Chow 161 :: The CITY - Page 8

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Chow 161 :: The CITY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by courtyard View Post
    Hey AvisNocturna -- Thanks for the comment...yeah, I've been cropping it since the background is still blank, but she will definitely have more space.

Ugh--sorry I still haven't had a chance for comments. Will try to get it in somehow. Really cool watching these develop.

Quite a lot of changes since the last post, still a lot to do...
    Great progress!!!
    I can't wait to see the next step!

Rabies> You're wrong! I'm not here to show off! Comments would help me know how to enhance it!

Blog
    You can take the man out of the eighties but you can't take the eighties out of the man.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cosmitron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Photoshop has decided to turn into a mushy pile of lag so here's where I got to before resigning for the evening:

WIP!

Changed the background - going for the sort of area an explosion has taken place, with the coat now containing pipes and debris that are rooted into the surrounding dirt (trying to represent the way nature is taking over all the artificial structures there now). Also made the leotard grey because it was blending in with the coat a bit too much.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    little sketch on istanbul,dunno if i'll make a finished one. going caricaturist road.
    golden horn(actually a river), wooden houses on shoulders,moshee on top,hidden pollution,getting too big,open to trade,trying to get in tourists. some arrows from earlier wars yet.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Москва - Moscow
    Chow 161 :: The CITY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Cristinart:
    Your piece is really beautiful but it's against the rules

See the "guidelines":

Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    Sorry I have to say this but I guess it's better you know it now and not just when the poll's up and you've been disqualified :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my Hiroshima.

Hiroshima is a city forever marked in one instant. The white things on her kimono will be cherryblossom also resembling ashes. The ashes from which she arose like a phoenix. Her back is still bears scars of the event, but she looks forward, and thinks positive. She tries to tell the world about the horrible event that has happened, but unfortunatly, still a lot of people don't listen..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtbyWard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cristinart - SunRoamer is right I'm affraid. It's a great piece but because this is character design challenge we need more than just a portrait. Three quarters minimum.

Last edited by Aly Fell; June 4th, 2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: granma

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on p. 6

I filled out the image some more and tried to take into account the various suggestions.

A few c&c while I'm here:
    Nadiamoon: Looks like a pretty solid start. I think it would be cool if you worked some different colors into your shadows and highlights.

Carnifex: Amusing, I look forward to more definition.

Cristinart: Aww, too bad it's not big enough. Perhaps you can expand the image?

Missile: I think you are progressing well. I prefer the face you chose to go with. You might shorten the length of leg from the ankle to knee. It looks a little long. Also, thanks for all the suggestions on mine!

sketchery goodness!

Or you can check out my shiny website!
    *clicky, clicky*

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jefita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohh!!! T_____________T I'm sorry, I haven't read propertly the rules!!
    I know for the next time.

Thank for the advise =____= !

Quote Originally Posted by SunRoamer View Post
    @Cristinart:
    Your piece is really beautiful but it's against the rules

See the "guidelines":

Sorry I have to say this but I guess it's better you know it now and not just when the poll's up and you've been disqualified :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristinart View Post
    ohh!!! T_____________T I'm sorry, I haven't read propertly the rules!!
    I know for the next time.

Thank for the advise =____= !
    Could you please repost your picture? Although it did not match the rules, I'd be interested in seeing it! By the way -keep in mind I haven't seen it- maybe, you could still use it for the full length character?

Blog
    You can take the man out of the eighties but you can't take the eighties out of the man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darklogik Hey looking nice as the sketch, I would say style wise its really up to you, might be nice to go very stylised after ur last CHOW was very realistic.

Tommoy BErlin, awesome city, been there before and loved every second of it. Liking the look of the characters u have atm, maybe work some more symbolism into it. looking cool though.

mojokingbee hey they do look like cheeky cockney bird I give ya that! I like it a lot, maybe without the british flag I may not have recognised it as London, but then again I think most are going to need some kind of explanation, its a very personal topic after all, keep going! ha ha love the later sketches with the cuppa tea! essential! loving the sketches.

Missile first sketch I love! you should push that to final even if that not the one u submit, the pose is great though her right leg is a little odd, her calf i don't think should be over the underside of thigh like that. Instantly recognised the city which is why i feel its stronger than ur second image. good going The second design is also good, should try push ur rendering some more, everything is fading from light to dark quite evenly across the forms, making everything look like the same material, try find a reference of someone in a similar pose and look at the shadows on the body, this should help you know what I mean. good luck dude.

pahavasa preferred the first idea you had, was a funny image dude, like the symbolism ur trying to get, need to see more really, but good start

Clochette what do i say? I love it (as per usual) ur style has caught my eye since I first saw ur SB and continues to impress me, keep it Clo

Reymus yeh thats a strong image, watch the colours though, looks a tad muddy in some places, sure u know that, love the architecture as part of the character, reminds me slightly of shadow of the colossus in that respect. keep pushing.

kingkostas very marvel super hero style, I like it, strong pose and interesting concept with the waterfall hands, love the vibrant colours too

Chance. cool sketch dude, just watch one thing though, remeber this is CHOW, while scenes are good for context they are not character design as such, try to focus more on the costume and similar elements to make ur character unique. The facial expression is there, not make him an elistist with his outfit too. good work so far though

tron-one looking good so far, cant say much at this stage, keep going and post ur wips, maybe I can help then.

Witha-K she is one hell of a quirky aggressive type love the attitude and the BMX, ha ha very cool, its coming on well. go go paint

~baxter when u said steel city I thought Sheffield ha ha but its not, but thats fine I just know sheffield as steel city. Love the face reminds me of that photo of the New York skyscraper builders having lunch for some reason. Like the robotic arms, looking forward to seeing more of that.

AhChu pretty much though this was gonna be Ibiza or the other similar party hot spots, holographic turntable is sweet. hips are looking a lil thin atm, give her some dancer hips and she is ready to rock.

Razorleaf hey, nice idea, not sure where naked stands as far as character design, however this brief seems to be taken more as symbolism so it does it fit with that, maybe use some reference for the shadows on the body, all looking pretty uniform atm. watch the has lines in the background, they are a tad distratcting atm.

hunchback awesome sketch, love the idea, need to see more to really cri, but love the sketch, she is hot but gross, i kinda fancy her ha ha ha keep going with it

Cosmitron boom! you really dont need my help on this dude, rock it, kick my ass

SunRoamer I like the concept, but maybe experiment with some different poses, something more glamourous would make this really nice. keep going with though, CHOW is good practice

Leo Ki Lyon, nice place, been a few times very strong pose, need to see this more fleshed out, so keep pushing.

courtyard looking good, rendering is coming on nicely, keep going. love the feather...butt...thing, dunno what they called but looks cool!

AvisNocturna wow, cool old lady love the dress, would love to see some kind of netting on it, or maybe a heavy floral pattern stitched into it.
    push that painting some more and u have a nice character there.

emerging hit the nail on the head there i reckon, great image, right amount of sleaze in that guys face hahahaha

darkrain argh u drew my dad 0_0 ha ha nah its disturbingly good idea, want to see some strnger brush strokes though, looking a tad soft at the joints, I would expect some creases ya know. keep going

Carnifex please finish it, I love the facial expression, go go finish!

Nadiamoon vibrant! would like to know more about some of the items in the clothing, want to see more of this please, go go paint

IceMoon lovely skecthes, the kimono is looking sweet, both sketches are worth pushing I thnk, they are both pretty strong already, keep going

whoah! think i got most, if u are missed out its not on purpose, I just complacent. great entries again, looking forward to seeing them all done, keep up the good work everyone.

Alex

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ghostbrush For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this is about as far as I'm going to take mine time wise ..... "Halifax Exposed"

Last edited by Razorleaf; June 4th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
    "Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you are right Ghostbrush ..... mine does seem a bit uniform. Plain ole naked doesn't say much for character design but its what I got out of the brief for my city. I think I'll stick with what I've got but I probably won't go to poll with it.

Nadiamoon - I am liking yours. Its got this kinda Odin slash Warlord mix to it.

Last edited by Razorleaf; June 4th, 2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: grammar
    "Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ghostbrush / Icemoon
    Thats what i ment with scars. I know you, ghostbrush, wanted to keep a kind of "reincarnation" or "healing" in the picture, but i think it would have more impact, if it had some scars like Icemoons.

Btw to both of you, i had an assignment on it some time ago, and i saw some pictures of a special kind of wound that didnt heal. It looked different from any other wound, the actual wound was ON the skin. Its hard to describe but it didnt curve inwards. It was called something with chlor, and was a very common wound in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Just thourd id share

Cosmopolitan
    Yeah i know, but i dont think i can really come up with something you could use

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rabies For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    minor update...not done with the skin just yet, still have some highlighting and deeper shadows to define. not to mention working on hair, tulip wreath, face and general background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WHere its At! =)

Just wanted to throw up what I have rendered atm. Dont Worry! he is actually full-body.

Comments needed =)

Thanks

Destiny is re-written daily. ~

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nigeria my home land
    Appealing and lively while dangerous and wild

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's two updates, and I think I'll stop there, unless I've forgot something essential
    Comments are more than welcome

Blog

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Cosmitron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ty for the crits/comments so far.

Ghostbrush: That's pretty neat that there's a "Steel City" over there. Didn't even know about it. Your dead on with the inspiration, as I used this photo. Despite its NY, its the same clothing for the time period, so it works

Small update from me on 114

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ~baxter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off replies!

Clochette: damn I love your work more every time I come to look at it. You've really come on amazingly recently. Sarajevo looks amazing, even in this early stage.

Courtyard: Like the fact you've gone for a younger looking child, gives a more unique look, and all her little odds and sods are interesting, makes me wonder which city you're doing!

Mojokingbee: Eheh now no mistaking that's british! The 'cheers' makes me laugh, as I say that a lot, but more as thanks than anything! Really like the face... it's a nice mix of that gritty determination the brits have.

Witha-K
    : the face on yours is looking gorgeous.. loving the colour scheme too. One thing i like about it is you've captured that kind of laid back arrogance of character, something I could imagine the city having. You might want to check her right eye as we see it, it looks a little sunk back in the head compared to the other one... or it could be that it's not quite following the curve of the face.

Ghostbrush: another really unusual take, especially given it's Hiroshima! The hair cloud is a nice touch, but i really like that she's got this ethereal look to her.

Pahasava: Ooh, interesting design. Feels really functional and straight forward, and I'm guessing there's hints of the business man and pollution there too. The muted colour scheme is nice, it's be interesting to see the odd splash of neon colour in there too.

Lennon: wow, that's an intensely violent look at the way you feel about the city. I find the corn somewhat distracting, especially as they seem to be painted photos on top of the purely painted image at the back. Distracts from the character a lot.

Monika Gruszka: This is one of my favourites so far for it's lack of overt costuming or social comment. I can tell so much just from the eyes, and even without you saying I'd have guessed some eastern bloc country of europe. Great job in capturing the essence of a city in the face.

No Name: interpreted exactly what you described as the city's hisotry really well in the drawing. i like the mix of modern day and the war torn past. Looking forward to colour.

Rabies: ooh, interesting take on the city's characteristics! The alien idea is interesting too. I'd be tempted to add some rim lighting to her form, just to break up the solid black outline you've got going round everything, but it's well on it's way.

Cosmitron: wow, this is such a visually interesting piece. She definitely says european western to me, and I love the allure she has, even though it looks kinda dangerous too. Really nice work so far and love the lengthening of the leg's forshortening.

Jefita: lovely stuff. The metaphors of what you described in the picture are very subtle, which I love. And it's not that what's holding her there is bad, per se, but you know that she wants to be more than what she is. Nice work. If I had any suggestions, I'd maybe move the girl's feet a touch to the right, so her centre line is straight, rather that leaning,

Rinjii: Ehehe nice.. Amsterdam as a sexy lookin' hooker and a laurel. Very direct interpretation of the city, but it's one of the things it's known for. It'd be nice if you could work some softness into her face. Amsterdam has some real beauty and sadness to it too, would be lovely to see a hint of that.

Posh: Something a little different for you here Aly.. really like it too. This feels like it could have some real emotional depth to it, especially given it's a topic close o a dear one's heart. Look forward to see what you do with colours for it.

Pixeltuner: Liking the grey and red in this earlier stage... that could be quite striking just as a colour scheme in itself, but not sure if it's tokyo!

Sunroamer: Her pose isn't too bad atm... her left shoulder as we look look quite wide and the way the forearm overlaps looks a little far down on the upper arm. Maybe a little foreshortening on the hand too, and having it in less than a straight on, fingers clasped together might help sell that she's beckoning to the viewer.

Reymus: ooh, awesome idea to incorperate the actual buildings into the character. I like it. Gives a feeling of wholeness about th ecity, not to mention strength and dogged determination!

Darklogic: love the mountainous shoulder pauldrons, they're awesome! The whole outfit is neat. One thing i might say is that there seems to be a lot of primary colours fighting for attention at the mo.. maybe tweaking the yellow slightly more into orange, and darkening the orange a little more into red, or pinking it off slightly would help tie the character's overall scheme together, but still keep all those sports colours. Nice design thus far though.

lkjhgfdsa: Liking the conceptual feel the design has here.. i could almost see it as one of those business metaphor sort of illustrations that feature in editorials in magazines. The green on the final colour one is a bit too neon for me, I think maybe a little more desaturated colour onto it, and more darks will help a lot, but the overall message is really clear.

Max Martelli: Ha! No mistaking the americanism of this one! brill design, simple but very effective.

wiggum: nice character! He feels a little manic, and the demon by his side is cute, what's the story behind him?

Emerging: No doubting that's vegas. High rollin' money loving, but all in all good fun, long as it's not for too long! LOVE the shirt, that's awesome and I want one.

Pixelfish: lovin' the breezy feeling to this one, I want to be in that city right now, looks lovely! Like that you've got so many physical aspects of the city into the piece too. Nice work.

Darkrain: ooh, another somewhat scathing summation of a city's character! Love illustration though, she has a lot of character and is kind of oddly appealing for it. he mobile phones on the belt is a nice touch too, mixing the old with the new.

NickTrip: i like the way you've taken the characterisation of the city a little differently, rather than focusing on the people as what creates the city, you've flipped that. Nice twist.

ThaDeus: not much to say this early on, but I really like the stylisation of your line work.

Tetrodotoxin: made me giggle.. I could imagine him as an informative cartoon character on a tour round Berlin!

Carnifex: LOVE that you've gone more caricature on it. Even in that sketch that sneery smile has a tonne of personality... hope that stays if you work him out!

Nadiamoon: Ooh, lots of historical aspects in this character. I like the design, but it'd be nice to see more personailty to him, maybe considering the way his legs are posed, to make him seem strong, or proud, or maybe distanced... however the city makes you feel while you're in it, or imagine yourself to be if you're not.

Icemoon: Lovely frontal sketch, and i love the idea of the scars on her back. She looks kind of proudish in the front sketch at the moment, though.. one of the things the back sketch has is that sense of frailty, but without being weak, would love to see that in the final thing.

Razorleaf: nice illustration... it would have been awesome if the graffiti had been on her body rather than the wall. give she's supposed to be the city, it would have been a lovely metaphorical, but also literal translation of that aspect of the city.

30. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And now my own. I've tried not to think about the kind of people that live in ym home town of Cambridge, UK, but rather the kind of sense of character i get while i'm in the city. It's a place that is well to do, but is steeped in history and grandeur, yet for all that it feels relatively friendly and homely while you're in it. And it has a certain charm and lure to it, especially in the balmy days of summer. So I've tried to design a character who might reflect all that in one way or another, and came to an older business man with gypsy esque roots, comfortable with both aspects of himself, and a dab hand on the violin. All in all a very charming person, but not without a pin sharp mind, despite the outer somewhat eccentric look.

Name:  cambridge.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  131.2 KB

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more comments:

Ghostbrush - The lighting is mesmerizing! The ginkgo leaves are a bit hard to recognize - could be mistaken for birds or butteflies, but maybe this is intentional?
    AvisNocturna - The Old Lady's way of looking in the latest update (third picture) does ring a bell (a Bavarian bell) (see the line below)
    Felida - Cute one, that's the München I recall - more than the Old Lady (see line above), but both are the town.
    darklogik - The gladiator looks fearsome!
    Blueman - I like the idea. If you're unsure if the golem is human enough for the brief maybe ask the moderators.
    Missile - Her face is creepily expressive. Very good job with all the details and symbols. On the technical side, I'm waiting for the picture to gain some texturing.
    pahavasa - Hm, you dropped the white karhu... The character is very funny.
    lennon - Very strong image. Care to explain the symbolism? Crisis of the 90s? Agricultural politics?
    emerging - LOL. I think you've pinned it down.
    NickTrip - Fascinating mythology invented real time!
    Cosmitron - I'd have imagined a bit more Parisian gray-blue in the mood. (la grande ville au coeur d'acier )

I'll update my picture tomorrow.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leo Ki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cosmitron - Love it, but I personally think you've overdone the 'bloom' on the bottom one. It actually makes it more... photographic, but you loose a lot of your wonderful subtle tones. Maybe a compromise between the two?

Zephyri - Cheers Sam. I'm not sure about mine yet. I actually think I might broaden it out and spend longer on it than I can this week. The original sketch was done on a scrap of paper at work and had faceless figures standing and watching her bleed to death and doing nothing. Not a very subtle point really! Yours looks smashing, and he reminds me of Ed Alleyne Johnson.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Leo Ki> You're right! I think I've forgot that side of Paris. Lucky I still have some time to find something.
    Poshspice> You're right! I'll try something more subtle

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cosmitron: agree with Aly.. the bloom is almost more retro photograph, but the colours on the first are so soft and inviting, it seems a shame to wipe the subtlety out with the bloom.

Darklogic: Like the stony facade the character has, but maybe the darkest blacks are a little overwhelming at the moment.. if you tweaked it with levels to lighten the black then go back in and add just a touch of really dark colour instead, it'll probably stop it looking quite so heavy.

Vongola: interesting mix of attributes! Will you be doing any one particular city? Bit early to offer advice right now, but the flow of the figure is working well so far, but the finger at the mouth doesn't really suggest wild or lively.

Aly: cheers! Smashing is a jolly good word for describing Cambridge really. Would definitely like to see you flesh yours out more too - the darker concept of it intrigues me, and would make it more of a raw emotional impact. Though I hear you on the time you don't have, oi.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a little furthur

Im gonna work on on the face a bit more, thank you. Once I have the shadows and highlights of each area down, ill adjust the colors so they are not competing as heavily.

Keep em comin =)

Destiny is re-written daily. ~

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Istanbul mini update, still muddy, but adding more structures into it, shops, stalls, breaking the legs apart even more.

edit: The "muddiness" I've come to realize is a large part on Painter, Photoshop rarely if ever does this, but I've never painted in photoshop (or painter until recently for that matter) so I can't be 100% sure. Photoshop just produces cleaner everything that I may just dump Painter for these activities.

Razorleaf - Her shadow looks like it should fall a little to the right of where you have it, coming up against the wall, and blend her some into the background so it dosen't look like she stands out too much.

Emerging - Awesome render, but LV has more to that than just gambling, the city has a pretty dark history, albeit everything revolving around money, maybe make the guy look more desperate or sinister. Corruption and greed in a silk shirt.

Cosmitron - I agree with Poshspice, I liked the top version, the luminosity kind of swallows her up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zephyri- thanks for the suggestion!! you are right, amsterdam does have a very soft yet sad feel to it, especially after its golden age died away and the stains of the holocaust victims like anne frank.

i changed her expression a little by merely changing her eyebrow direction and a few minor tweaks to make her look a little more wistful than hard-assed.

i'm also thinking about putting a star of david necklace in her hand, and [maybe] a few scars on her to hint at that- but not large enough to take away from the piece as a whole.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a little update ..a lot of work to do ,but the idea is there ,i think... feel free to comment ...time to go to bed for me ... i'll come back later and comment all the great works you're all creating Name:  Update1.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  285.0 KB

My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zephyri - I actually tried your suggestion but I thought it totally changed the symbolism of the piece. The naked woman is suppose to represent the purity of the city, what is innocent and good about it, while all around her is the violence and crime - hence the city "exposed". But having the graffiti on the woman somehow changed it so that she represented the crime and violence. Still, I agree that it is missing something. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Last edited by Razorleaf; June 4th, 2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2