winter war - it still needs something..

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow winter war - it still needs something..

Hey,
    Long time since I last posted but I need some advice again. I don't feel it's worth throwing in finished section as I'm newb and I have concerned about it being finished.

This time i felt like throwing some snow under summer's legs.
    Initially it started as some mech speedpaint and it transformed into battle scene.
    Problem is I don't quite know if I should push the detailing further on what I already have and perhaps do something about colors present OR should i add some more action, dynamic and dramatism to this pic? Maybe leave it alone, because it's already too much/hopeless? I'd be happy to hear what do you think about it, enjoy!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by voxmortem; June 1st, 2009 at 05:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i liked the first version better :s

your front figure suffers from bad skintone and wonky perspective

the staging is quite boring, imagine being a filmmaker and you have to choose the best possible angle to point your camera to. in this setting, i'd lower the camera a bunch, trying to give the viewer the feeling as if actually present in the scene. dunno if this makes sense to you

there's stuff to be said about detailing and color use as well, but the above seemed more fundamental to the image

hope this helps, have fun!

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it needs more value

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nicehighs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you Hyver and nicehighs for quick replies,
    I don't think I'll be able to change perspective as much as it should go but I've never thought of it from filmmakers point of view.. That makes much sense now, when I look at it. I'll try to rework it towards more dramatic "camera view" and experiment with value giving more contrast. I've looked up some mountain scenery photos and now I see I made it all wrong.. Bad habit not to consult references when drawing something totally new.

Thank you very much for your help, I'll try to throw some progress tomorrow after I finish tutorials in college

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MAN!!!! Always use reference for new subjects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The design of the characters are interesting. I think you could add much more action to the scene, though; it's rather empty and doesn't feel like a huge war, but a small skirmish. You can accomplish this relatively easily by adding lots of planes to the sky or lots more explosions on the ground if you like, but it'd be much more interesting if you put more soldiers and lots of mechs, with depth utilized. The way the center mech is very centered also hurts the composition, and the way the perspective is set up makes me itch to pan the camera to the right or extending the shot that way to compensate.
    Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tangleworm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing that sticks out to me the most is the really simple snow in the foreground. Thats where it should be most detailed, and its kind of flattening it out right now.
    Pop some detail in there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For a war it's very light on people

You follow the gun line rather than the pointing arm, so where you are directing us to look is at a large empty space!
    That's where your robot should be!

You need to create more tension with the lighting - with everything being white there's very little depth.
    Name:  wheretolook.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  15.4 KB

I'd make your character larger on the left - getting rid of all that empty snow and scenery (change the gun so its not 'pointing the way')
    Stick in some more soldiers, to fill the middle ground - that should lead you to the robot visually - especially if you darken the cliff behind him and give him a stronger light source.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The main thing that bothered me was the composition - the robot was a bit too centred and I wasn't sure exactly what was happening. I got a bit carried away with this paintover, but try to ignore the clumsy rendering - the point I was trying to get across was the tweaked composition. Try cutting the characters out and moving them around to see if you can get a better overall arrangement of the shapes - have a play with thumbnails etc. Use the contrast of the robot and the warmth of the gunfire to draw your eye to the centre of interest perhaps.

Also I thought there was too much pure white in the image - even though it is snow I think it's generally better to have a bit of tone and colour in your 'whites' so you can save pure white for when you really need it - I went a overboard with the blue snow here (it doesn't really look like daytime in the snow anymore sorry!) but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. I think the robot 'reads' better now, with the darker mountains silhouetting it? - something to think about maybe. Unless of course you were going for a really "blown out" snow blindness effect.

I hope some of this helps.

Name:  winterwar-3_paintover.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  91.9 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Puck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow

wow, I haven't dreamed of such ammount of help and useful tips.. I tried to keep composition simple but, yes, now when you pointed it out mech is too centered. Initially there where 2 more mechs in those white strokes you have spotted but i removed them not being sure if they are necessary. I didn't know about gun and stroke of brown directing eyes towards white spot, but I'll try to remember such things in future.

Thank you all for great help, I see now I have lots to do

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.