Thread: Seattle Living?

Thanks

Seattle Living?

Any Seattleites here?

How's the art/music scene? Any recommended districts to check out for living? How do you like it? I'm interested in relocating, visted before, perfect weather. (fer me anyways)

i'm a lurker with questions

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Depends on what you want. I live in Capitol Hill, which to use a San Francisco metaphor, is like mixing the Castro with the Haight--gay-friendly hood with lots of artists, restaurants, little funky shops, and a light rail stop in progress. You can walk downtown if you want, lots of transit.

Other hoods: Belltown - bit pricier, but smack right downtownish. Lots of frou-frou clubs and restaurants, plus some neat art galleries like Roq la Rue.

Queen Anne Hill-- I haven't spent much time here, and people say that it has a lot of older folks with money, but it does have pretty good transit and is a straight shot to downtown as well.

Fremont is another artsy community with restaurants and funky lofts. There's a statue of Lenin--salvaged from the erstwhile Soviet Union--and you can google "Fremont Solstice Parade" just to get an idea about the community.

Ballard - Lots of cute stuff here--a bit further than Fremont, and definitely across the bridges--about a half hour transit ride from downtown. Lots of condos now.

University District - Well, your average college area. Lots of stuff, lots of transit, but further out from downtown, and probably closer to requiring a car.

Greenlake - While transit is available, you are starting to get more into "need a car" territory. But the lake is awesome, and the shops in the area are neat. (Some nice gelatto places.)

That's pretty much all I can speak to....the further you get from downtown, the more likely you are to need a car. (And those are all in Seattle proper.) East side of Lake Washington has a lot of suburbs (Redmond, Kirkland, Bothell, Woodinville, Renton, Lynnwood, etc) but that's all need-a-car territory. (Still you can get buses--the bus system is extensive, but they just barely voted in the light-rail extensions.)
    she sings from somewhere you can't see ...

CA Sketchbook | My Art Blog

Thanks
    Thanks for the insight. How is the cost of living compared to San Fran? I looked at some places online, seems studios to 1 bedrooms run around $1000. (Also, uhm what are the laws on marijuana there? Is it decriminalized, yet?)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sundrunk View Post
    ... uhm what are the laws on marijuana there? Is it decriminalized, yet?)
    Welcome to the Lounge, I think you'll be very happy here.

Thanks
    I'm not super up on the legal status of marijuana here, not being a partaker myself, but I doubt it's as unrestricted as SF, where half my friends had doctor's cards.

Cost of living: depends on the hood. I'd say it's a bit lower, but not a lot lower. For example, we pay the same amount for a two bedroom apartment here that we paid for a single bedroom apartment in San Francisco, but about 250 less than a two bedroom apartment I had in SF. (The single bedroom apartment was in SOMA, the 2 bedroom in the lower Haight/Panhandle area. We get a parking space here, but did not in SF.) Parking is easier to get usually, and cheaper, but still problematic in some areas. You will undoubtedly want to factor in the car or lack of car.
    she sings from somewhere you can't see ...

CA Sketchbook | My Art Blog

Thanks
    Also if you get a little south of Seattle cost of living goes down a bit, sure you're then dependent on cars or buses, but y'never know.