Art: paint style concept art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: paint style concept art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

paint style concept art

well I've been trying to improve my art by working in a more painterly colour style (for those who havn't seen my work before it is primarily greyscale pencil shading or ink work). But I'm finding this technique doesn't come naturally for me and without a solid traditional painting background alot of this stuff is guess work.

This is where you guys come in (I hope) can some of the more experienced painters illustraters here give me some pointers on how you think I can improve. I want to move towards losing the linework completely (or at least not using it as a crutch) and actually paint the piece from the sketch, but am not really confident enough for that yet.

here is my latest attempt

which I did as a follow up to my first try tenebris

As always any help is greatly appreciated (even if it is just what you do or don't like about the piece, style character etc.)

Thanks

Lee Smith

deviantART: leesmith.deviantart.com
    Sketchbook: Leevolution
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are in the same boat I put myself in, and I am trying to lose the line art "crutch." The only thing I can say is to paint everything. Basically, I am starting from scratch all over again, and it is very tough, because I get frustrated real easy, I overwork my peices, and I never can settle on an image and see it through.

I probably got about 20 or so WIPs, and maybe, 1-5 finished pieces I actually say, "...okay, I'm done and will put this away now." This is my biggest problem, and this is mainly because I don't dedicate myself to finish pieces with the look I want.

I am grabbing magazines from the office and learning to paint the photos, and I want to start using more brush and inks to gain confidence in my strokes.

Good luck on your tough journey, sir!

i actually got paid to create a 3d model of human poo once. well actualy, i am on my (t)3rd (lol, i kill myself...) iteration, so like i got paid 3x. I should just go ahead and create some reference. this itshay is kiling me...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I figured since I do allot of line art and want to merge painting with line art I'd respond. Many people will tell you you can't use painted rendering with line art. I personally think thats crap and it can and has been done with a very cool look. Look at European comics, some of which are in Heavy Metal here and there. They use line art with painterly rendering all the time. I was painting before I did line art and just naturally moved towards line art in college. I did allot of oils and watercolor in college. Now that I'm in the game industry I do allot of digital stuff and for speeds sake I do line art concepts, I want to merge painting and line art. It isn't easy.

Right now what I see in your 2 pieces is the painterly areas are mainly just in the background and you are using them mostly as aditional background texture. I don't think your values in your figures are being pushed enough. There is no clear light source. It also depends on how much you are willing to "lose" the line and let value take over.

The face on the girl is the weakest part of the piece. I really like your style, but it seems like you need to work on faces. The color could be better but since I'm not the best with color I'll let others help you out there. Her design could be more original and interesting. The male figure in the other piece is much more interesting design wise. His lighting and colors are better as well. The girls skin looks muddy or dead. There could be more color variety within each material as well. Like in the skin tone/s, the metal, leather.

Overall I really like where you are going. Just keep at it and don't let a lack of posts or positive feedback get you down. I really fight that. I think that most of the art forums are really bias towards line art. It gets ignored allot while even poor paintings get lots of praise. Just my opinion. And what you are trying to do gets even more criticism. It isn't "anime" or a digital loose "painting", but rather somewhere inbetween. People don't know how to view it. Again, this is all just my opinion. I don't want to piss anyone off. I'm just making an observation.

Hedrus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

i like the large area inbetween anime and .. traditional arts (i guess good art? is that fair to say? hmm.)
    i also have a thing for disney rejects .. im a freak.

i am also trying to get a more professional feel to my digital paintings - its tough, i think the answer is the one you dont wanna hear. its gonna take extreme effort thats all.

1.) take the sketch to a light table and do a highquality sketch - thinking ahead, prepare it for a digital paint job - and go light.

-or-

2.) take your time and paint over the sketch via software opaquely. cover every inch of the sketch. doing this you need to give it a couple days work - like 40 - 50 hours if you want it as good as i think you want it. this will be the best result, you have to have the patience of an artist i guess.

-killing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HEDRUS: thanks for the compliments and encouragement. After getting quite a few positive comments on other forums about the look and style of the lines combined with the painting I have decided to try and push in this direction.

Like you said I think that the combination of line and a more painterly feel can work together it just requires finding that right balance between the two.

I can see your point about the light sources, an area that has never been my strongpoint, but I will endeavour to improve. I will try and push the contrast a bit in the next one to create a more dramatic effect.

Faces, yeah I agree, yet another area I can use some help in. Because of my lack of confidence in defining the facial features I usually tend to slip back into showing less features and detail which unfortunately give a more anime look than I would like. Again, I will give it some work

Once again, thanks for the feedback. I must say both of these were done with a mouse, so the time it took and the frustration of working with such an akward device was discouraging. I have a Wacom on the way though, so I am hoping when I get my hands on that I will be able to push alot further on an image before letting the frustration get to me

KILLING.PEOPLE: Thanks for the suggestions, I will give it a go, but I don't know how well my patience would hold out. I may have to wait for my tablet before attempting anything on that scale

Lee Smith

deviantART: leesmith.deviantart.com
    Sketchbook: Leevolution

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.