Anxiety and artists D: Help!! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anxiety and artists D: Help!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, to clarify a bit, i find seeking support , general advice and sharing stories etc a good use of forums.
    But playing along with Tom Cruze Scientology psychiatrists and drugs are the devil type talk to be really wrong.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing as how some people are coming in and chiming in about how some doctors are out to fleece people, I guess I'll throw in my personal experience:

My general physician is very anti-meds unless needed (mostly towards antibiotics, but also has that stance with pain killers and anti-depressants); same with my therapist.

She'd rather see me off my meds (or decrease the dosage at least) and taking vitamins and exercising regularly than coming in her office after a breakdown. She lets me determine if I want to see her once a month, once every two months, or whenever I feel like for general maintenance.

Depression runs in my family, a lot. I'm just one of the few who is doing something to treat it instead of drinking/popping pills/taking drugs/overeating/trying out anorexia for size/feeling like killing myself a few times a year :/

So yes, there are doctors out there who may try to swindle you, but there are doctors out there who actually want to help you get better, too. It's unfair to assume that the physician is out for pure monetary gain.

K J Dawson's KreativeWerks - my new daily sketch blog (more like almost-daily...)
    My DeviantARt page - some of my "finished" works; updated sporadically

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kjdawson80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it's different cultures. I didn't even know my doctor's name until I was 30 and if I mentioned getting a therapist... well, ironically I'd probably be sectioned.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
    So if you're not making money off it you are more qualified?
    Clearly, that's exactly what I meant.

So yes, there are doctors out there who may try to swindle you, but there are doctors out there who actually want to help you get better, too. It's unfair to assume that the physician is out for pure monetary gain.
    This. Although I would say it also isn't wise to assume that any given medical professional has your best interests at heart, either.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjerk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zaorr View Post
    Today people come out on the other side of the hoop with crutches, pills to make their sugar rize, fall, pills to controll their heart rate, pills to help them fart.. We did not need those just a few years ago but somehow we get convinced that we do.
    I didn't need the polls to control my heart rate a couple of years ago and the moment I can quit using them I will stop. At the moment my blood pressure is too high (150/95 while on beta-blockers) to quit.
    What happened a year ago is that my body went in overdrive because of stress and didn't calm down. So it was producing hormones just to produce hormones, causing my heart to beat too fast (110 in rest for several weeks).
    I tried the regular things I always do: relax, meditate, talk to people. But that didn't work out. I went to the gym which also helps. But instead of helping it gave me my first hyperventilation. And later this resulted in several panic attacks.
    My physician gave the pills to me because the condition can lead to serious problems and the alternatives failed.
    Those pills at least got my body somewhat back in tune so I can work with the damage caused over several years by an exhausting relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by zaorr View Post
    Problems never goes away by exloring expanding and really working on them, making volumes and volumes, T-shirts, web pages etc, they just sell alot of stuff,
    I'm biased about that statement.
    It's true problems don't go away by exploring or expanding them.
    But if something happened several times or went very wrong, it might be wise to see if there is an underlying cause. And that's not a blame game, more understanding what are the motivators for certain behaviour.

What I don't believe is that everyone in the psychology field is doing it for the money or to sell stuff. There is a push from the drug-industry, but I've not met any professional who told me that I should get on drugs to solve my problems.
    What I do believe is that people are getting more and more in a 'makeable world'. They think they should be happy and if they ain't they are not living life the way it's supposed to be. So taking drugs for that is ok to them to be happy. And this is a mindset that's easily used by the drug-industry. The same applies to the way people mutulate the body to look more attractive....

I've learned to live with depressions for at least 17 years now. Not every day, just episodes from a week to a couple of months with long intervals in between. No need to take drugs to fix that, I'm kinda ok most of the year.
    But the moment I can't function normal anymore, like with my heart rate problem which was draining my limited energy pool, I'm very willing to take medication. And I'm happy they are available, life is getting a small hell when your heart rate is at 110 for a while.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the_jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What exactly makes you nervous about drawing in public? Is there something that specifically bugs you about it?

You could pull out your iPod the first few times and slowly edge off it. (If you don't have one, buy cheap headphones and stick the loose end in a pocket). That prevents anyone from interacting with you until you feel a bit more comfortable. What I figured out over time was that people in public really don't care. Sure, what you're doing may strike them as unusual and if you're doing it badly it might catch their attention. But tomorrow? A week from now? They probably won't care enough to remember. It's an incredibly minor part of their lives.

Sometimes they'll want to start a conversation about how they could never achieve the perfection of Renoir though. Just slog through it.

As for psychiatrists, mine saved my life. She's also smart enough to kick me for starving myself so severely that I went delirious. Most doctors would have sent me out of their office with an antipsychotic. I think the holistic view typically isn't prominent in Western psychiatry.

On the anti-psychiatry front? I wonder how many of them have met severely mentally ill people. Are you going to tell the fifteen-year old whose hallucinations send her into life-threatening shock that the Seroquel's no good and she's being used? Or the guy who thinks he's pregnant with Jesus and believes he plays on six football teams? A diet change and low stress routine won't fix that alone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to anomily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjerk View Post
    This. Although I would say it also isn't wise to assume that any given medical professional has your best interests at heart, either.
    Yeah, I should have been a little clearer. There are good docs and bad docs - you just need to do the legwork to find out who's who, and stay with the good ones as long as you can. I've had some terrible experiences with doctors, too (which makes me appreciate my general physician so much more!).

K J Dawson's KreativeWerks - my new daily sketch blog (more like almost-daily...)
    My DeviantARt page - some of my "finished" works; updated sporadically

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kjdawson80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdawson80 View Post
    Yeah, I should have been a little clearer. There are good docs and bad docs - you just need to do the legwork to find out who's who, and stay with the good ones as long as you can.
    It might be wise to get a second opinion even if you have a good doc and only a mild condition.
    They can't know everything about every condition or treatment out there.

For example a friend of mine had an argument with her physician about her Metformin dose which she wanted to lower and her physician didn't want that.
    So she went for a second opinion with someone else.
    He examined her and said: "didn't you get treatment for the psoriasis on your elbows?"
    That was something my ex and her physician never considered. Just because of her medical history they both assumed that diabetes was the most obvious cause.
    A bit of medication and the spots were gone.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to the_jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawkfox View Post
    For each failed painting/sketch you make, your exp gets doubled.

Easily one of the best quotes I've heard.

Thanks for that.

Passion & Patience

If you've got a minute, a crit would be truly appreciated!
    My Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=268823

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.