First face AND MY FIRST DIGITAL DRAWING!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

well its also my first post. I really love the art here but i would like some help with my faces. i've only really got interested in drawing. so tips and critiuqe would be nice. thank you

Kommie

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    overall this is not too bad
    I think you should do some real-life studies though of different parts. For example: the eye socket is not that oval, it has parts that protrude and reflect light as well as concave shadows.
    Do studies of isolated parts, then studies of the parts all together.
    You have the shape of the whole head done well tho, kudos to that!

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For your first digital drawing and first face, I am impressed, especially since this appears to be a work in progress.

Just as hala said previously, the eye area does more often than not have some reflected light bouncing into it; the ocular cavity that you have painted in looks quite deep. Also, the ridges in the ear look a bit off, I think that it is mostly that you have used a darker colour for shadows here as opposed to the warmer flesh tones used elsewhere in the image. I felt my eye being drawn to this area because of it, though it seems as if the intended area of focus is the face (as it should be with a portrait).

I will do a quick paint over later to illustrate my points a bit more clearly.

I think that this could be a very interesting portrait were you to finish it off.

Keep up the good work!

"...let a man walk alone, let him commit no sin, (let him do) with few wishes, like an elephant in the forest."

My humble sketchbook (updates sometimes!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks the reason the ear is so dark is that i got a tip from a good friend of mine. since im a total rookie at this stuff at age 13. So she told me that she get her basic colors very where and then use (photoshop) total black and total white with different opacity's to get her shading. so i tried it with this picture once i got my bamboo. I did the ear first which now i see as a big mistake. I does draw to the ear doesn't it. thanks for the crits, and i would like to see the picture frozen bean

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kommie View Post
    thanks the reason the ear is so dark is that i got a tip from a good friend of mine. since im a total rookie at this stuff at age 13. So she told me that she get her basic colors very where and then use (photoshop) total black and total white with different opacity's to get her shading. so i tried it with this picture once i got my bamboo. I did the ear first which now i see as a big mistake. I does draw to the ear doesn't it. thanks for the crits, and i would like to see the picture frozen bean
    Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, there have been a lot of deadlines stacking up at work!

So I did a paintover to try and distinguish your face a bit more. Bear in mind that this comes from practise and research; the more of that, the better your art will become.

Basically, I worked with the palette that you had already established for the skin (I didn't touch the hair or bandana as you can probably tell). I softened the area around the eye, and reshaped it a bit, adding some reflected light. It looked like you had a strong light source above and to the front of your subject.

Another thing that stood out after studying your image a bit more closely is that there was no real jaw line for this dude's face. Normally, the jaw connects to the skull around the base of the ear.

I made the ear a bit smaller as well - a good rule of thumb I learned from a fine anatomy teacher is that the top of the ear will more or less line up with the bottom of your brow, so when setting up a face, make sure that those line up (according to perspective, of course), or the proportions will look strange.

It was a good tip that your friend gave you to shade and highlight using pure white and black, as this can work well if you are in a hurry. With that in mind, there are a few extra things that you will need to do in order to achieve the best results. For instance, never do this with your layer set to a "Normal" blending mode. Use "overlay" if you're going to use pure white and pure black. Also, I find that painting with the brush hardness turned way down gives better results than lowering the opacity:

HOWEVER, pure black and pure white do not exist in normal lighting situations. For skin, it's best to use lighter or darker tones of the base colour of the skin. For example, for peachy skin like the picture above, use a warm colour (such as a reddish brown), or for paler skin use a cooler tone (such as a blueish gray):

Finally, I lowered the saturation of the green background (was a bit distracting) and added some reflective light from... somewhere.

Really, the best tip I can give you is use as much reference as possible until you have a good sense of what's going on with the human body; draw from life as much as possible to get a good sense of proportion and perspective. Just draw as much as possible

Hope to see more from you, and I hope this was helpful!

"...let a man walk alone, let him commit no sin, (let him do) with few wishes, like an elephant in the forest."

My humble sketchbook (updates sometimes!)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frozenbean For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.