another character
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: another character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

another character

Here. critique it please..... back to life drawing i go....... tried to give a light source from above. put cast shadows on some cloth. Gonna draw the hands in later.... im working on different areas in my art. Judge this from a design standpoint.

Last edited by nicehighs; September 30th, 2009 at 02:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since you want this judged based on design, it looks unbalanced right now and in general not “designed.”

The figure is falling over to the left. You could use a greater variation of shapes and sizes throughout the figure. Right now it looks divided equally in half at the waist with two big shapes of about the same size for the cloak and the fur skirt. Even if you were drawing from a model and that’s what was really going on with the clothing, you could change it in your drawing to make a better design.

The lines could add more interest by being better thought out as design elements. For example, the edges of the cloak and hat look like it was “Oh, this is fabric so here’s some squiggles.” Look at what the fabric is actually doing and then translate that into something that serves a purpose to the design besides just and indication of edges. It’s easier to make changes and exaggerations to the appearance of clothing than it is to a nude model so take advantage when they are wearing costumes.

It looks like you were experimenting with textures like the fur skirt and the hat. You could make the drawing about the fur since that is the most unusual part of the clothing. Make it bigger and fluffier and downplay the details of other stuff. Use other elements of the drawing to bring out the texture and shape of the fur.

You may not have had time for all of that if you were drawing from life, depending on the length of the pose, but try to think about how each shape is relating to the other shapes and how they come together in the composition as a whole. Then you can start adding details and textures if there is still time left for that pose. If there isn’t, make some quick indications on your sketch so you can go back later to finish if you want to continue working on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THAAAAAAANKS FOR THE CRITIQUE! It's so hard getting critiques on my work! It gives me extra things to think about. This design all came from ideas, and thinking about what would look cool no model was used. I wish I could find a model that wore stuff like this!!!! That would be awesome. You hit a lot of good points but is there anything you like about it? I always here what people don't like about my stuff but they really don't tell me what they think looks cool. Like is the fur skirt bad ass and is his jacket cool looking. I mean I think it would look cool seeing this dude fighting in a movie but somebody else might not. I'll post another character design for critique soon. I don't rework my old stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nicehighs View Post
    You hit a lot of good points but is there anything you like about it? I always here what people don't like about my stuff but they really don't tell me what they think looks cool. Like is the fur skirt bad ass and is his jacket cool looking. I mean I think it would look cool seeing this dude fighting in a movie but somebody else might not.
    I like that it seems as though you have a specific idea of how you want this character to look, down to the textures and small details. However, even though I can see that you know exactly what he should look like, it’s still looks too preliminary for me to know what type of character he’s really supposed to be. The image that forms in my mind off of a rough sketch is probably much different than if it had been a fully thought out drawing. The ideas are there and I like your ideas, they just need more work to look like a complete thought.

Quote Originally Posted by nicehighs View Post
    I'll post another character design for critique soon. I don't rework my old stuff.
    I would keep working on it and not consider it “old.” Designing a character is a whole process, as with any artwork, and it takes time and reworking to get it just right. The sketch itself might be as finished as it will ever be, but then you can take the next step to fix things you don’t like and really bring out the stuff that you think adds to illustrating what you have in mind.

Look at pictures of cloaks/jackets, furry fabrics, hats, etc. Find or shoot some reference of a pose that you like that could make the character look more interesting. After doing that you’ll probably have new ideas that will inspire you to go back and make a new drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, I'll get started on reworking this now. It'll probably be some hours though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The critique center has been slow lately--dont feel discouraged by a lack of critiques. If you ever need anything you can always PM me too, I'm always willing to help and critique.

As of right now, if you are trying to focus on the design of a character--drop the light source. Don't worry about it till later. As already said, focus first on the shapes, don't go into detail yet, till you figure out the forms of the cloth, the armor, the hat, etc. Once you have forms that are recognizable, then go for textures that are recognizable, and then add a light source if neccessary.

It is a very unique design and I hope to see more You are working very hard, and it WILL pay off!

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [Brain dump]

Please nicehighs, to check for proportions and composition, always, [Always!] flip the the image horizontally, or use a mirror if doing it w/ traditional media.
    -Don't be afraid to work small first and then enlarge to finish.
    (Work small and figure everything there first, then enlarge/up-rez and work the details, it'll save you a ton of time. I've wasted a lot of time doing the opposite.]
    -Do some balancing acts in front of a mirror, and be aware of how your body counteracts the weight, to keep you from falling.
    -watch fashion runways and see how their hips whiplish g-force.

In anything we concentrate on, our brains will naturally figure out how/what/why.
    That's if you want it bad enough.

Some people still work faster with pencil and paper, some have adapted nicely with
    the tablet. Do what ever gets you results. I still like the pencils/pen.

end ramble.

/d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate all feedback, really, pencil on paper is what I love, I'm much faster with it and it can show most visual forms. (If you know what you're doing) No ramble

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.