P.O.W.! Challenge 25...Earthquake (EXTENDED)...
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 25...Earthquake (EXTENDED)...

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 25...Earthquake (EXTENDED)...

P.O.W.! Challenge 25
    Deadline: Sunday, June 28, 2009, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.
    DEADLINE EXTENDED ONE WEEK...

Topic: Earthquake...

I thought it might be interesting to see what happens to people involved in an epic natural event, so we're going to try one where we concentrate on how we (or anything else that lives) might cope/react during one of the Earth's hiccups. You can take as serious or humorous an approach as you wish. Anyone who's ever wished the "Earth would move at least once" in their life can finally have a chance to fantasize...heeheehee. You can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color. We're also going to stick with the three-week Challenge period for a while because it seems to be giving people a bit more time to play.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO to a TENTATIVE maximum of SIX pages which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want. You can go to additional pages without asking if you have a decent idea that requires it--just don't get too extreme on page counts

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

This thread will be the place you ask questions on this challenge, trash talk, post WIPs and post your final art. See the READ THIS FIRST thread for all specs.

Good luck.

Again, this one is three weeks rather than the usual two weeks to see if it will allow more participation or just cause a lot more procrastination.

P.O.W.! Challenge 26 will be posted before Sunday Midnight, June 21, 2009.

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...thankyewthankyewthankyew...

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by Ilaekae; June 18th, 2009 at 04:01 PM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic, funny I recall this earthquake occured when I was in grade school back in Asia. Later on, it was caused by one of the Volcano erupting. Well, maybe I'll board up the event instead of telling it.

Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to strings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Does it have to be a 'natural' earthquake?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...as opposed to a "man-made" earthquake? Ummm...if it involves the environment shaking or erratically moving in an out-of-control manner that COULD be "mistaken" for an earthquake, I'll accept it. I'll accept any "psychological" or dream-like earthquake as well, as long as it could be remotely construed as having some recognition in the participant's reaction/understanding as being akin to an earthquake, if that's even possible to depict.

Obviously, an earthquake in the traditional sense caused by HUMAN intervention (nuclear/bombing/construction accident/etc., would qualify, even though it's origins were not truly geo-seismic.

Last edited by Ilaekae; June 2nd, 2009 at 04:00 PM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds fun. I live in California and we've had a couple mild ones (4.0-5.0 ish) the last few weeks.

I might give it a try.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BubbaGump For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I might give this a try, just a quick question ( never been in this part before) what is a splash page?

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A splash page is the term I learned (might be different terminology now) for a page or double page in the reading sequence that is one massive image rather than little panels, usually an overwhelming city shot or battle scene that makes you go "Woof!" It's one of the ways of controlling rhythm so the reader doesn't get visually bored, so to speak. A bit hard to do in six pages, but not all that impossible...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting theme this week.

I'm a noobie to this part of the activities, but I have a vague idea of what you're wanting dimensions wise.

I'll just do what I can, and then resize if it's wrong.

Very cool theme, I've never experienced an earthquake, but ideas are already coming to mind...

Got to go. Must sketch.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Touchstone, read the "READ THIS FIRST" above in the sticky section and you'll find a lot of info on sizes, etc., and some suggestions that might make life easier.

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope this one is going to have a slight extension. I almost have mine finished but I have no computer from today til wednesday next........... can only scan it in then.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

15. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I think I've got what the dimensions are.

Is there anythign else that marks this out significantly from other Community Activities?

I mean, no-one's posting sketches or whatever, that's done alot in COW, CHOW, whatever.

I find it's good to get crit during development so you can spot problems early on and fix them.

Either way I'd best get started.

Got down the main storyline today, and some quick sketches.

Can't wait to see everyone's entries!

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm was thinking at the beginning of this Challenge that the NEWBORN competition would affect us more than the other challenges, so to give you guys a chance to catch up, the deadline is extended to Sunday the 28th of June. Hope that helps a bit.

Touchstone, we have a lot of "problems" that are quite different from the other challenges. We're not doing one image, which is rather easy to post WIPS of. Many of us DO block in the entire entry far enough to post as a WIP, but many work page by page or literally "assemble" at the last minute (me, for example--I use Illustrator) which makes it almost impossible to post a WIP that makes sense.

We'd be delighted to see any WIPs that anyone wants to post for advice and reaction, so go for it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll try get some WIPs posted tomorrow, right now I'm on laptop, and only have a cheap camera, which isn't letting me upload.

=/

I'll go scan stuff in on my home computer tomorrow, that should work.

Thanks for extending the deadline btw, I'm a terrible procrastinator, and this should give me enough time to do a decent job of it.

=]

I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    any chance of a hint on the next subject Ilaekae? it's a little to late for me to enter this one to really complete something, but I really want to have a shot at one. Will you be joining in with the newborn challenge like CHOW?

Last edited by TZA; June 22nd, 2009 at 03:33 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TZA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will not be entering this week.

I've just decided I can't take school anymore, and I'm looking for a way out, and a way into Art College.

So I'm kinda busy with other things.

Good luck to everyone.

Touchstone

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TZA, we'll be doing a 3- or 4- week special starting the 28th that ties into the Newborn Competition.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! Some POW! action in Newborn would be awesome. Stuck a thumbnail for my The Quake entry in my SB. Should be back to normal tomorrow or wed, then the final goes up.

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

28. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm excited for this one. I think I might have something for this. I'm a little late to take advantage of the extended deadline. but. BRING IT ON!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PerinGalitte For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got stuck working all weekend & monday. All I have left to do is the lettering. If you want to run the poll before tuesday, go ahead. If I get the two days though, I'll have it up.........

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It'll take me at least to Tuesday night to even get anything organized for the poll. I'm currently tied up myself fixing massive water damage at my house before it gets worse (roof gutter plugged and flooded water directly into one of our libraries), so I won't have mine at all, but if you think you can have by --say early Wed. morning, and Perin'/someone else comes through, i'm cool with the timing.

Posting the NEWBORN tie-in Challenge in around 10-11 tonight my time (EST). I'm actually a bit pissed at losing this much time this week because mine was working out to be really funny...

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaekae-sorry about your water damage. Hope everything dries out okay. Libraries are precious.

Anyway, here are my 2 pages. Actually this was originally meant to tie in with a Newborn concept, but I'm kind of sick of drawing bugs now, so I may try something else next month.

Cheers,
    Bird

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Swim, fly, draw.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waterbird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got a WIP, but I don't think I'll have time to get it to a point where I'm really happy with it. I guess this was a good lesson in time management, or quality control? Both maybe.

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaekae - Sorry to hear about the water damage. Tough break. Hope nothing too vital was destroyed on you.

Waterbird - I like your pages a lot. Succinct, good vibes and funny. Great skills too. Well done, I think you've probably kicked my ass in this one.

PerinGalitte - you should stick up the WIP so we can check out your story. Always educational to see someone else's take on these topics.

I've been working like a dog recently in my regular job, so time was a premium this month. This POW isn't quite finished - I would have liked time to take it to Illustrator and clean it up, do the lettering properly etc, but this will do. Last 2 pages are unfinshed..... damn..... I feel good about even getting most of an entry in, even if I delayed the deadline twice. Off to work on POW Newborn immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this one is passable for the moment....

Name:  pow25_page01_step3.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  310.2 KB

Name:  pow25_page02_step3.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  285.8 KB

Name:  pow25_page03_step3.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  293.2 KB

Name:  pow25_page04_step3.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  314.6 KBName:  pow25_page05_step3.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  292.4 KB

Name:  pow25_page06_step3.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  281.3 KB

There should be photos on the LHS at odd angles as if her dropped camera is going off constantly.

Top panel she says "No! The dust cloud!"
    Next panel, bangs the wheel of the car and says "Fuck that old man! He's killed me!" (There would be a lot of Caesium and other radioactive isotopes in the air).
    Third panel "What's that noise? An aftershock? No....."

Name:  pow25_page07_step3.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  322.2 KB

Splash page SFX "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
    SFX "... click ...." (camera goes off again)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the first page of the WIP. The idea behind this was to create a film noir type sequential; very moody and introspective. I wanted the storyline to be based around a flashback where the reader is brought into the mind of the main character, who feels extreme guilt, describing the events of the earthquake and the recent death of his wife as the house collapses. So as opposed to how many deal with the disaster, it was planned to be a psychological insight into how one man deals with himself.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PerinGalitte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Entry entry bo bentry

I'm...ambivalent.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artemisia For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.