Sketchbook: JULY 1 --The Hermit starts again! - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooh awesome updates you're progressing really well... hogarth is totally indispensable when it comes to learning how to draw heads... was really eye-opening when I first stumbled on him too haha. congrats on the scholarship! eta: and congrats on page three!

Last edited by papervampire; June 24th, 2009 at 04:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to papervampire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great update hala, really liking the quick gestures, looks like your paying more attention to the contours and less etched out then previous ones, also liking the attempt to work in color, keep the goodies coming!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

5. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I just saw in another thread that your going to the Tyler School of Art. I didn't know there was anyone on these boards who went there. I'm about an hour away from philadelphia and I was very close to going there, it was one of my final choices, but I ended up opting out and going up to new york. I hope your enjoying your time there and everything is going well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, what an amazing sketchbook! I'll keep an eye on you.

Insipiring.

Already In Progress
    Life Drawings
    -
    Sketchbook!

--Homies:
    -Kungfoowiz

Upcoming:
    Days Of Natur Morte

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleXdragoN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your gesture drawing is coming along nicely.. Now you just need to develop patience

Your hatching seems rushed, so maybe taking your time on it will pay

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Quike Garcia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    red: thanks! and I'm glad you feel inspired Figure studies are great!

twan: thanks! yes, he has no neck i need to learn how to draw necks on uber buff men xD Hahah and yes I think you're right about the eyes--definitely not the right size!

Grandmassa: Thanks man!! hahah keep it rocckkkkinnnN!!

papervampire: thanks so much! Hahah yes, hogarth! And thanks for the tip about HB pencils, I've been using that more now and trying to get my values mostly that , it's tough but good practice.

snootchy: thanks man, I do try to keep in mind what you told me about paying attention before putting a stroke down, and I finally feel like I'm able to break down the body better in the gesture sketches thanks!

Pyro: Well at least it's nice to know another person in the tri state area! Thanks for stopping by!

double: Oh wow >W< thanks! I feel very honored!

quikenobi: thanks! yes, I do. I rush a lot of things >< And that self portrait i will admit was very sloppy and rushed. I'm gonna try and put some more time and quality into my works now.

--------------------------------------------------------

woo, 3rd page, and I definitely did not expect this many people to crit and support me--you guys are awesome and inspiring!!

Didn't have much time today, migraine and taking care of my bro.
    I've been listening to what you guys are saying and have decided to get down and dirty with some serious quality studies. I might return to some of these studies because I'm not very satisfied with them.

and a WIP of my second newborn entry, my first was mega fail xx

the close up is a small sargent study

edit: ewwww why does my sargent study look like g.bush ? T___T

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by hala; June 25th, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
    "Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool update hala. I've seen 2 sp's from you, not sure if there are more. I like em and I reckon you should do a few but render them out more. I like coming to this s'book. See soon.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jigje For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo Hala, awesomeness, I really like the first study, i think the proportions and pose is done really well so great job on that, also the contour gestures are looking better and better! I think your capturing more of what the quick gestures are for, just help u loosen up, i mean for a 1 minute quick gesture sketch you're not going to end up with a masterpiece but just a few lines that you can walk away with that appeal.

as for the Sargent study, I don't think it's a bad attempt, I think before getting into values or any of that, try and lay down the line sketch fairly lightly, because when u go back into rendering the forms out with hatching, u don't want those lines to show through and appear more like a painting rendering where edges (not lines) define the form. Also a quick note on hatching, when you first start out, it really helps to stick with one direction before getting more crazy hatches going on, simplify as much as you can and then build up. I know this may sound weird but they tell you to hatch with the form but I think it gets really confusing and laying in the first hatch in same direction for a flat light value (for the first pass) actually helps a lot to see clearly what you're trying to accomplish in terms of value study when u get to rendering a sketch.

Hope this g'berish helps!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

17. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 888 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have a good eye for spatial relationships, but your line quality and confidence in the form is a wee bit skittish, confidence will come in time. You have talent, and it's apparent in your art, keep going you'll be great one day!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mike butkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WOWZERZ the last one looks like ssssssoo much FUN!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 794 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the Sargent study. For a crit, his face seems a bit asymmetrical (but I don't know what image you're working from, maybe that's in the original?).

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice work in here so far! I was the same way when I first got to art school; I had just realized that was what I wanted to do for a living, and I realized how little I actually knew!

I found this to be an advantage though. Because while I was working hard all through school to catch up, the people who were better were not improving very much at all, simply because they already thought they were good enough. Make sure you keep this healthy attitude of wanting to learn learn learn! And soon you will be top of the class!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sublimus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you already made a nice improvment ! Keep working at it ! do more of everything, especially life drawing and painting ! Keep it up

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jigje: thanks I definitely will be doing more sp's, I jut gotta really work into my schedule so they are not rushed and sloppy

snootchy: thanks man! though i still feel like that study needs work xP Should I be doing 1 min? all my gesture studies are 30 second studies o.O i'm thinking maybe that's why my lines quality sucks? What do you suggest?

mike: Thanks man! Yeah, I definitely need to work on that, that is a common crit I get on my works

Grandmassa: What's rockkkinnnnnn man?! Hahah thanks! I hope that piece turns out well

dierat: Yes, you're totally right, i went back in and made some corrections, but I'm gonna redo the study and try and get it symetrical, thanks for pointing that out!

sublimus: Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only person likethat, it gives me hope Haha yes, I've found quite a fewof my classmates apparently don't need artschool (fools), so I hope you're right! Thanks!

walid d: Thanks! Yes, I definitely need to do more!

-----------------------------------------------------

I am starting to miss Philly x.x I miss being able to get up in the morning and go to the PMA (big time art museum, like a Baby MET) at 9 am and stay there till 4:30 pm. I also miss life drawing x.x

sorry for the crappy update today. could not stay awake for anything x.x
    expect a shitton of gestures and a SP in the near future....

today's serving:
    -A WIP, personal piece trying to learn how to paint D:
    -crappy gestures, i usually do gestures when i first wake up. this time i waited till the afternoon and THEY SUCK.
    -hogarth studies, unfinished, will be doing more. I kept falling asleep

thanks a ton guys for all ur crits and help--it means a lot to me

gonna go to bed now before 2 am for the first time in a while ;p

[CENTER]
    My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! I think some referenced digital paintings will really help you develop your digital painting skills. You're studies are looking great though, they'll really help you improve Keep it up!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to jackpot_anjr90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy shit! ok what have you done with our old hala!! loving this last batch of goodies, i agree with jackpot anjr90 in that doing ref'd paints digitally will definitely help big time because as you select colors you'll see how it is affected in the hsb sliders (hue sat tone)

it's great to see process shots and i think even the bright yellow textures are great on the face, i think i always forget just how much texture exists on the skin, great job; as for colors i think using slightly more saturated colors will help

as for gestures, 30secs is great, i think the lines are getting better and better, definitely showing more confidence in the last gestures; practicing all different amount of times is great, starting with 30 secs and gradually work up the time in a sketch session so that you can decipher what is important to convey the figure in the alotted time

keep up the great work!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

32. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SHAZAM the colors and lighting ROCK!!!!THE MOOD SET IS WAY COOL an the studies are RAD'

34. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wow

wow! you sure are really good at drawing the human figure! how did you became that good? do you know a nice book that teaches it well?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to zanna92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi hala. nooooo, not a phail there. i like the gestures, the proportions do look good!

as for painting, i don't know if someone has already pointed you in the direction, but these two threads are pure gold: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76955

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107217

the peer project really made me start thinking about color in a much more logical and organized way! (not like it isn't still confusing)

i think on the painting the saturation on the legs and in other shadows is still really low, i think those areas should be much warmer, since the surrounding is really pinkish.

i like that painting with the dark, long armed things. i don't know what it is but it gives so much room for interpretation and has a strong expression.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to DigitallyDumbfounded For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,476 Times in 3,685 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see you using more colour and getting away from the mud. It makes such a difference. Nice studies as well.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ooh i just love the way you changed the horizon line in post #66!! it gives it a totally different feel, and i think that green goes well with the idea
    and i think since page 1, you're capturing waaay more better the feeling of the figure, making it more smooth and tidy also!

about the latest wip you're doing (ps. i'm glad you went before 2 in bed haha) i think the colours are great!! and the details in the hair-head are just wonderful so far!! also, the blue tone itself is fabulous!! works great with that purple

what can i say!?
    just keep at it~

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, in the page where you wrote "this all suck" ...if only i was able to draw what you did in those 2 pages! it wasnt an epic fail at all for me.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to zanna92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jackpot_anjr90: Thank you! I am definitely going to get down and dirty with some digital studies!

snootchy: I kidnapped her and beat her with a hogarth book and some paints!!! xD Thanks so much man! I have been watching Janaschi on live stream and the way she chooses colors, so I hope in time that will improve! thanks again !!

Grandmassa: hahah thanks man! i still don't rock as many AWESOME COLORS AS YOU!!!

zanna: thanks! I'm not that good tho ;p I have always drawn humans, but studying from real life and books (Burne Hogarth series, Bridgman series, and etc) are excellent to learn from. and zanna, just work very hard, and try and do as many gesture studies as you can!! you will get better, i promise
    They suck to me because I know I can still do better, and I can feel it in my hands and it just doesn't come out the way i plan xD

digitallydumbfounded: wow thanks so much for the links!! I was looking for the one thread but didnt know where to find it, so I appreciate it so much! Thank you too fro the crit, I'm gonna work on fixing up the legs then before I call it finished thank you so much again !

blackspot: hi black spot! ^^ Yes, I think when I use overlay color I tend to get lost in those muddy colors, it is something i need to work on desperately! thanks!

BlackDelphin: Thanks! I'm glad it seems effective, I am not very good with composition so I'm glad to hear that it is somewhat strong hehe thanks so much for taking a look! ^^

YOU GUYS ARE AWEEESOMMMEEEE
    ;^^; you guys are very encouraging and your crits are priceless--I finally feel like I'm moving forward and I couldn't have found that sense of direction without you awesome people!

Sorry for not posting yesterday--my head was not in the right place to be posting...I feel like that's the first mature decision i've made in a while--Don't post when aggro and angry. anyway

almost done with the last WIP---the anatomy SUCKS but I don't know if I have the inspiration still to go back and fix it.I'm kind of just happy I learned something about color and painting.

another WIP, and a couple studies for a full, non-speed painting.
    some sketches.
    sorry not self portraits i can't set up a mirror anywhere, kind of in cramped situation right now.

damn. i need to do some intense value studies. xx

[CENTER]
    My Website

46. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your figure work is getting better but you still seem to have a problem with proportions still. when you look at a figure note where things connect and measure the distance between it, for instance the shoulder to the elbow and where the hip may be in comparison to the elbow

watch the empty space around a figure also.

the girl/fairy's pose in the digital painting seems awkward, her legs are pressed somewhat too closely to her body.

good luck.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Troubadour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh great updates hala, totally digging the gesture and the speedy, especially the color palette in the speed paint; it's really great to see you doing all types of studies to determine strengths as well as weakness, keep at it!!

crit time, hehe (sorry if you get sick of me nagging about things just let me know, i don't know much just telling you what i see or opinions): i think it's great that you're studying the way she chooses color but i think it's more beneficial to review color theory and use that as a foundation; i mean you're already off to a great start in that you are working with colors and i think that's half the battle right there, (2 years ago i had no idea how the color wheel was setup or what complimentary colors were but as i learned it and applied some of it, some of it started to sink in and always in the back of my mind); as for jana's colors especially in her portraits i think the reason why the colors looks so rich is because color is relative and a more saturated lit color is placed next to a duller color relatively, she definitely knows or has the sick skills in understanding how light falls off as well as color, since we can not see color without light

this kind of goes back to my whole thing on colors, when you have an object and the light is absent on one of the planes you'll have dark black or very little color/light bouncing back into your retina, but a plane of that object that is lit is going to have it's base color bounce back into our eyes, how intense that color is depends on how strong the light source is and the color of the light source also affects the color; these are a just a few things i think that'll help greatly to have in the back of your mind when color picking since light is really the essence of our perception of color

k i'm confusing myself so i'll stop there, hopefully i didn't lose you after 'ooh great update hala', hehe!!

keep up the great work!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

50. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hala, Really impressed with your energy, you're really working hard. Keep it up!

52. The Following User Says Thank You to silent_k For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the two digi'z at the top have so much emotion ! really beautiful...

54. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Troubadour: thanks! yeah, the "fairy" painting, like i said, the anatomy sucks major b*llz. : S It is something I definitely need to work on, thank you for pointing that out, it prompted me to sit down and do some better studies to see where I am weakest and need to focus on I needed that guidance, so thanks!!

snootchy: lol man it's all good, you know I love your cirts/mini lessons/tutorials. they are goldennnn! My color theory class in uni this past semester was a nightmare. my teacher was very biased, and made us read all about color theory and everything that went into it, but we never applied it and he would fail you without helping to you to apply color theory to your work do you have any books you suggest? anything you got would be great! it really is time for me to start making those connections in my work!

silent_k: thanks man! CA has so much energy, it makes you never want to stop working xD

grandmassa: thanks man!!! I still need to work on my technique tho, otherwise my lack of skill distracts from the emotional aspect ><

small update for today...this is day 5 of my migraine and I can't see out of my right eye xx so my work has slowed down a little. I promise tomorrow I will kick it into full gear again and do some still lifes and a lot more work!

ref studies, and then tried to apply what i learned from my refs..ignore my hand writing, i write to myself but it's hardly legible ><

if anyone could do some red lines to show me where my weakest proportions are, that would be great. I think my biggest problem is making the model's unique proportions look convincing, I'm sure this just takes practice, but any help is appreciated tomorrow i will throw some women in there and start gesture drawings again.

also, how do you go about attacking the problem of confidence in linework? it something you guys point out a lot, and really want to work on that!

hope you are all well and motivated

[CENTER]
    My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey these are ROCK'N the ref guys kick @$$...

im not very good at being helpfull but a way i think you can create confedentlines is by haveing deferent ones ' keep the pencil in the air above the paper an run through it imaginary like. then when you put it down you have the idea of what its gunna look like.. an also by have'n hard an soft lines a shadowed edge of a torso against a white back ground chould have a really hard edge where the side w/ light could have a really soft or no line at all (but if the lit side was against a dark background that could be a hard edge)...hopes i made some kinda sence but your smart an already know what' cha do'n

57. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great update hala, the sketches are looking better, and it's great to see you making an effort or being conscious of proportions!! only thing that i see you kind of going back to is those short strokey lines, and i think it really helps once in a while to practice contour drawing or using longer strokes to describe a shape with fewer lines. i forget where i read or someone telling me that we perceive the curves in the body to be more curvy than it is in life because of preconceptions, when i took the constructive anatomy class, i remember seeing some drawings where people would just simplify the model whose bent over with a strong curve with 2 or 3 lines; but ended up with a pose that was fairly accurate to the model

i think it helps to simplify the overall big shapes and then refine from there, also what Mr. Spect had mentioned is also a great technique for getting more precision

I just went to borders or barnes and nobles and read up on color theory and read various stuff online; i don't remember particular ones but i think ron lemen has a great color theory tutorial here on CA in the learning section i'll try and find the link and send it to you

Oh also, a note on painting in colors, i think it helps to practice painting opaquely and doing solid block-ins, try to break down shapes into their most basic forms, you can always go back in to soften edges with a soft airbrush and also overlay texture

Glad to see you pushing it still, keep up the great work!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

59. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1