Sketchbook: JULY 1 --The Hermit starts again! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: JULY 1 --The Hermit starts again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yoo Hala wicked update digging the oils! As for your take on quantity over quality. I think it's more a matter of where you feel comfortable stopping or saying 'hey i'm happy with the way this looks and want to show it'

I'd focus on getting things accurate as possible and spending more time on observing, because it's like taking an exam u don't just glance over the material but you study it in depth. That kind of focus helps to store it in the memory file where as a quick glance just goes in one ear an out the other. I feel like when I try to focus on getting things more accurate I learn something new and I get that 'AHA!' moment if you know what I mean. I feel like this is the most rewarding part of art because you're always challenging yourself to learn something new, of course some days are better than others but the most important thing is to push yourself to be the best you can do!

That's not to say that quick gestural studies should be omitted. This is an important aspect for looking at the picture as a whole or figure for that matter and focusing on big shapes rather than detail. I think a fine balance of both is really important to grow. As for gestural drawing, I notice that you go over some lines that you don't like; rather than fiddle with a curve or line you don't like force urself to make a decision and stick with it or else you'll miss the big picture. Also the same with the take out box oil paint, it looks like the brush strokes are a bit overworked on the sides. If it's a flat block in just load your brush with a good amount of paint and lay a stroke down don't overwork it. Because the side of the box looks like it has texture on it, and that is going to confuse you when you go back into put the designs on the side. It's like if you were doing a speedpaint then your trying to focus on all things at once, like composition, color, tone, texture; but when doing an observational sketch try to simplify things and work from there to more complex.

Another point on the take out box oil paint is that, it does appear to be darker on the side facing us but it isn't, if I'm correct on the light source being up and facing toward the box on our point of view that cannot be darker than the left side. It appears that way at a glance but a good technique is to squint your eyes (your probably familiar with this) and let little light enter into your pupils so that you are only seeing abstract simple values without the lettering or cast shadows. Another note on color is that as more light is available hitting a surface it will expose more of the base color in terms of saturation and value all the way to the point where if it was extremely bright light you'd get almost white, but left side doesn't have as much light source so the color starts to lose saturation and retains a darker value. Also don't forget about bounce light, the green paper is going to bounce back some of the green onto the side walls of the box so slightly mixing (better not to mix thoroughly and let some of the paint mix on the canvas) so that you get the bounce light coming up from the green paper. That's the great thing about oils is that you can work wet into wet but requires a bit of prep as colors can mix on the canvas

As for picking colors, it's good to break it down systematically:
    1. decide what is the hue - red orange yellow green blue violet, in this case the box looks red orange (leaning more towards red so mix more parts of red into yellow)
    2. next decide how saturated it is - this goes back to what i was saying about determining saturation which is determined by the amount of light available on the surface it is hitting, in this instance the top of the box appears to be hit by the most light so it's gonna lose saturation because it's getting closer to white (which is the warmest of all the paints), so it's not super bright light but still hit with a lot of light so it's gonna be a less saturated or greyer version of red orange (if it was to be mixed straight out of the tube) so you would need to add a little black and white to the mixture to neutralize it or if you have a payne's grey you can add a dab of that to the red-orange color mix
    3. you need to determine value (this can be done before saturation, there's no hard rule just depends what your used to recognizing first) - so look at the paint u've mixed up so far and the color your trying to get and adjust the value accordingly

Here's a picture to visually demonstrate all that gibberish above, hehe; oh if you want me to remove the pic from ur SB just let me know and i'll take it off asap

hope this helps, sorry if this is redundant and stuff you already know; i could be really wrong about this stuff as well, since i only started painting about 3months ago

Here's a picture to visually demonstrate all that gibberish above, hehe!

keep at it cragee Hala!

ps are you chinese, i notice the Ai ya?!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

Last edited by snootchy; June 17th, 2009 at 09:37 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jailhouse-thanks! Hmm, that sounds like a solid plan. And thanks for the tip about the thickness of the paint. Thanks for always taking some time to view my sketchbook too

Snootchy-- Wow that's an epic post! Thank you so much! (I don't mind the pic in my sb at all, It will help me and I'm sure it will help others as well.

The color chart thing was especially helpful. I was trying to mix the yellow and the red to get the hue right, but I didn't add the neutral you were talking about. We did color theory so many times in school, but I totally missed that neutral, so thank you for pointing me in the right direction!!

Also the reflective color of the green--i didn't notice that till you pointed it out. I know my values of the sides of the box are wrong--I will correct them now that I know how to make the hue right

The perspective thing helped too, I am painting at a different level than the one in my photograph, but none the less i was getting terribly frustrated with that highest point there. How did you determine where that point goes in space?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me too, I appreciate it so much ^^

PS: Lol I'm not Asian actually, but I studied mandarin chinese for 5 years (THOUGH I STILL CAN"T HOLD A CONVERSATION WELL T_T), went to a chinese sunday school, and my boyfriend is full blooded chinese, so he talks to me in Chinese and "ai ya" has just become habit. xD Half of my family is ukrainian, the other half is a euro mix XD

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahah that's so funny cuz i took mandarin for 2 years in high school and 1 year of college and the only thing i know how to say is 'ni hao' and 'ni hen ben' hahaha! How ironic cuz i was dating a chinese girl at the time but I'm Korean but pretty much consider myself American cuz I was born and raised in Jersey my whole life sad...sigh

As for discovering vanishing points, I just randomly picked because the shot u took it from which was above which looks like 3point perspective to me, if you take a look at the sides of the box and extrude the lines all the way out into space until they converge that's how you get the vanishing points. I was lazy and estimated and it was really off but the perspective concept is there. Just to see for yourself, you can take the picture into photoshop, shrink the image and use the line tool to make lines all the way out until the lines converge. I think things that throw people off in using perspective grids is confusing parallel lines for converging lines that vanish to a point. It's a little confusing and hard for me to explain but parallel lines exist on a plane of the converging line and never meet, k I'm confusing myself now but kind of the idea

looking forward to seeing that study completed!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Last edited by snootchy; June 17th, 2009 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for the double post but i just realized what i did in the perspective was wrong that's only if u have a square, it's really not 3 point i guess to some extent because the bottom part of a take out box is tapered in so really that bottom part of the box should be tapered in more

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooooooo
    [*starts taking notes. thank you snootchy. ]
    *adds snootchy and hala to the smart list.

I say both. Quality and quantity. There's no two ways about it. They both couple each other nicely.
    If I can apply my anatomy studies to a blob of spilled milk. *takes picture and be able to render out a figure out if it .... then ....a yea... what was writing about?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WOW' WICKED'' STUDIES AN PAINTS' i really dig' the red and the purple digi in post 25 an' the last studies in #18 an' the second to last in #5 but they all RRRRRRRRROOOOOOCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!! keep up the GOODS' cause ya ROCK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, more great studies! keep practicin'!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great SB!! I think you may need to work on your line confidence and solidity.. apart from that, just keep working as now

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snootchy: LOL! Ni haooo maaa? hahah oh Jersey, no other place quite like it ;p
    Lol and that is exactly what confuses me about perspective.
    And know what? I'm stupid, because I was using alizerian crimson, and I don't have a cadmium red That's ok, your chart was helpful anyway, I'm thinking of doing the study again in acrylic, this way I can get the right colors

Dwardo: you are on the awesome list!!!! Lol sometimes man I think you need more sleep BUT NOT BEFORE YOU WORK ON YOUR NEWBORN ENTRY. NAO!

Grandmassa : Thanks man!!! Hahaha Grandmassa you kick ass !

Paper Vampire: Thanks!

Quikenobi: Oooo good adivce, thanks!

Ok, not much of an update--haven't had a chance to get to the scanner yet xx

buttttt
    I've been using hogarth's dynamic light and shade book
    and this is one of the practices he suggests -- make a figure, make a silhouette, and pick a solid light source....etc etc

I actually feel like I progressed with the silhouette study, I don't know. Crits pleaseee
    and here is the finished still life, even though I messed up the colors because I'm too dumb to realize I don't have the right set of oils *facepalm*

Hopefully i can use the scanner tomorrow

sorry for the small update :/

Attached Images Attached Images    

[CENTER]
    My Website

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook
    Keep studying
    Till next time -Omerta

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha jersey yea if your looking for a quick fix then u come to the right place hehe!!!!

Sorry a little buzzed but my only crit with take out box is that the dark facing us which is exposed more towards the light source should be lighter than the side that the cast shadow is in, plus if you have aliz crimson that' s alright most important thing is to get the value right, like if you make a black an white sketch it can be realistic but a color sketch still requires you to be knowledgeable of value, so it is important to work or understand how light falls off or hits and object before going into color. In terms of right set of oils I don't think there is a right set of oils if you get tonal structure to work out

The silhouettes are looking nice and I think it's a great exercise to think about overall mass or shape, keep at it; plus identify i light source it's important to understand how light is falling off the shape in order to render effectively; that's y i think cast drawing is really a fundamental of understanding how light falls off an object, i'm also weak in this area as i have never finished or really intensively worked on a cast but i think you have a great eye for observing and would be great to see you do an indepth study of light hitting and object

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

14. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HEY thats a COOL IDEA'' shift'n the light around for a study... i gotta try it and now i want takeout /takeaway

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omerta: Thanks!!

Snootchy: yeah, you're totally right. my values are still way way wya off. Well i'm gonna try again!! And keep practicing what oyu tell me about really paying attention to the object before putting a mark down. I get really hasty with my lines. xx need to stop that habit.

Grandmassa: do it! i feel like it helps a lot!

Ok, I FINALLY feel like i'm getting into the groove of this sketchbook thing. I made a sketchbook for my how to make a sketchbook tutorial (link in my sig), and now it feels right. my other sketchbook just didn't feel right. I'd just sit there and try and draw and get frustrated..dunno. weird. maybe i'm the only one that has to have just the right sketchbook to be able to draw smoothly? i dunno.
    i just took the old sketchbook apart and made this one.

gestures, hogarth, and a really really shitty self portrait.
    I have those ukrainian cheeks x__x
    oh, and more light studies becuase i fkn LOVE THEM.
    wooo excuse my language. I'm trying to quit cursing this summer...I curse more than a drunken sailor.

[CENTER]
    My Website

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing great on the studies, keep it up.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to FightingSeraph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome update! I think it's important to feel comfortable and it can be something as trivial as a sketchbook or even the type of material you use. I think the light studies are coming a long great and it'll only be a matter of time, are you using ref's? If not I'd recommend ref'ing things so that you get as much practice on how light behaves in real life, I'll be doing the same since it's something that can help greatly in terms of rendering forms. Loving the self port, and the beautiful face is showing through the sketch great job on that plus i'm digging the hatching, it's messy but there's a lot of energy in it.

Hatching (i'm really beginner to hatching but...) has a bit of structure into how to hatch effectively. After completing the sketch/proportions along with soft lines to indicate the core shadows, bounce light, mid tones, and highlights. Then block in with even hatch across the whole subject (the reason for this is because when you think about painting or objects in real life, the color white doesn't really exist unless you have a light source that is pure white, so almost everything has some value even it's only a little bit) and then use the same directional hatching to go back into the shadows, midtones, and core shadows relatively making the values relative to one another. I remember a drawing teacher once explained to me that when you change the direction of the hatching your representing a new plane, this is another approach to hatching and I never got this and still don't. I think the most important thing is to have great value structure and even if the hatch isn't cohesive as long as the value works the sketch will still work. I think it works in your portrait since you the values a relatively placed in the appropriate spots, so big kudos to you!

Y limit ur vocabulary, it's ur first amendment right to say things you want even if it's profanity, so i say keep f#*!ng rockin on!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KILLER' update i really like the lil' ''WTF IS THIS '' ssoooooo cute! an' WOW yer HOT' (ment in a none CREEPYCREEPERSON pickup line sorta' way) i think make'n yer own sketchbook helps to personalize it an makes it more apart of the art way cool...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you're really churning out poses here! You are an example to me, I should really work on more studies. The profile and lighting studies you do must be really useful in learning about figure.

By the by, I really love the colours on the last (purple) drawing of your June 15th post!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Maija For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good SB you got here, with lots of studies already! Don't forget to implement it, would love to see some own drawings from the good ol' imagination. Keep it up!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom van der Linden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, great figurative work so far! I recognize some of Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing in post #25 ^^

For the little red box painting, perhaps it would save you time to do some color swatches before the actual painting. Mix up your color, paint them onto a strip of white paper, then hold the paper up in front of you and see how close it is the local color of the object (if you're painting from life; if you're painting from a photo then just set your swatch next to the photo and compare). In general I feel the color you used was too dark and too saturated compared to the photo. Objects in real life tend to be far more neutral than we realize. Your red box is actually very orange. It probably seems very red to you because it's sitting on a green surface, but in comparison to your painting, the yellow of the box is evident.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey awesome work! the poses with different light sources are really cool, looks like a lot of fun, and the sp ain't bad by any means! it looks like you're using a darkish pencil for hatching, maybe try a simple HB, you should be able to get all the values that way. and just try to identify different planes and hatch in the direction of the plane... but I think you've got the idea! the painting is pretty sweet!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to papervampire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fightingseraph: thanks

snootchy: thanks man I do not use a ref, since the goal of the excersize is to learn to create light on your own in a convincing way---but I do need to get my hands on some casts and start studying light outside of these exercises. In my next update though I used a ref for the anatomy. And thank you, I forgot about the technical aspect of hatching.

Grandmassa: lol thanks! hahahah it's ok, i get that from my bf's friends too xD haha maybe i will redraw the wtf thing then and make it an actual thing xD

Maija: Thanks I feel honored to be an example because there are truly some better ones int his forum

Tom: Thanks man, I will try to upload some more of my independent stuff---I usually never feel good about a piece to post it but hey, it's a SB thread for a reason

dierat: Yeh, well it doesn't help i was using alizerian, so when mixed with the yellow it came out brown instead of orange : / i do plan to redo it in acryic and correct the colors, as well ast he values Thanks!

papervampire: thanks for the advice! I will try using HB from now on and try to pick up oin that relationship between the planes of the face and the hatching.

Well, sorry for the late, and crappy, update. Yesterday was out of the house the whole day, and today just kept going downhill. I feel a wave of depression coming on and I'm trying to fight it off--does bad things for my art x.x
    I covered up the self portrait because it is so horrible I"m ashamed to even show it--i really just need to crank out some more and pay attention to things---i just don't know where to really start when drawing a face--any advice?

ai ya excuse the bitter mood today--think motivation!

oh and now you get to see how terribly amateur I am with environments and thumbnailing ;p these are just sketches trying to get this one idea i've had for a while down.....

[CENTER]
    My Website

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ello' again,

Love the recent updates Hala! I think the takeaway box turned out really well!

And these silhouettes/lighjt studies are awesome too! Great to see! And I'm pleased your onto Hogarth as well!

And this one - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1245728241-= !

Keep at it girl!
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

35. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    supsup hala, sorry to hear the depression kicking in, the weather ain't helping either i bet, but hope things get better!

great update, i'm liking the variety and that you're challenging yourself to think in different ways, I can definitely relate and my mind is all over the place, as for thumbnail'ng you should definitely check out feng zhu (i think i'd sell my kidney to attend his school of design out in singapore, hehe) or syd mead, they are just too f*#(ng awesome and i think they have tutorials over at g_nomon

I really like the horned girl sketch, there's good rhythm and foreshortening going on in the pose to make it interesting!

Hala: i just don't know where to really start when drawing a face--any advice?
    i always felt starting with the big shape is the most important, so finding a center line and the width (usually 5 eyes across) and relative length is a good point to start but not hardset rule

mouth starts at about a little under 1/3 the distance between the nose and the chin

the placement of the eyes are generally, inner eye starts where the outer nose begins, the outermost portion of the lips starts halfway into the eye, the length of the ears are generally between the eye and the bottom of the nose

the angle of the head in terms of facing down or up can be figured out by looking at the placement of the ears, if the head is facing down the top of the ear will generally be a bit above the eye and if it's facing up the top of the ear will be below the eye

don't forget also to practice contour drawing as well, that way it'll help build confidence in your strokes

keep up the great studies!!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Last edited by snootchy; June 23rd, 2009 at 02:41 AM.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the 'WAY TO FLAT ' one is WHERE ITS AT' an COOL THUMBS' an the guy sitting next to them is WICKED' an you RRRRRRRRRRROOOOOCCCCKKKKKKKK'

39. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sb, shows so much dedication. ... sketches and poses are kicking all kinds of m@sses.

Last edited by strings; June 23rd, 2009 at 12:18 PM.
    Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to strings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful updates I really like the self portrait ( I don't agree about the cheekbones)
    but this one http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1245728241 is really solid love it

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Quike Garcia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jailhouseeeee: hahah thanks man! Hogarth is the man, I so wish I knew about Hogarth and Bridgman way earlier in my life xD, i;m glad you like the horned girl too! thanks so much for looking!

Snootchyyyy: Thanks! I'm definitely gonna find some time this week to sit down and do a long self portrait with your advice in mind. And thanks for the links man! I had been on feng zhu's page a couple weeks ago but didn't see the workshops and stuff on the other site. I'm def. gonna indulge in some serious environment tutorials

Grandmasssaa: yeah man! thanks!! Hahaha I'm glad you like them!!

strings: Thanks, i'm glad!! I know i have a long way to go still, but that encouragement helps a lot!

Quikenobi: Thanks man! Hahaha, what you don't agree with the ukranian cheeks? Lol my self portrait doesn't look too much like me, but I def. got puffy cheeks xD and i'm glad you like that piece! thanks !

Whew, so yesterday, i found out i won a scholarship i applied for, and they gave me more money then the original amount was supposed to be! : D So i'm feeeling elated that there's a couple hundred dollars off my tuition costs ^^ I've also been able to get outside to excersize and go for walks---It has a massive effect on my mood and my art--I think you can tell xD

So here's a big dump because my bf was sleeping this morning so Id idn't get to talk to him, so i looked around, and suddenly something clicked and I cranked out a bunch of pieces that I'm not too ashamed of. I still need a TON of work, but I feel like i'm on a new wave of motivation.

And my self portrait is a bit lame and lopsided, but i will work on that and keep trying to get the hatching to match the planes of the face.

[CENTER]
    My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much figure drawing! That stuff is really going to pay off Inspired me to go do some..

<_< >_> -----> Sketchbook

46. The Following User Says Thank You to RedSquirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the illustation with the blue guy is brillant! ( But the blue guy has no neck, It's strange)
    The figure drawings are good, keep draw
    In the last portraits may be the eyes are too big

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Twan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW the orange girl at the top is MEGA AWSOME DYNAMIC' an way ta go on yer scholarship !!!

50. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5