Selflearning

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Selflearning

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Selflearning

Hi,

I've been a member of these boards for years and have really enjoyed the art.
    Now that I'm done with my studies and am working full-time as a mechanical engineer, I thought I should give learning to draw a shot.

I would like to learn it all, but figure drawing is what I'm mostly interested in.
    Rough figure sketches/studies make me drooll

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but what would be a good place to start such a query?
    What I've been doing today is try to sketch poses with as few lines as possible. I copied the poses from posemaniacs.
    Also, I have a copy of Hogharts Dynamic Anatomy, maybe that's a good place to start?

All suggestions are appreciated, thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Certainly more ways you can go about it, but from what I got out of trolling through different sketchbooks, a couple of names tend to pop up here and there and it is the drawing approaches of Andrew Loomis that will guide you with figure drawing. As well as Bridgmans' "complete guide to drawing from life" and Burne Hogarth's dynamic stuff. Well the list go on, but my own personal approach is usually find something that you have been avoiding to draw (for me that would be hands, feet, ears and noses) and start from there.

I hope any of that is helpful, congrats on your position. It might be nice to find a niche to marry your career and love of art. I'm thinking robocop-esque style.

Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi strings.

I've also heard good things about Loomis, will look more closely into that!
    I'm also looking the the free edition of Gray's Anatomy, and trying to draw some of that stuff..

As for combining my career with my love of art, I would need to turn love into ability and that might take a while

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re

I'd suggest The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards, draw from life and draw a lot. You should post some sketches to see how far a long you are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Bentley,
    I am using a Bridgman's complete guide to drawing from life. I also have some Loomis and Hogarth and use the online version of Gray's Anatomy.
    Going through that might take some time

As for posting sketches, is it OK for a total newbie like myself to start a sketchbook or is that only for users with a bit more experience?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Find a place that offers drawing from a live model, go there, and draw. I recommend this over any book you could ever read.

It is astounding how much you can learn from looking at the model, looking at your work, looking at the work of others, getting an occasional comment, overhearing and occasional comment, and thoughtfully and regularly applying yourself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Lizzybeth,

I'm sure that drawing from life is the best exercise, but I don't think I can fit that into my schedule. Books/internet then become the next best thing.
    I will see if I can catch a class this summer though
    Thanks for the input.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Feda,

I'm just curious, is art your passion? Why didn't you go into an art course?

Good luck to your self learning btw! I think it's better if you start drawing using books since most of the time they have explanations and such, so you'll be more prepared when you go to live drawing classes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Encompassky,

I love art, music and physics I almost went to a music academy, but decided that I wanted to keep it a hobby. As for art, I never really did any drawing/painting, I just enjoyed looking at it..
    I just want to learn a bit of drawing so that I can enjoy art even more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It doesn't even have to be an actual class. A lot of places offer open sessions with no instruction where people just pay for the day for the model, show up, and draw. And it's not uncommon for people to come late or leave early either.

If actual figure sessions simply wont work out then I'd recommend people watching. Bring a sketchbook and go to a cafe or other populated place to draw people. It's great for gestural work and communicating the essence, will get you noticing things quickly, and will also help you with speed and confidence in your mark making. Animals are also good to draw as they are living beings as well and you can learn things from drawing animals that will help you and carry over into figure drawing. And while it's not as exciting as figure drawing, I would recommend doing some still life work, especially for someone with as little experience as you say you have, because it is relevant. Self portraits aren't a bad idea either.

What I'm getting at basically is to do more than just work from books and pictures and do some work where you are looking at a real object that shares three dimensional space with you. Learning to look and see in real life is challenging because of the way your brain takes in and processes information in 3d space but will train you to understand it and communicate it with more fluency. It's a whole different ball game and much more difficult but at the same time richer and more rewarding.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I was at the airport today, I actually did some quick sketches of people passing by, drinking their cofee and such. They are only sketches consisting of three blocks and some single lines that represent the spine, neck, arms and legs. It's the way Bridgman teaches.
    The sketches are getting somewhat better and I'm able to capture the pose pretty quick without major errors.
    I think I will keep at this for a while and see how it evolves.

Thank you for your input Lizzybeth!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.