Chow 160 :: VOTING :: Erica, Zombie-Slayer - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Who's got red on them?

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8 3.57%
  • 48 21.43%
  • 37 16.52%
  • 20 8.93%
  • 10 4.46%
  • 28 12.50%
  • 11 4.91%
  • 4 1.79%
  • 58 25.89%
  • 38 16.96%
  • 56 25.00%
  • 1 0.45%
  • 11 4.91%
  • 3 1.34%
  • 9 4.02%
  • 84 37.50%
  • 2 0.89%
  • 1 0.45%
  • 2 0.89%
  • 7 3.13%
  • 19 8.48%
  • 14 6.25%
  • 17 7.59%
  • 21 9.38%
  • 55 24.55%
  • 3 1.34%
  • 5 2.23%
  • 4 1.79%
  • 15 6.70%
  • 6 2.68%
  • 37 16.52%
  • 166 74.11%
  • 2 0.89%
  • 18 8.04%
  • 25 11.16%
  • 1 0.45%
  • 8 3.57%
  • 2 0.89%
  • 19 8.48%
  • 21 9.38%
  • 26 11.61%
  • 32 14.29%
  • 17 7.59%
  • 1 0.45%
  • 24 10.71%
  • 10 4.46%
  • 4 1.79%
  • 6 2.68%
  • 10 4.46%
  • 6 2.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyKitten View Post
    Posh, you need to stop taking your own images out of the poll!
    D:<

You're too talented to be the martyr all the time!!
    I'm not being a Martyr, believe me I'd like it to go in, but I'm always reminded of that thing on side of cereal packets when the manufacturers run a competition: Families of employees of company x are not allowed to enter competitions run by company x. It only seems fair that if I have to cut people who can't make it for reasons such as number of submissions, the organisers go first.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bleah, very late. This is why not having any internet connection at home sucks. In any case, I'll just be posting what I've accomplished. And as for those who got in, great works everyone. Will start voting now.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jie Kageshinzo; June 1st, 2009 at 11:54 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jie Kageshinzo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Darklogic and S.C. Watson ( A little Ellen Ripley perhaps?). Markus' piece was equally good, I could see this little babushka Erica sloughing down some St. Petersburg sewer blasting zombies in the face .

I wish I had paid attention to my files, here I am looking at the one I put up named Erica.jpg and then right next to it Chow160_reymus.jpg. It's a lesson.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posh I appreciate your comments. I've been learning a lot just by attempting the weeklies and reading all the critiques. There is so much talent to learn from.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ghostbrush: solid entry, great action sequence and love the palette you’ve adopted for this piece.
    ArthemisIX: great take on Erica, love the outfit, nice alleyway sequence too, strong brooding atmosphere you got happening here.
    Darklogic: love the rendering detail you’ve got on Erica, and a well set environment to boot :p
    Desmayado: wow, that’s one big ass axe! Nice manga anime style you got happening.
    Hungryan: heheh, cool illustrative style on Erica, reminds me alittle of Shane Glines style.
    Matt Smith: she looks like one badass chickita, lovely rendering style you’ve got
    Matthew Campbell: Wow she looks hot, but she looks like she belongs in a james bond flick, hubba hubba. Love your style man, sweet as.
    Meon: nice stylization on this one, maybe some blood splatter on the car or on her clothes to mess things up alittle, afterall it is the zombie apocalypse.
    Phuzion: hahaha, coffee in one hand, bat in the other, very smhick!... and love the leather pants.
    Pixelturner: love the chaos you got happening in this scene, maybe holding a bat instead of an umbrella would’ve been a better choice. None the less, love your rendering style mate.
    Puppykitten: wow, love the soft pastel rendering style of yours. Def got my vote. Nice snappy action sequence too.
    Renarh: Her head seems to be cropped off in the final piece, which makes for awkward framing. Maybe should’ve lowered the shot a little to get her fully in shot, or painted extra on top. Nice take on Erica though.
    Sidharth Charturedi: Big back pack, heheh, and really cool outfit on character.
    Sulk-Sal: Sweet stylization for this piece, maybe ramping up the colours alittle in the sky would’ve really popped this piece. Nice entry.
    Artofinca: lovely texture work on the bg, and a nice strong mood piece too, can tell she’s completely alone.
    Openaneworld: Dang Herman, nice one mate, love the amount of chaos you managed to squeeze into this piece. Strong solid composition too, very swish man

Think i voted like crazy for this round... anyhoo will see if i get time later to give more feedback. Awesome round peeps.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rodimus25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, i'm just glad i got to the poll, thanks for the votes so far. i already beat my 3 vote record, woo hoo!

i voted for-

KUGU- Definitely a zombie slayer! i like the utility belt, feels like it's something someone would really put together. the scissors made me lol.

Openanewworld- what i see when i think "erica, zombie slayer", my idea on steroids. so much great detail as well,

markusthebarbarian- completely original and totally believable.

Dimagyan- i just think this is a really fun concept, and i can imaging seeing this character in action. and that bird is Great!

and i almost voted for a couple more but i wanted to narrow it down. so, special mention to Phizion, Darklogic, Desmayado, and matt smith.

and there were a few that just didn't say zombie slayer at all, just a chick with a gun, or chick in underwear with a gun.

Cosmitron, it's an awesome painting, but it's not what i see when i think of a zombie slayer. it's just a lady that had to kill her zombie fiance to save her life. my idea is that Erica actively hunts and slays zombies. she's not just a survivor. sorry to pick on you, looks like you'll win anyway.

ps- sorry if i spelled any of your usernames wrong, read them off your submissions.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bangalore_monkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    I'm not being a Martyr, believe me I'd like it to go in, but I'm always reminded of that thing on side of cereal packets when the manufacturers run a competition: Families of employees of company x are not allowed to enter competitions run by company x. It only seems fair that if I have to cut people who can't make it for reasons such as number of submissions, the organisers go first.
    On that note, you should have held mine for the same reason. I've pulled it, and you can slip in someone who got held if you'd like. It's not too late yet for whomever to still get some votes.

~S

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for
    Grandmassa Mr. Spect, thats a great scene, nice lights and colors and all, and the raw finishing adds a good mood
    Cosmitron, the best illustration, even from the earlier lines
    Rodimus25, that's the kind of action and attitude that I was looking for
    Beastmaster Fred, has the best zombie, and its a very good image overall (if you ignore the text... which I do)

Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    Blau – This is full of energy and life, but there are some anatomy issues going on, particularly with the positioning of the head and the torso, but you were really close!
    Thanks for the crit, it helps more than going to the poll

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blau For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Watson View Post
    On that note, you should have held mine for the same reason. I've pulled it, and you can slip in someone who got held if you'd like. It's not too late yet for whomever to still get some votes.

~S
    Me plz...seems a shame to have been cut because I didn't name something correctly...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bangalore_monkey View Post
    Cosmitron, it's an awesome painting, but it's not what i see when i think of a zombie slayer. it's just a lady that had to kill her zombie fiance to save her life. my idea is that Erica actively hunts and slays zombies. she's not just a survivor. sorry to pick on you, looks like you'll win anyway.
    Hmm, well there are several pics (including mine) that went for another interpretation, of an earlier erica, just after the zombies attack, before she becomes the full geared and seasoned slayer. I think its just as valid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blau View Post
    Hmm, well there are several pics (including mine) that went for another interpretation, of an earlier erica, just after the zombies attack, before she becomes the full geared and seasoned slayer. I think its just as valid.

you're right, it's totally valid, just not what i was looking for personally.

just trying to define why i voted for who i voted for.

i just think that to portray the character, it should be obvious that she's a slayer. you could technically draw Erica the day before the zombie apocalypse if you wanted.

but that's just my interpretation of the character and what she should be. again, sorry to be specifically calling out Cosmitron.

Last edited by bangalore_monkey; June 1st, 2009 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth Cochrane View Post
    Me plz...seems a shame to have been cut because I didn't name something correctly...
    Garth, there were three others who were cut aside from yourself because of failure to follow the naming convention.

Please make sure you follow it in future rounds

Best,
    ~S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problems!

AhChu is offline Be not afraid of learning slowly, be afraid of standing still. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work everyone on their entries, was wicked to see your guys finals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Puppykitten, to bad i named it wrong, well i guess i wont do that again! ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bangalore_monkey View Post
    i just think that to portray the character, it should be obvious that she's a slayer. you could technically draw Erica the day before the zombie apocalypse if you wanted.
    Not the same. You cant be a zombie-slayer if there are no zombies. I guess we disagree on what being a slayer entails. It doesn't really matter, its about getting better and having fun anyway

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cosmitron, Sekino, and Demigyan all had that little something extra that made them my favourites. In Sekino's piece, I think it's the surprised look on the decapitated zombie's head. Demigyan: loved the brain speech bubble. Cosmitron has a great combination of character and matching environment. (I know this isn't enviro of the week, but I like it when characters seem to fit their environs.)

Vote for a couple of other folks too: Puppykitten's tones knock me out. Liked the non-conventional style of hungryan (?) and DarkLogic's (?) blood soaked sign also stood out.

she sings from somewhere you can't see ...

CA Sketchbook | My Art Blog

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PixelFish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats a nice round!

I voted for Arthemis, DESMAYADO, Phuzion, ostrander, cosmitron

Ghost brush: i like the mood but she is not a zombie slayer to me, she seems casual killer.

Arthemis: she is caring very hand to fight kind of tools which suggests that she slays them very closely, but her wardrobe seems to clean. good job though. voted for you

Darklogik: nice illustration.

DESMAYADO: I liked the 2d feel kind of vibe from this, she can join team fortress if they want to slay zombies. voted for you

Hungryan: Humor is good, but you need to push your styling. I mean her legs are stiff to me. you need more flow in your composition.

Matt Smith: Nice rendering, she seems too clean and generic. But i loved your design from finish point of view.

Mather campbell: Her legs seems broken and she is too clean for zombie slayer.

Meon: Congrats on getting in poll, use ref next time. that's painful to bend her ankle like that.

Phuzion: hey ma man, cool stuff shes is chill, voted for you

Pixel tuner: Great stuff, entertaining.

Puppykitten, innocent kills the cat, and shes is cute. very nice illustration.

Ranarth: Congrats on getting in poll, her knee bend is strange!

sidharth chaturvedi: her back pack seems too heavy for her to carry and kill the zombies. thats my thought. good job

Skull-sal: I think she is missing a sharp highlight which can define her silhouette even more, good job

artofinca: "oh what i have done this can't be happening" is she saying this? I liked the different point of view you did from others of just slaying. good job.

openanewworld: she is as happy as a pig in the mud. born to slay, great great stuff.

pierropod: Congrats on getting in poll, don't make muscles too hard.

quantumrat: her weapon seems good , its very hard to run with that kind of clad(skirt?) on her legs. she might get in trouble.

angle intheuk: midget? if not then her head is too big with proportions of her body.

Englishduke: its hard to get the topic from your illustration.

jailhouserock2: hey the zombies are down there, where is she looking hello? may be some more zombie out the, okay i got it. good job.

CYC: Ouu, determined!!

emerging: i liked the humor.

Markusthebarbarian: she looks like a guy to me. wheres the erica?

ostrander: zombie lol you loved this topic for sure? awesome illustration! voted for you!

aquidmonk3j: i can't say she is a zombie slayer. may be its just me!

LKJHGFDSA: I liked your alias name. "LKJHGFDSA".

migsta: your camera angle is to high for such a moment.its not very dynamic as the moment you captured.

Avisnocturna: french? polka dots? i liked the stage setting.

revenebo: acrobat that's awesome.

beastmasterfred: quite sell-able.

cosmitron: your are the winner i am for sure! that's awesome and different! congrats. voted for you!

Lanthegeek: Congrats on getting in poll, odd proportions for a female figure.

icemoon: nice alias name. colors are nice.

Kugu: good job! her right legs seems too bulky.

nick trip: Congrats on getting in poll.

Phaethon: Congrats on getting in poll.

Auren: i really liked the wardrobe.

Rodimus: kind of metal gear solid.

tommoy: she can really make a nice cast for a movie. zombie slayer bride the erica.

sekino: with such a dynamic pose she is still as stiff as the letter L. i like the humor though.

grandmassamrspect: what's so dark on her underwear? that's scary.

bangaloremonkey: good job, i liked the passenger kind of feeling to her.

crowsrock: nice weapon, she needs a feminism twist to her torso though, just a bit.

dimagyan: her side kick rocks.

dirkvandulmen: nice expression.

leuparaleu: generic!

pahavasa: hmm, blade's sister?

nightblue: her pose suggest that she is going to cut there head and there heads are already cut, bit confusing to me. good job though. congrats.

27. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice work everyone,

I voted for
    Pixeltuner : Really nice, I like the mood in it
    Openanewworld : I think it's my favorite
    BeastmasterFred : Really nice composition, lights, and colors, great job !

Well they were other really nice entries too :

Cosmitron : Hmmm... a lot to say, actually it's an awesome illustration, nice angle, nice brushwork, nice lights... in fact everything so well done ! (then why didn't I voted ?!)
    I didn't voted because she's suppose to be angry (that's why she's a zombie slayer right ?) and in your work I feel like she's scared, she looks more like a prey rather than a slayer. I dont know if you understand what I mean ? anyway wonderfull work !

Ostrander : Well she looks really angry, actually mad, I don't know why I didn't voted for you ?! Posh is it possible to add my vote for ostrander ?

Now to answer to the comment of sony :

I dont know, really, I just wrote a comment yesterday night in the other thread, and I was trying to explain that not all the people in the world are "pretty", I mean havent you seen obese people getting married, or having a job ?!?
    Comon man go outside take a walk, and tell me, don't you see women that scares you more that some men, or some men looking like women ?
    Or maybe a fat women cant get a marriage proposal, or even get a job ?! (I think everyone is going to think I'm a fat guy that can't even walk, haha !)

I think many off us live too much in the TV/Game world, where everything is actually sooo fake ! Heroes are attrative, Vilains are ugly !
    I think our job is to try to do something different, and to try to get out of the cliché.
    Well anyway, that was what I had in mind sorry for my bad english...

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Tarrisse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing. My favourites:

OpenANewWorlds
    Grandmassa mr Spec
    JailHouserock2
    Cosmitron

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KonnA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cosmitron. Your submission is so good, on reflection. I love everything about it, the smallest things in the picture add so much. Just the fact she is wearing a KISS t-shirt. Adds so much humour (for me) and the scratched off slayer sticker. Absolute gold, loving your piece!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to KonnA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't noticed it was "angry Erika slayer". Next time I'll read the character specifications more carefully
    Seriously my purpose was, things are not always what they seem. But I'm torn apart. If I did it straight as the clichés I had in mind wouldn't it be too much er.. cliché? on the other side, If I hadn't done it cliché wouldn't I missed the job?
    All in all, it's been a great pleasure doing it, cliché or not, and every comment is priceless.

Anyway:
    Desmayado>Nothing but the right thing. Couldn't resist.
    Hungryan>what a snob! Love it. Couldn't resist.
    Matthew Campbell>there's something so moody in your Erica. Ok she could also be a russian agent double killer. Anyway, I liked it.
    Phuzion>That's a 30 year old girl. Couldn't resist.
    PuppyKitten>Couldn't resist 16 or 30. Panties appeal I guess. But I'm just too stupid to hit the blank square for vote. When I realized it was far too late.
    Openanewworld> isn't it obvious?
    Englishduke> It's still makes me laugh. Could NOT resist.
    Cyc>well that's it.
    Markusthebarbarian>Well OK. She looks angry enough for a vote.
    Kugu> I just love the dressing story telling.
    Tommoy> Too bad I'm a noob. I just missed your post! You should have my vote
    bangalore_monkey>that's it.
    Dimagyan>aaaah! The 80's.
    Poshspice> You should have had my vote. twice.
    ThaDeus> Where the F is your post?!!

Last edited by Cosmitron; June 2nd, 2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Too much noob to write it all in one post.
    Blog
    You can take the man out of the eighties but you can't take the eighties out of the man.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cosmitron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote from PuppyKitten - [Angel_Intheuk: Your style took a few minutes to grow on me, but I really like it. The colors and lines work well with your brushstrokes. Great job!] - Thank you very much - I realise I have a bit of wierd style, still experimenting and trying to refine it, but your comment gives me hope

Quote from Sony - [angle intheuk: midget? if not then her head is too big with proportions of her body.] - yeah I know, I did resize her head and then opened up the wrong line work and coloured that one in, didn't realise til I finished...anyway the model was my mate Erica who is a bit of a midget (well 5' exact so not quite )

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for comments - another enjoyable round, learned so much again and I feel honoured to have made the cut

I voted for way too many:
    Arthemis: Great Concept man, brilliantly executed and love her knife belt. I did think though that her right foot had been bitten off, it's not too obvious at first it's her shoe, that's the only crit, nice work all round!

Icemoon: Funny and smart! I really love her outfit and you do great gore!

Bangalore: Loved the 70's grindhouse poster feel and her expression is funny, as well as the hand on the bat..excellent

JailhouseRock2: I really like the pose in this one and your rendering is nice - good bit of action there.

Sekino: Love it! it's so different - I think everything about it is slick, and the graphics on her leg is a nice touch

openanewworld: Excellent! totally Frank Frazetta - love it! your line art is gorgeous too, couldn't take my eyes off it.

lkjhgfdsa: I like the mood - the pose is dramatic without being over done and she looks like she'd kick some ass..she also looks familiar but can't put my finger on it.

Cosmitron: Brilliant - you nailed it, couldn't not vote for you. the atmosphere is spot on, feels creepy but realistic and I love the little details in the foreground. Her expression is probably what I'd look like if I was in that situation, despair mixed with 'what the F just happened?'

Pixeltuner: Love the tense action going on here, liked it from the first sketch - her colour coordination is sharp! nice job

Desmayado: Great Stylization - she totally fits the executive/pissed off/now I kill zombies quota for me

Dirkvandulman: Total fan of your style - the details are so cool and well drawn + I like her new facial expression

CYC: Glad you made it in...Great job! The atmosphere is just dripping with menace, looks like a still from a film/movie.

Puppykitten: Gorgeous style as always everything looks quite calm because of the grey which contrasts nicely with the action..

didn't make it but would have voted:
    Thadeus: Love the style - her weapon is so cool, I had a total blank on homemade weaponry and then saw yours and wish I'd thought of it - she could have done with looking more peed of though.

poshspice: I immediately thought of Fergie from Planet Terror! - she looked more exec with the glasses on I think I prefer that version. But still you rock!

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Angelintheuk: I did think though that her right foot had been bitten off, it's not too obvious at first it's her shoe
    Haha you know I tried to fix that but I guess it still wasn't clear enough Thanks for the vote though!

My vote went to Cosmitron, the perspective and atmosphere is so fresh and original, it really stands out. I like the fact that there is no bright red blood anywhere, unlike in most of the other drawings (including my own)

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Martheart For This Useful Post:

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darklogic had my vote this time around. I thought it was very well rendered. I love the background and the fact that it keeps to a lighter side of gore than many of the others. Very Nice

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Razorleaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    House keeping note: Dawnusllaw was selected to take my place in poll. Five comp votes for being added late were given.

Best,
    ~S

44. The Following User Says Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    a nice variety of variations...good stuff

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    THANKS EVERYBODY for make'n WICKED' ZOMBIE' KILLERS all yall RRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Desmaydo, PuppyKitten, and Cosmitron

Well done everyone. Who'd have thought Zombie slayers would have made such a turn out? Wow :p

“It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerahla For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1