Looking for new tutorial resources.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Looking for new tutorial resources.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Looking for new tutorial resources.

I'm looking for some new tutorials and wanted to know what some of you thought were the best sites/products out there. I've purchased several (or most) of the Massive Black and DART tutorial DVD's, as well as an assortment of DVD's from some of the other popular sites that cropped up over the last few years.

I'm finding that, despite having a plethora of really professional and informative learning tools available to me, I need a fresh outlook; a new perspective and new points of view. It's difficult going back over the same hundred or so hours of video without quickly losing interest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated; free or premium videos -- I don't mind paying as long as the price is reasonable -- or even old-fashioned step-by-steps are welcome.

Thanks for your time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in my experience, Trial and Error is the best tutorial

I'd recommend checking out Glenn Vilppu's DVD Lecture series. Probably one of the most helpful things I've used on human figure drawing yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sagely advice; unfortunately trial and error doesn't cover everything, otherwise a goodly majority of this community, and many others like it, would be rendered moot.

As for the suggestion, I couldn't agree more; Vilppu's lectures were extremely informative and comprehensive. Between his work, Civardi and Hogarth's "Dynamic Figure Drawing" I've pretty much got all the anatomical bases covered.

I apologize for not being more descriptive in my original post -- what I'm looking for is more or less of the same ilk as Jason Chan's videos (or Nox and Whit's), or the Gnomen and DART series of videos. Not so much the rudiments, but insight into work-flow, digital technique, etc. I also find simply watching these guys work inspiring and a good method for getting my head in the right place to do some creative work.

Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate you taking the time to help.

Last edited by commonmind; May 31st, 2009 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm also wondering if this is in the best place or if I should consider moving it elsewhere...

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by commonmind View Post
    I'm also wondering if this is in the best place or if I should consider moving it elsewhere...
    Not really: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho....php?p=1885709
    moved

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just use google. Generally using search in sites like youtube, deviantart, grfxartist, cgsociety, vimeo yields results.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Elwell.

And appreciate the suggestion Arshes; I was trying as best as possible to get away from the never-ending search, however. I use Google and YouTube consistently, and frequent every one of the sites you listed on a regular basis. Problem is I spend a lot of time searching and not enough time being creative. With two kids, a book to finish and a house to keep clean I can't afford a lot of productivity loss.

I guess I was hoping I'd missed some massive resource. Sort of the way I missed finding Gnomen for so many years. Some random DA member mentioned the site in a thread. I checked it out and, voila, an overwhelming assortment of everything from pre-production/concepting to traditional illustration -- even modeling (of the clay and hand variety).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following

I guess I was hoping I'd missed some massive resource.
    Harry Speed, Andrew Loomis maybe?

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14264
    http://acid.noobgrinder.com/Loomis/

Pretty much the best freely available books on art.

See also..
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131117

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Elwell.

And appreciate the suggestion Arshes; I was trying as best as possible to get away from the never-ending search, however. I use Google and YouTube consistently, and frequent every one of the sites you listed on a regular basis. Problem is I spend a lot of time searching and not enough time being creative. With two kids, a book to finish and a house to keep clean I can't afford a lot of productivity loss.
    Isn't that part of being an artist though, that's why artists bill on time for research/materials as well as creation.

If you're still looking for stuff and not being creative you kinda just presented a problem for you no tutorial is going to give you insight for

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have we become a stereotype again? Though I disagree with the first statement, I can't help but agree, wholeheartedly, with the latter -- despite how much I'd like to ignore the facts, I really do have little time in which to go through the same rigmarole I subjected myself to happily prior to becoming a family man. I had, however foolishly, assumed I could find some fast and true method of resolving my problem, thus increasing my creative productivity -- without sacrificing time from the kids.

Thank you Flake, I will give those links a look-see.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.