Chow 161 :: The CITY - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Chow 161 :: The CITY

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm... maybe this is a case of misinterpretation of Zaxser's original suggestion. I can see how it can be interpreted both ways. However, seeing as so many people are well under way with their pieces it might be better to leave the brief as it is, and make the city humanoid for this round. Who knows what next weeks ChOW will bring or the week after's...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikuru View Post
    Razorleaf, the eifel tower is not a city, and a character does not have to be a human being, Mickey mouse is a character too. So is Nemo, but CHOW mainly keeps it withing the humanoid sphere.
    only if the brief specifically calls for it

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Leo Ki is offline Trying to tame that growling stylus Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Watson View Post
    A common misunderstanding about this activity is that it is confined and limited to humanoid characters. That is simply not the case and frankly counter to what Chow is about.
    Mythologies and religions tend to use humanoid figures to symbolize everything, but I agree it would be interesting to do otherwise. Do you have any examples of it?

mojokingbee - Looking very nice so far!
    Missile - Your idea rocks! Take the time to ponder and design the pose and anatomy.
    pahavasa - Karhu! Helsinki's quite beautiful, don't make it too ugly
    Clochette - Splendid allegory!
    Reymus - If the guy was seen from a low angle it might look more impressive.
    Ghostbrush - Don't make her too stiff. Can't wait to see the development.
    kingkostas - Mythology's eternal, great modern take at it.
    Chance - Looks great - maybe give the character more importance graphically.
    darklogik - Into funny depictions again Even for not-so-funny realities.
    tron-one - A few words about the symbolism?
    ~baxter - Great! Will you add more town elements to it?
    hunchback - Terrific!
    Cosmitron - The reason why I don't like Paris But great expression as always!
    Razorleaf - I understand the allegory of the pose, but your character is hardly visible and it may clash with the CHOW rules (I'm not sure though).
    SunRoamer - If you want to go glamor it's a bit difficult. Try sketching different poses, and train on references a bit.

I'm doing Lyon, a town I've never felt home in - but I've never felt home on this planet anyway

Attached Images Attached Images  

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Leo Ki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Ki View Post
    Mythologies and religions tend to use humanoid figures to symbolize everything, but I agree it would be interesting to do otherwise. Do you have any examples of it?
    No. Which is why I find the idea so compelling and interesting.

And, like I said, there really is nothing wrong with using a humanoid figure for the city. I just thought another approach would be interesting.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    Hmmm... maybe this is a case of misinterpretation of Zaxser's original suggestion. I can see how it can be interpreted both ways. However, seeing as so many people are well under way with their pieces it might be better to leave the brief as it is, and make the city humanoid for this round. Who knows what next weeks ChOW will bring or the week after's...
    I agree - I wasn't attempting to really change the direction of this week's round, but as I said, more of a "has anyone thought about this?"

Best,
    ~S

9. The Following User Says Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Leo Ki is offline Trying to tame that growling stylus Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just thought that countries were often symbolized by animals, especially in war propagandas, for instance. Maybe something to explore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Watson View Post
    No. Nothing at all.

My point wasn't to say everyone was doing it wrong, but merely to say "have you thought of it this way?"

~S
    ok cool, just wanted to be sure i wasn't misreading anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've just seen this, and if I can find a spare hour or so, I'm in. Edinburgh, I think; a city composed of many village areas. Old, dark and haunted, fresh and burgeoning. A lady of the night, filled with fresh hope and social problems. Sophisticated and run-down. Could I use twins as an image?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Further progress on mine. Lots of amazing WIPs in here so far...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find it quite interesting that there are mostly posts without pictures but thoughts about the cities. Hope this will result in some great pictures!

Well, decided for the old lady. Ergh.. I included doves. And I hace doves, I almost have some kind of Dove-Phobia what makes painting them kind of difficult.

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  213.6 KB

And update... I knew there was something wrong with the composition

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  258.7 KB

Update:

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  140.7 KB

update 06/07
    Name:  06.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  240.6 KB

Last edited by Nele Klumpe; June 7th, 2009 at 07:21 AM.
    “Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Here near finishing my entry.
    Sorry all for not giving any critiques and such i am busy with assigments and that offers me little time to work on other things.

I would love to see how all these entries will become when finished !!!
    See ya

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Ki View Post
    Razorleaf - I understand the allegory of the pose, but your character is hardly visible and it may clash with the CHOW rules (I'm not sure though).
    Huh!?!?

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorleaf View Post
    Huh!?!?
    I mean the character is expressing something but I don't really see the design because of the pose.
    But please forgive me if I'm saying stupid things, I'm new to the CHOWs. I'm just trying to help, but maybe I'm epically failing at it
    And this CHOW looks special anyway, all allegoric and not necessarily about design.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo Ki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Redo

I went ahead and rethought my piece. Im using a Gladiator to embody the main feeling of Denver, which is its competitiveness, whether that is sports, fitness, or money. I imagined a almost Mythical Colossal figure as the embodiment Of Denver, ready to challenge anyone willing. It may be a stretch but it's fun.

As far as the Brief vs the Turn out thus far, I think people are pretty much on track. I love the Toons that are posted, but what makes them work is the humanoid features they are given, and as far as embodying a City, Im not sure if a building with eyes would dictate the emotion and atmosphere of the city. Not saying thats what your aiming for, but for a character its as much focus as it is personality and attributes, and I feel Giving "Character" to inanimate objects may fail to capture the essence of the city. This is my opinion but Rome is no more the Vatican as New York is a taxi cab. =) Just my 2 cents on the subject

Destiny is re-written daily. ~

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awwwwwwwwwww~some topic *__* I just have to participate, but I never thought my dream city would have almost been taken ;__; Avis, I took Munich, too. I love your idea of old lady Munich but I chose something different.

My Munich is a very pretty lady who is definitely a little bit snobbish and loves to party. But on the other hand, if you take the time to talk a little bit to her she can be really nice

Background is still random. For the costume I chose the traditional "Münchner Kindl" dress. The "Münchner Kindl" is a girl who's parents and grandparents are born in Munich

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I chose to do Tulsa, OK even though it might not be counted as a city to some standards. And it's not well known or anything. I might try my hand at something else. Really beautiful and fun ideas so far guys.

I was thinking young and growing city, still optimistic about everything. Built on a multi-cultural background and still manages to hold on to that as it looks to the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clochette, I really really looove what you have so far, I think you have the concept down perfectly - it's very beautiful and poetic - I can't wait to see it finished!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to druvid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's my first sketch up of my take on Amsterdam- went for the 'red light dstrict' hooker, with a few extra touches [ganja joint, lingerie with the city's flag motif, a set of laurels with tulips interwoven]

still not sure if she'll be like a pinup poster or waiting for her next paycheck in a showcase window.

Last edited by rinjii; June 2nd, 2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: shrank the file size

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another WIP for Addis Abeba. She always fights to protect herself and her children. She is Ethiopia's queen.

Ok enough of that. Made some headway, still have a ton more to add. Crits very much welcome and needed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick sketch of two concepts for my home-away-from-home, Saint Louis.

The first is more realistic - St. Louis is kind of depressed, but with a bit of hip-hop flare at his back. The second is the fantasy - St. Louis as a fun, 20s jazzman, out of date, but he's doing his own thing and he doesn't care.

If anyone's got comments, I'd love to hear them. Here are some for you:

Leo Ki: Nice! I like how your symbols integrate with each other.
    courtyard : This concept could be really cool, but it seriously creeps me out. The rendering is coming along nicely, though.
    AvisNocturna: I like her! Not sure what that left arm is doing, though.
    kingkostas: Nice design! I'm sure this is just because it's at the sketch stage, but the water falling from his hands reads like sand right now.
    darklogik: There's some weirdness going on with those shoulders. It's hard to tell between the pads and the horse head, but it looks like they're connecting to his body at chin-height. Also watch the difference in size and design between his calves. I like the idea of making a mythical embodiment of Denver, though.
    Felida: Looks good. I'd turn her head so she's not perfectly in profile.
    MJ_Alcazar: The jetpack's a bit too sci-fi, I think. I'm not sure what she's holding either. Otherwise, looking cool.
    rinjii: Resize before you post - it'll be easier to get a sense of the drawing if we can see the whole thing at once. About all I can tell you now is that the eyes are too big and it's flattening out her face.
    Ghostbrush: Really striking. But her costume looks more high-fantasy European than Japanese to me.
    AveOfSpades: Cute! I'd watch that the shoes don't become too hooker-y, but good idea with the platforms.
    ~baxter: Badass. I'd go for a more steampunk, old-tech arm rather than the current high-tech one. The way you have it now, it says Japanese Robot more than Pittsburgh Steel.
    SunRoamer: Ridiculous celebrity fashion. And ditch the sign in the background.
    Razorleaf: Watch her hands and feet, particularly the fingers and toes - they're all too small. The background might also be premature at this stage?
    Missile : That's very unsettling. I like it. Show us her face and we've got something.

Last edited by Phaethon; June 2nd, 2009 at 11:00 PM.

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Phaethon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this topic was just too damn good. I haven't had a chance to do much drawing in a while, but I just had to give this one a shot.

This is my hometown: Detroit. I wasn't sure what direction to go with this at first. At 308 Detroit is pretty old for an American City, and its been through a lot. Fires, Riots, racial politics, globalization...the list goes on and on and on. Basically its been like a slow motion Hurricane Katrina over the last forty years. Anyways, despite all this Detroit just keeps going on.

Name:  detroit 001.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  54.4 KB

I can already see a lot that needs improvement, but C&C is most welcome and appreciated.

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaethon View Post
    ~baxter: Badass. I'd go for a more steampunk, old-tech arm rather than the current high-tech one. The way you have it now, it says Japanese Robot more than Pittsburgh Steel.
    Thanks. Ironically, I wanted to avoid steampunk since I wanted to push old Pitt meets new Pitt, as one of Pittsburgh current top industries is robotics. Plus I wanted a more streamlined look

A few crits/comments for the night:

Ghostbrush: Like the color so far, maybe a bit more green/ blue-green in the bottom?
    mojokingbee: Keep it up, Diggin it so far.
    darklogik: Interesting idea so far. Perhaps you could throw in a bit more orange to match the mane.
    Leo Ki:Great work! Cant wait to see color
    AvisNocturna: Very interesting take on Munich!
    Felida: Nice work. I think you could push the snobbish part a bit more, but only a bit
    Razorleaf:Her face seems very flat.The bridge of the nose and brow should be very defined with your lighting and angle of the head
    Phaethon:Id like to see the second! I think you'd have more to work with and his premise is just plain fun.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~baxter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still very rough, overlaying some ideas onto what was just a boring figure. Istanbul is a city built on top of itself over and over again, literally in many parts, where modern building sit on top of Ottoman, those sitting on top of Byzantine, crowded together with the poor, rich, middle class.

Darklogic - When I saw the shoulders, Living on the east coast, any time Denver is mentioned here in the news, it's always to the backdrop of the Rockies, for some reason, it could be the newest hair transplant to a hairless lemur, or a meteor struck the capitol, it always has snow capped mountains.

Baxter- Where's the Mt. Washington incline tram?!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well damn, I really have to try to get in this week with New Orleans.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first sketch of San Francisco, doodled today. I wanted to evoke a sorta techno-pagan feel to the city, and evoke the past of the city, the activism and the culture, as well as stress the technology. I've got some notes on how I want to do this, since not all of it is in the sketch.

Past: Gold dust streaming from her braids. Stylised railroad tracks circling a drum. (Each of the three drums will probably have a sort of theme.)

Culture: The drums themselves (if you've ever spent a summer's afternoon in Hippie Hill in Golden Gate Park, you'd know why.) I'm pondering a sort of meditative posture instead of this floating one....something like a partial lotus position. You can't see it in this sketch because the scan faded out too much but she has three masks tied to her wrist, as well as various talismans representing the city's history.

Technology: She's wearing googles (kinda steampunky) has some techy tattoos, and one of the drums will probably reflect this theme as well.

Clothes: Some trailing bits which turn into fog.

Last edited by PixelFish; June 3rd, 2009 at 11:48 AM.
    she sings from somewhere you can't see ...

CA Sketchbook | My Art Blog

37. The Following User Says Thank You to PixelFish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, His shoulders are the rockys, I hope to have them more defined by finish, Thanks for the crits, final version will be better =)

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I guess I'm not very original in this, but it's election time here.
    I didn't wanted to post so early, but I was really wondering if I'll have any problem with this stuff, I mean, after I render it could get sort of nasty.
    So, is it ok?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to give some helpful crits/comments.

Darklogit – Feel that the composition can be much better. The pose is stiff and lack rhythm

Missile – The character looks very stiff. The anatomy needs work too.

pahavasa – His balance is off, he seem to be falling.

Clochette – Her left side of her face is bigger. It seem that the wind blew her dress to her right but her hair/smoke is blown to her left? But it is interesting

kingkostas –His left knee should be facing the same direction of his left foot.

Ghostbrush - Feel that her pose is quite stiff especially her legs.

Chance – The perspective of the painting (the one he’s painting) is off. Judging from the painting, the eye level is near the top but everything in it except for the painting stated that the eye level is slightly above the centre. Well, I am still a beginner in perspective, if I am wrong, please correct me.

Razorleaf – She’s lacking saturated halftone. Add some red in her. She’s missing a ear and the leg need some work.

PixelFish – She’s going to fall on her face.

Phaethon – The way the second man holds his trumpet looks uncomfortable.

tron-one – Her proportions of her arms are wrong. Her arms should be much longer.

MJ_Alcazar- Maybe her pelvis can be much bigger.

lennon – It’s ok but maybe the image can be bigger and you could render it more.

My website : CHOO3D

41. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IIKII For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rules?

As far as conduct, Are we aloud to use Re-drawn real logos in our work?

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ^ I dunno but i bet if there were something 'not allowed' it would be in the brief.

update !

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

44. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.