Transparent white
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Transparent white

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Transparent white

I saw at the art store that Windsor Newton makes a white called transparent white. Has anyone heard or tried it? Will it not produce that nasty bluish hue when scumbling over a dark area?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I asume for the name that is more transparent (?)

Buy it and test it! (In the US all about art is cheap)

"The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has."

My BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never heard of that white before.

You could always add a little burnt umber to stop the hue shifting into blue. It's a semi-transparent pigment so I should think the transparency of the white would not be effected too much.

Last edited by B u r l; June 2nd, 2009 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't use their transparent white. It's designed as a mixed white of titanium and zinc, but it's vehicle is safflower oil instead of their "underpainting" white which is also mixed but uses linseed oil. The transparent white is designed to be used in upper layers for tinting purposes. It's more transparent than regular titanum but stronger and more opaque than zinc by itself. Safflower dries more slowly and makes a softer film compared to linseed oil.

David B. Clemons
    Website
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whats unbleached white?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was able to find very little information about unbleached titanium on the intarwebs. I have a tube of it, it's a nice creamy beige color and is not much more transparent than regular titanium, however it doesn't turn cold like titanium when layered on top of darks. I often use it in complete replacement of white.

What I was able to find: some companies make unbleached titanium out of titanium and brown pigments, some other companies do it by heating titanium. And some call it Titan buff. From wetcanvas:

Re: Buff or unbleached titanium?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ummm, yes there is such a pigment. For instance see this quote from handprint.com

"… buff titanium white is made from titanium pigment heated to high temperatures with a larger pigment particle size; this shifts the color toward a grayed, pale coffee brown, making it a good pigment to lighten and desaturate greens or blues, for example, to render gray desert foliage…"

It is still classed as PW6, but it is a pigment of itself and not a convenience mixture. Also, here is the Golden Acrylic color with the pigment classed as PW 6:
    http://www.goldenpaints.com/products...1370infopg.php

My Grumbacher Pre-Tested Unbleached Titanium lists two pigments, Titanium Dioxide PW6 and Zinc Oxide PW4. And it is definitely not white, nor would a tint a raw sienna approximate it. I have never used a convenience mixture which truly replaces the color it is imitating. Unbleached Titanium is a very unique hue that I would highly recommend you try out

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so who manufactures unbleached white?

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by andymania View Post
    Will it not produce that nasty bluish hue when scumbling over a dark area?
    ALL semiopaque lighter colors over a darker ground will shift towards blue and loose chroma to some degree, just as a transparent layer over a lighter ground will tend to shift warm and more chromatic. It's only "nasty" if you don't understand/can't control what's going on. Many people find the "optical grays" that result from scumbling exceptionally beautiful, especially for depicting pale flesh and atmosphere. When scumbling, you have to take the optical effects into account. If you want to cool and neutralize as well as lighten, you're all set. If you don't want to, then you're going to have to scumble with a color that's warmer and more chromatic than your final target. There's nothing magical about unbleached titanium, it's just a light buff color, and, as Qitsune noted, is usually a mixture.

Last edited by Elwell; June 3rd, 2009 at 05:15 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok i see. I will mess around with warm color scumbling.

Members who have read this thread: 1