Sketchbook: Random marks - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Random marks

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A marker piece.

Name:  091410.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  091910b.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  102.0 KB

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your bridgman studies are amazing but its a shame you don't carry that into your other drawings. Practice drawing heads more too, you should read some andrew loomis just to learn the planes of the head so your face don't look that flat.

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Asatira - new challenge is up! Dynamic Self Portraits! Silly stuff is welcome as it's just for fun

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vink: Thanks for the kind crit. I do wish I could apply the dimensionality of what I've learned from Bridgman to pieces I draw from imagination, but I do recognize I tend to fall back onto more stylized short-cuts. Not always a bad thing, but still a short-coming when I could do more. It'd help if I got back to drawing from ref and had a real face--photo or in person--to remind about the planes and form.

As I said in an earlier post, I wanted to do more still life drawings. Finally sat down and started doing so. Will do my best to do a simple still life everyday, and that should be the minimum (that's the plan anyway).

The last couple night's I was able to get draw were a pair of small wooden blocks I'd bought to study lighting with. The first two pages had about 15 min. per drawing.
    Name:  100210a.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  113.0 KBName:  100210b.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  142.8 KB

Tonight's drawing, about 25 min.
    Name:  100410.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  145.0 KB

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a lot of discipline and are not afraid to try new things. Which is excellent.

And your a marker artist! yay! A really fun medium.
    One of my favorite drawings of yours is the recent one with the girl on the couch. Her gesture, pose, and expression is genuine...one can grasp the mood of the drawing. Awesome

One thing that might help in enhance the recent life-observation studies try to increase the value range a bit. One little helper thing is creating a value scale with pencil/graphite or any medium of 0-10 from white to black. Here's an example here. Or make one with 0-5 your choice.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1440&bih=720

Once you have done that. Keep it near you when you do gray-scale observation drawings. This will help you look for similarities with the chart and what your seeing. It'll also help with depicting form and depth in the objects your studying.

! And some marker advice. Markers are one of the few mediums out there that one must start from light colors to darker colors. Because once you put something down it's there. Which is a splendid thing and a horrible thing sometimes. And also keep in mind the direction of your strokes and mark making.

O.O; sorry for rambling on for too long. Hope this helps. Keep at it!

K

I'm out to conquer the world equipped with a pencil, digital paint and a Sketchbook
    and when I do achieve that goal...I'll conquer the moon too

"When you draw nervously you end up with a nervous drawing, so drawing strongly produces lines filled with vitality"- Nightow Yasuhiro

"Use the ability you already have, and use it, and use it, and make it develop itself."-Robert Henri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sanakris: Thanks for stopping by and the well-thought out critiques. Yes, I need to work on a scale and use more than one pencil. As for the markers, I am aware of technique, and usually work light to dark. The problem with the quality is probably the paper; I've been using Bristol smooth, which is nice, but doesn't blend as well as marker paper. We'll have to see how I do with the "proper" paper.

The last week plus has been crazy. Between grading composition papers and working on my usual editing projects, I was just too drained to get back to doing my daily drawing (yeah, yeah, excuses). Here's what I've got.

This was from some time before things got crazy, the sixth I think. And circle doodles.
    Name:  100610.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  55.5 KB

This was from tonight, and about an hour's time went into it. Need to see about making and using that value scale, and better at blending.
    Name:  1017710.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  45.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yesterday's pieces. Timed figure studies, general face studies, both from ref, and a really quick and dirty 5 minute sketch of a toy's head.

Name:  101910a.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  101910b.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  101910c.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  101910d.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  101910e.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  66.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work with the bridgman studies. I'm probably just going to echo some things that have been said, but it never hurts, eh?

Definitely try to get your bridgman and gesture work to apply to your characters! Think about the work in segments: first get your gesture down with good balance, twisting and wedging and proportion. You do great with this in gestures. Try doing pages of gestures from your head, not worrying about details and facial features. This is the groundwork for your characters!

Same with the head, try drawing from imagination in the style of bridgman. There's nothing wrong with stylized characters/manga/cartoon/whatever style, but it's got to feel like it's based on solid knowledge. So try using the construction you've practiced with bridgman to make your own faces. Then analyze the drawings and see where you need work, such as planes of the head, expressions, facial features, etc.

Then you can focus on arms, legs, feet, hands, etc. in particular in the same way.

I think if you start working this way much more you will see a great improvement in both your characters and your observational studies. You've got solid observational skill, you just need to start working more from your mind! (while never stopping the studies )

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eekolite: Thanks for the feedback and advice. I'm going back to basics with Bridgman and Loomis, and the studies in general. I used to be a lot stronger with my expressions, but I haven't been putting in the studies like I used to, so it's been slipping. Hence the exercises. Working on putting in more facial/head studies, maybe doing studies of films I watch.

Tonight's drawings are quick, 1-3-5 minutes gestures of a figurine. Different from the one I did the earlier drawing of, but part of the same set. I have a feeling I'm going to wind up doing the whole set. Name:  102010a.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  102010b.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  43.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grading papers and other work. Not much. So, self portrait from Monday, drawn from a webcam ref. And some progress pics of a piece I did for a fan community's secret santa sign-ups. I started with it going one way, didn't like her pose and expression, and re-drew it in a completely different pose.

Attachment 1094609

Attachment 1094611
    Attachment 1094610
    Attachment 1094613

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to report, but it's been too long since my last update. So my self-portrait from the first and a piece of fanart.

Name:  110110.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  100.8 KB

Name:  110410.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  femio_kuzco.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  65.2 KB

turtlecracker is offline Just hatched, going for the water now. Oh no! Seagulls! D8 Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea of the 1, 3, and 5 minute studies. =D I'm going to try those out next time I pick up my pencil.

One thing I've been trying to remember myself while practicing values and shading is to think about the direction you move the pencil. Like, say in #66, the mermaid is holding a shell, I believe. But since it's been shaded with lines that go across the whole thing, it looks kind of flat, even with the darker shades. Maybe it would look different if you'd start out with the darkest shadows and work along the shape of the shell towards the lighter values?

I'm still starting out with drawing, so if I'm not too good at explaining what I mean, I apologize.

If you can't catch a wave, then you're never gonna ride it.
    My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    turtlecracker: Thanks for your feedback and advice about shading. Form following shading is one of many things I need to work on.

Not much, just some fanart I did for an anime fan group on DeviantArt. I liked the background.

Name:  Kiss_the_Girl_small.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  68.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't be too hard on yourself on the shading. There was a break through on #66. Which was done a few months ago reveals form and values well. And that rhino figure looks realistic. The figure and head studies are fantastic as well as the imagination stuff.

Hey thank you for appreciating my long critique. After the last post, I thought I had talked way too much and might come out as being offensive just for rambling.

I'll shut up now and let you draw and do your thing

-K

I'm out to conquer the world equipped with a pencil, digital paint and a Sketchbook
    and when I do achieve that goal...I'll conquer the moon too

"When you draw nervously you end up with a nervous drawing, so drawing strongly produces lines filled with vitality"- Nightow Yasuhiro

"Use the ability you already have, and use it, and use it, and make it develop itself."-Robert Henri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sanakris: Thanks for dropping and your words. I shouldn't be so hard on myself, but it'll take a while to ease up. I'll ease up when I my studies get better.

Name:  122210a.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  133.2 KB Name:  122210b.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  121.6 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm digging those lines
    Keep it up and have a good one
    -Jamie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can finally post my secret santa images. Also, a quick marker piece I did for Illustration Friday.

Name:  122110.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  122110b.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  122510.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  104.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ref'd figure sketches.

Name:  122710b.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  102.7 KB

Name:  122710a.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  87.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not the first drawings of the year; I hope to get to that later today. 30 sec. gestures, and 1-3-5min. studies.

Name:  122910a.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  64.0 KB

Name:  122910b.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  122910c.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  53.9 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Deffiantly improving keep up the hard work on the studies
    have a good one and happy new years
    -Jamie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OmertA: thanks.

Quick fanart sketches, timed gestures from pixelovely.com, timed still lifes and a not-so-timed.

Name:  010311.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  010611.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  109.9 KB

Name:  011011.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  011011b.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  011011c.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  011011d.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  65.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some anatomy studies. Realized I haven't been drawing legs well, so I've started studying the lower body, starting with the pelvis. Images are largely copies done based on Jack Hamm and Richard Peck.

Name:  011311a.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  011311b.jpg
Views: 195

Name:  011511a.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  011511b.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  41.2 KB

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I love the cartoon drawings that you do. For the still lives don't outline them as much and let the shading make the form. Also some of the shadows needs to be darker - took me ages to get dark enough.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More anatomy studies. A few from Peck, and back to Bridgman. Also, some drawn from photo ref studies, the usual timed gestures and a few studies of the pelvis. It's all kinda jumbled together.

Name:  012611a.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  011511b.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  012611b.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  012711a.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  012711b.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  012711c.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  012711d.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  012711e.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  012911a.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  012911b.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  012911c.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  012911d.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  54.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally. Something outside, and not human. Went to the zoo for a brief bit. Did some drawings of some of the animals, mostly gestures for fairly obvious reasons.

Name:  013011a.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  013011b.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  013011c.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  28.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <sigh> No anatomy this week. But a few pieces from imagination, and couple fanart pieces.

Name:  020111.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  20.0 KB

Name:  020211.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  23.0 KB

Name:  020411a.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  020411b.jpg
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  020311.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  16.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More daily drawings, and a few gestures.

Name:  020511.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  020611.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  24.3 KB

Name:  020711.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  20.8 KB

Name:  020811b.jpg
Views: 154

Name:  020911.jpg
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  021011a.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  021011b.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  021011c.jpg
Size:  25.0 KB

Name:  021111.jpg
Size:  20.7 KB

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the lions from the zoo trip, at least they stay still for a bit, and those last gestures are full of vim.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blackspot: Thank you.

I have been slow on uploading the remainder of my February pictures. Don't look forward to uploading them. So for now, just a few WIPs and finished of a piece of fanart I did over a couple days. Very simple, deliberately flat digital coloring.

Name:  022811_roughinks.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  022811.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  beetle-mercury.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  91.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inertia, it is me. Moving past simply doing gestures after not drawing for a while = tricky.

Name:  031711.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  031911a.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  120.8 KB

Name:  031911b.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  89.5 KB

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 14