Sketchbook: My first sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My first sketchbook

Belgium, possibly to live somewhere else in the future
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first sketchbook

I am since a long time registered, but never posted on this forum. This mainly because I kinda get lost here most of the time and well.. the fear of being a noob. Stupid reason I thought so myself and I need to get motivated again by getting critics, so I finally got over it and posted some work. There is more to follow, but I can't promise it will be on a daily basis.

Don't hesitate to criticize constructively and I will try my best to hang around and do the same. I struggle with colours and perspective views the most I guess, but any other hints and tips are also welcome of course.

In this post there are some life drawings, observational drawings (some from books), and imaginary ones.

One last thing, can someone tell me how I best use this forum, since I always get overwhelmed and tend to miss the useful and fun stuff.

Edit: had problems with uploading stuff, but there is more to come

Edit 2: Life drawing done with charcoal

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Draco Dralion; May 29th, 2009 at 05:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome! I'm fairly new and fairly lost and I have no advice to offer yet but... Post more drawings.
    I stalk 'em noobs. I mean, I watch their progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Leonor for this very first reply. As I promised I hereby post some more stuff. I will see your sketchbook as soon as I'm done here.

Edit: I didn't really say anything about the drawings below, so I'm adding this now:
    1) You will find that I kinda like big breasted naked woman, take it as a style issue. The line drawing was made in Painter and the colouring in Photoshop.
    2) Some still life skulls (imagine they would still move). First drawn on paper with a pencil, scanned in and Painted in Photoshop.
    3) This is my girlfriend and myself. Used a black and white picture as a reference. First time I made something descent with brush pens. Unfortunately the ink ran out quite quickly, if someone can give some advice about that to get rid of the lines and all.
    4) Life drawing sketches, a few minutes for each pose I think it was done in pencil.
    5) Done in painter, referenced from a drawing from a book (anatomy for artists or something it is called).
    6) The legs and arms are from the same book, this time done on paper with pencil. The torsos were from swimsuit showing things or whatever you call them, done on paper with a biro.
    7) Alice D. A concept for an Alice in Wonderland on drugs animation which I never made in the end. Maybe for the future. Done in Painter
    8) Dragon done in Painter. I know, flat on from the side, but I'm using it to model it in 3D.
    9) Mad hatter done in painter. My girlfriend is a cosplayer and wanted to go to a cosplay ball in London with me. I would be the mad hatter and she would be the bunny in Victorian style. We never went due to money and work issues.

Last edited by Draco Dralion; May 29th, 2009 at 04:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1) The line drawing of the coloured picture in previous post, done in Painter.
    2) This one is yet to be coloured, I like the pose of this one.
    3) Some life drawing with pencil.
    4) Some more life drawing with pencil.
    5) And some more life drawing, the one with the head is me, the heads on the right is from a model, in the middle left there are some facial parts referenced from a book and on the left bottom is all from pictures. All done with pencil.
    6) Some concept art, done with a biro.
    7) Trying out some poses for an archer in a tree, done in Painter.
    8) The final line drawing of the archer in a tree, done in Painter. I will probably colour this one in one day.

Sketchbook

Some advice would be nice

Don't take my advice too seriously, I'm just a newbie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive work. I think what you could work on is getting away from short, scratchy lines and trying to simplify the flow of your drawings. Look for the major shapes, angles and curves and try to capture those before narrowing in to work at the details.

Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Drin View Post
    Impressive work. I think what you could work on is getting away from short, scratchy lines and trying to simplify the flow of your drawings. Look for the major shapes, angles and curves and try to capture those before narrowing in to work at the details.
    This is more than true. Sometimes it works out just fine though. I have some good ones, but I still need to scan them, which will be for next week.
    Thanks for the comment!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like that you have lots of varied stuff to show. I love the dragon and those biro poses. The final archer seems to be missing a breast though? Was it on purpose or is are lines tangent and I can't see it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya thanks for dropping by, btw very nice lines!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Leonor: Thanks, and the archer is missing a breast indeed. I've heard once that Amazons cut one off in order to use the bow better.
    krytos: Thanks, and you're welcome.

Some new drawings:
    1) My brothers girlfriend was pregnant when I drew this one. Done in Painter.
    2) Not quite finished, and need some adjustments (the legs for one are too short). Done in Painter.
    3) Apart from breasts I also love long hair. Done in Painter.
    4) Life drawing with pencil (tilt your head).
    5) This is not a pretty picture, but I added it because it was drawn with my left hand. Apparently this shows how good you are in observing and proportions. Done with pencil.
    6) One of them is not from real life observation, can you tell? For those that really can't tell, it's the bottom right one, which is referenced after a drawing from Robert Crumb. All done with my biro.
    7) This one was my first attempt for the Amazon archer. I liked it, but wanted more action in the pose. This one is done with biro.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have great Observational and Rendering skills. I think you will agree with me that your drawings from imagination aren't going the way you wanted it to go? If so, I have that same problem. Everyone just tells me to keep drawing. And I have. But what would be even better advice = Keep drawing what you love to draw and look up references that you really like.

Also, although I have heard this so many times, I just recently actually applied it to my new drawings. I think that the most important part of the drawing is the very beginning phase. I spend the majority of my time sketching and erasing and measuring my proportions. I try not to do any kind of detailing until I am absolutely happy with the sketchy lineart. Then I would darken in the medium tones and go from there. But, yeah.. If there is anything that I would like to tell you, it would be to focus your energy at the very beginning.

Hope that helps!! Gratz on making ur first Sketchbook. I hope it as exciting as you thought it would be.

Live life, Live love, Love life, then die -- SaiVix

I would really love some honest critiques and improvements suggestions

Renewed Study - I'm drawing again!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=133377

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL @ Robert Crumb. He's so pervy.
    I read your description before I saw the drawings, but I would have guessed.

I didn't know about the amazons. How would they do that without anesthetic? The scar should definitely show more.

I'm glad to see more of you. I like your life studies, specially the depressed man in the bench, and that pregnant lady is lovely, even if there are anatomy incorrections, it's a beautiful drawing. You have a certain uniqueness going on already. Make sure when you build up on the foundations you don't destroy that. My art all looks like Bilal gone a bit Loomis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since my girlfriend is ill, I am not sure how long I'm going to stay at her place. What this practicly means for my sketchbook is that I'm not able to scan some stuff I drew the last few days. Not that this is a bad thing, hence the quality of the drawings (they suck). Therefore I'm just going to post a few quick sketches I did in photoshop for a project I'm working on (while you're there, give me some advice will you ).

Here they are:

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darn, forgot to thank some people in my previous post, so lets do it now:

SaiVix: Double true. My imaginary stuff is indeed not as good as I would like. But I know that is because I didn't observe enough yet. And that's why I keep on trying. I've been a bit sloppy the last few months, even year, since I don't have to draw for uni anymore (I hate looking for a job btw). That's why I decided to start this sketchbook and together with the critics from you people try to stay motivated. And I must say, it helps a lot, so thank you for this big time.
    Other truth is that the foundation of a drawing is so important. I started this thread here: Some advice would be nice. Had some great help already and it keeps on coming.

Leonor: I guess you're my first chain-visitor or whatever you call such people. Thanks for that, as you probably know, it's a great help.
    About the Amazon's breast, I would definitely have to look up some references for the scar, no clue how it should be. This is something I really should do a lot more for most of my drawings.

Now for my drawings of today. These were all done with my biro Except of the last two (pencil and charcoal). What I really like about them is that they are drawn on A2-format (594 x 420 mm). Because of this size I couldn't scan them, so I took pictures. Unfortunately that didn't do any good to the quality, but it's better than nothing. For anyone that hasn't tried big paper I really recommend doing so. Better than these standard sketching books imho.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for commenting on my SB and such!

1. I do want to get back into using the Biros. I am just at the moment in my life where I am reformatting my way of drawing. I wanted to start of from scratch. After I feel that I accomplish my goal in Pencils, I will start using the Biro again. I can't wait though! I have all these new ideas for it too. I wrote it down just in case I forget.

2. I totally agree with you about drawing on larger paper. I just recently bought a Bristol Board book. Its like 14" x 17". I will draw on that, after I finish with a drawing that I am currently in. This is also part of my renewed studies that I am forcing myself to do. I had it planned out. Good catch though. I think only 1 other person suggested this to me.

3. Heheheh I love girls. They way they look. The way they act. The way they smell. They way they feel... They are truly the most beautiful of all the animals on this world. Most of my inspiration comes from the females that I know and love.

Live life, Live love, Love life, then die -- SaiVix

I would really love some honest critiques and improvements suggestions

Renewed Study - I'm drawing again!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=133377

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.