Sketchbook: Sketchbook of LAJones
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sketchbook of LAJones

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook of LAJones

Hey,

So at the suggestion of a coworker I've decided to start a sketchbook thread as I start to try my hand at 2D work.
    I find my illustrative and traditional art abilities to be lacking and figured this would be a good place to find some solid feedback.
    Back when I was in school I had a teacher who told me that I just wasn't a very good sketch artist.
    "Your hands are too big to hold pencils and pens, but your paintings are lovely."

I don't know if she was full of it or not...but I certainly feel more comfortable when working in a more gestural style.

Anyway, enough about me... On to some "art".
    This is really my first attempt at digital painting aside from a few exercises that I've done the past focused on extending photographs into matte paintings.

I did this in photoshop over the course of about an hour and a half. Since it started out as a "doodle" of sorts I didn't think to use the tablet and stylus and did it with the mouse.

I could not figure out how to properly make the cliffs blend into the sea, so I feel I cheated by using fog perhaps too liberally. Also...due to the blurry quality of the large forms, I feel as if any attempt to add small details came off as awkward (shipwrecks in the left corner).

Ive already started working on another piece to kind of build on this same environment from the perspective of someone looking down on the inlet from the top of the cliff on the right side of the image

I think that's it for now. I hope to populate this thread with some more work in the near future. Ill be using my tablet from now on and plan to take advantage of the greater control it affords...in spite of my large, unwieldy hands.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to see more of your artwork. The one of you have up is a bit too vague for me to get a real grasp of what you can do and what IS you. There isn't enough for me.

But you are going to post more right? Finish up this landscape? =P

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COMMISSION ME: Please read this: http://www.imaginetheending.net/?page_id=151.

Check out my website: http://www.ImagineTheEnding.net/

And my sketch book:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...agineTheEnding
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.