Thread: Recycling?

Thanks

Lightbulb Recycling?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone here recycles or has some sort of recycling set-up in their studio (or at home, or wherever your studio is) for discarded papers/sketches/whatever. While re-arranging my studio space, I was watching a bit of Green TV, and felt inspired. I figure as an art student and potential artist, I go through quite a bit of papers (assuming I'm going the traditional route vs. digital), so it might be something worth doing. And, seeing as most of us are pretty hands on and crafty types, I was wondering if anyone built anything themselves, such as a steampunk recycling bin or even go as far as to break down the old paper and use it to make new paper/shipping material/whatever (I did an old science fair project in like the 4th grade along those lines). I'm gonna try and figure out a way to set up my space, but any advice, input, or even examples would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to post pictures if you've got them, or if you think its a pretty cool idea, feel free to throw down and share what you make/do. Thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I honestly don't use a lot of paper these days in my work, except for my sketchbooks, which don't get recycled because I keep them. Most of my work is digital, but I do do some oil painting.

With oil painting, I find myself using a lot of toxic substances. I would like to know if anyone would have tips for noobish painters like myself on improving the traditional oil painting workflow for less waste and pollution.

One tip I've seen so far is: With jars of turpentine or whatever solvent, eventually the dissolved pigment will settle on the bottom of the jar. You can then strain the turpentine (with cheesecloth I think?) into a different jar and get a little more use out of it... and you can then clean the jar and reuse that later on too.
    MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ookchk View Post
    One tip I've seen so far is: With jars of turpentine or whatever solvent, eventually the dissolved pigment will settle on the bottom of the jar. You can then strain the turpentine (with cheesecloth I think?) into a different jar and get a little more use out of it... and you can then clean the jar and reuse that later on too.
    This works great with mineral spirits or OMS like Turpenoid/Gamsol. The solids settle out in a few days and you can pour the cleared solvent right off, no straining necessary. You can do this a few times before there's too much oil etc. in the mix. This doesn't work with genuine turpentine, as the solids don't settle out as cleanly, and turpentine should always be used fresh. It degrades (gets smelly and sticky) with exposure to light and air.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    I do something that is a bit of an inverse of that. I clean my oil painting brushes in linseed oil and then when the oil gets a ton of pigment in the bottom I shake it up and use it as the oil component of egg-oil emulsion primer. It tends to be streaky looking rather than solid gray, but other than that it looks like a neutral gray primer (in terms of value) and feels really good to paint on. I figured why should I pay money for powdered white pigment and have to use a respirator when I have some other pigment that is emulsified that I would be throwing away. The neutral value is kind of a bonus.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I save scrap paper for wiping ink & watercolor brushes... old cut-up T shirts also work well for that. I have also on occasion made my own paper out of ground up scrap... and I save wrapping paper and such for decoupage.

Sorry - I have not yet built a steam powered paper shredder.
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Our household is big on the "Re": Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Even holds in my dungeon aka, the studio.

ETA: Found some links via google (eco friendly art supplies; environmentally friendly....):

http://www.blogher.com/earth-friendl...posal-solvents
    http://aleasemichelle.typepad.com/my...ompanies-.html

Also, Dick Blick carries quite a few eco-friendly supplies.
    Last edited by smugbug; June 3rd, 2009 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,279 Times in 625 Posts
    my brushes are made from baby seal whiskers, and my black ink is dick cheney's saliva.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I do my part, I've developed a system where I continuously eat my poop so I don't produce any waste or waste water by flushing the toilet. I think I've been technically eating the same food for like 2 weeks
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    @Straight Edge Ryan: shows me hao you has great successes, plz?
    MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

Thanks
    Yep, I have a bucket of chicken bones, bits of wire, all sorts of dead electronic components. Still figuring out designs.