
    My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your biggest issue is ur completion of each peice, alot of people have this problem including me and it takes confidence to push it to the limit. GL and nice SB sofar

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus Food For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    SHAZAM' THAT APPLE ROOOOOOOOOOCKS! AN I REALLY LIKE THE GUYS FACE'
    if this is what'cha do'n w/ yer head up yer @$$ I CAN'T WAIT TA SEE WHAT'CHA DO W/ IT ON STRAIGHT

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies! Keep up what you're doing but try to work on your foreshortening and proportions. Keep at it!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jackpot_anjr90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hala ROCKS!
    *squints eyes* an waits for hala updates of ROCK'

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Not_Deadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    snootchy: been thinking about what you said so i tried approaching the gesture studies differently--don't know if it looks more skittish now or what ;p

jesus food: thank man yeah, I need to start pushing each piece further

grandmassa: Thanks man lol hahah unfortunately my head is still up my ass so i guess we'll have to wait and find out xD

jackpot: thanks man Yes, I notice my foreshortening is looking like shit, time to get into perspective studies!

not-deadman: Thanks yup, it is definitely on the list along with proportions.

----------------------------------------

sorry guys, i'm just not ok right now. I'm trying to find some inner peace and i just haven't found it yet.

xx
    gesture studies and some hogarth studies, hopefully i can get on track and do a still life every day. and some perspective studies to fix my foreshortening

edit: so the minute after i submit this my mom comes in and gives me a hug and kisses.

Last edited by hala; July 3rd, 2009 at 06:44 PM.

[CENTER]
    My Website

21. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like how on these studies the lines are more certain #3 on the second scan the line goes all the way from the waist to the foot
    an ISN'T THAT THE COLEST THING ' fer me its the lil' things

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheer up Hala. You're probably going to burst through your slump with a masterpiece.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jigje For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds like you got an awesome ma, now go give her a BIG hug!! =)

the gestures definitely looks great on second and third page, because they show more confident strokes and by that i mean they aren't choppy strokes but rather simplification of the forms by observing the overall form compared to the first page of gestures where the strokes appear to be scratchy or etched out

number 9 on the second scan of gestures is my favorite because it has beautiful s curves and continuous strokes, very nice job on these!!

ooh excellent, really luv to see you doing the constructive anatomy and focusing on proportions, only note on the head in 3/4 quarters view, it helps to break the head into a box in perspective just to see if it fits in that box; if you try to draw a box in perspective you'll see where the foreshortening looks a bit off in that 3/4 quarters view head

keep them studies coming, i'm really liking this last batch definitely shows a higher level of approaching anatomy, great job =)

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

27. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I don't know specifically what is tormenting you, I do know that you certainly have nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to this sketchbook. You are producing, and to produce is to improve. Keep this going! Oh and thanks for the comments! Oh and also keep doing the studies! Especially the still life painting up there? Lookin' good!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to sketcheth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your question struck caught my attention:

at the point that I'm at now, is it better to churn out more quantity, or more quality? I have made a goal to churn out more figure studies and drawings monthly, but I'm wondering if all the focus on quantity will take a toll on quality? What is your experience?
    You definitely want to strike a balance while also taking into consideration that you are still at a beginner level (as am I). I would say that while striking a balance is key, you should lean a bit more to the quantity side for now. For instance, churn out loads of figure and gesture drawing, with an emphasis on getting them done fast. Then, as a balancing factor, take your time doing something like a master copy (a copy of a piece done by the Old Masters) or whatever you want to copy. Remember, quantitative changes eventually lead to qualitative changes. In the end, it is a numbers game. The more you put in, the better you get out.

Rock on dude!

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Peetaer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    grandmassa the master: hahah thanks man! the little things in life count

jige: thanks man It's not so much of an art slump, my life outside of art has changed a lot this summer, and I just wasn't ready to face it all. but your comment woke me up a bit, thanks man

snootchy: yeah, i did thanks! I'm happy to hear that my gestures are evolving a bit (though i am still ADD and not paying attention to each stroke and going back ot skittish lines at times >< ) Thanks for the tip too

sketcheth: Haha thanks life is just fkn crazy some days, isn't it? YES I need to do more still lifes!!! thanks for stoppin' by

Peetaer: I forgot about that question, thanks so much for answering! Your answer makes a lot of sense to me, so now I'm gonna make some plans based off your advice there, thanks!

__________________________________________________ _______

my ma and boyfriend and dwardo told me to stop drawing and take a break. so I did. I also went outside and meditated for a couple hours. i feel a bit better. my migraine is also almost gone. and I sort of just drew without thinking today just to get it out.

my gestures went back to being skittish D: wth. I will not do this anymore! no more crap lines!
    and the head...i dunno...giant baby face? i went outside the box
    and i realized i know less about perspective than i thot i did.... D:

tomorrow I will buckle down. EXPECT A HUGE DUMP >: D

oh, and a painting i started, but i totally see now what parts of the body I don't know, so before I paint over for the 23859237478947891234 timeeeee, I will do some hard core anatomy studies, then go back and fix the piece.

[CENTER]
    My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hala, happy 4th, glad you're feeling better!!

Great update the lines do look super nice, and nice long strokes to represent the form. It's not so much about having super clean lines but more so drawing with your arm rather than short flicks of the wrist, or at least that what my figure drawing teacher told me gestures were always a good exercise to loosen up the arm. But they're looking great and definitely a big improvement compared to the first page in your SB.

on that portrait with the perspective box, did you draw the box first then draw the face into it or afterwards? It looks like the box was drawn first and the reason i say that is because the facial features look like they are sitting on the same plane. Sorry to confuse you maybe the box was a bad idea but in Bridgemann's you can see great examples of the form in 3/4 view and profile and he breaks it down into the most geometric forms relating them to like wood carving posts.

Woh the last paint is awesome, especially the skin tones, i really like your choice of colors, it's definitely awesome to look at but you're right about proportions and stiffness. I think you should employ some of the gestural lines when initially starting off the pose to indicate some kind of movement and rhythm throughout the body as the woman is on the swing set.

Can't wait for the batch dump!! big *wave* from NJ, hehe =)

oh yea i also replied in the lounge to the sketchgroup thing in NJ but I think it's dead, mang where all the juhzey artists at?!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see major wrongness in the boobs? This drawing could be a great improvement landmark, you know. Do the hand studies and all else you need to overcome your obstacles and then try to draw this figure again in the future from memory and compare.

I noticed you berate yourself if you just do a couple studies in a day. Is it helping pushing you further? When I do that I just feel lame and give up.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is some incredible stuff in here, and awesome progression in only 4 pages! Jeez I haven't improved that much in 4years!
    There has been some great advice dished out as well, so kudos to everyone!

I'd love to add something constructive, but I think everything that could be said has been, so just keep up the good work I guess.
    Peace

37. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DDDDAAAAAAMMMMMNNNN this update ROCKS! the last guy before yer paint'n is HOT' umm yeah RAD an the paint is waaaayyy COOL and i laughed hella hard at yer notes CONCLUSION you can draw boobs an i think there are a ton of great things about it something i do alot even when drawing girls is look at my own arm or hand or knee cause i often forget things' like what they really look like (kneecaps especially ..i never rember witch way the muscles from the thigh conect sos i check haha)

39. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whatever your doing, keep doing it.
    -Your figures are coming along sweet. I'm sure it's from all your gestures/poses and other studies. People watching or a movie in mute perhaps.
    -Your colour works [from my noob eyes] are looking nice also.
    [Your toe nail needs a bit of a trim.] teeheee

mwah mwah

41. The Following User Says Thank You to vardoburrito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snootchy: Thanks! how was your holiday? hahah *waves*!!! Yeah, i totally understand about the arm vs. wrist thing. I think part of my problem is I'm working in a small sketchbook. I need to pull out my 18 x 24 pad and start using the arm again! haha and with the box, I had looked at bridgman's box before (i iddn't post that study here, it failed so hard ), but with that face I had started with the box first, then the face, then added the box again...and before i knew it, it developed way out of the box >< And the funny thing is with that painting, I started off with a very gestural sketch, just to experiment, in the end I changed it so many times I lost sight of the gesture, and like you said, it shows XD The NJ ppl are hiding. They know we're here and they're afraid of us snootchy LOL

leonor: Oh yes, I totally need to get into some hand studies. This is true. Negativity is never good. I think for me I do it because I'm afraid of being lazy and missing out on this stuff that I should have been doing years ago. But you're right. It's time for a better perspective

danlambert: Thanks! Well I'm glad to hear that, and yes, you guys here on CA are so helpful! ^^ thanks for stopping by!

grandmasssaaaa: Thanks! hahaha lol which guy? the one sitting down? XD it's true tho! I can only draw boobs convincingly (tho still not that well) yes, you're right to, your body is your best ref, I just keep forgetting to look! D:

dwardo: haha thanks dwardooo! People watching--yes. I do this proffessionally OMG u noticed my toenails D: i drew them and was like "shit i really need to trim 'dem", and then forgot xx too busy drawing ;p can't be bothered to trim XD ew lol just kidding

Didn't get as much done today as I wanted to...things never go according to plan x_______X but eventually when things settle down, i'll get a big ass dump on here. I'm happy with what i got today though. I sat down with bridgman again, and this time I felt like i understood it a bit more. So here are some bridgman and loomis studies, mixed with a bit of my own interpretations of them. and some other junk

what are good items to paint in still lifes?

sorry for the crappy photographs

[CENTER]
    My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woh, can't believe the amount of improvement just in this last batch, definitely a level up in these last few sketches, proportions are looking better as well as the lines, looks like the migraine is far far away hopefully!! I like the 4 legs study the best, it's great to see the variation and also really dig the hatching on the first scan, it' looking a lot better; fuhreakin suhweet job miss Hala!! Keep up the goodness!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

44. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like yer demon pic alot' an yer studies are look'n like yer on a mission to ROCK ' the world' an yes'em i ment the guy sitting down ... what kinda stuff do you have the most fun drawing?

46. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You really are imporving so fast, you should be proud!

Great sketches (look you can draw boobs!) And the Bridgmen studies are awesome! Really solid studies those.

And I think most items are good to paint in still liefs. You know what I paint, but there kinda boring. The most important things to chose are objects with varying texture, colour and sometimes light. So a red candle with a white cloth or something.

And make sure you set up a good light source too.

Looking forward to seeing more Hala, and thanks for dropping by my sb again!

Cheers,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

48. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snootchy: Thanks! Lol "level up" makes me feel like I should be wearing upgraded armor or something with a +1 accuracy on my pencil. ahhh gamer days xP haha thanks!! Yes, the migraine is gone now

Grandmassa: Thankssssss hustler!! hmmm I dunno. I guess anything O.O hahaha

jailhouse: Thanks dude! hahaha (it's essential to draw boobs). Thanks for the tips! I definitely need to get better lighting in my room : ( I literally have on lamp and the computer light >< I'll keep that in mind!

hellfire: No problem, I hope it helps! thanks!!

didn't get much time to work today, and I have a job interview on the 9th ><

some quick anatomy paints...I don't feel comfortable paitning the figure, I've gotten so used to the feeling of my pencil, so i tried to paint from ref.
    And a quick thumbnail for an idea i have...but the colors aren't quite right yet.

too tired to photograph my sketchbook ;p

[CENTER]
    My Website

50. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please don't forget to be squinting while dropping visions.
    There's an undertone in a couple of pieces that are heavy. All the love girl.
    Use that same energy to release it and learn from.

mwah mwah

52. The Following User Says Thank You to vardoburrito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think your eye is just developing at freakishly fast rate for proportions and pose, man i can't even imagine to think what'll be a month later!! As for the colors in the third one, i really like it, reminds me of a Frazetta color scheme!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

54. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    white'tY tight'ES ROCK! but i perfer boxers these are MADD RADD o' an good luck w/ the interview just give some dat HALA CHARM an yer in like FLIN'

56. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.