Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts

Massive Black's Transient

Some of you may have seen this posted in coros graphic novel thread. For those who have not:

http://transientman.com/index.php

Massive Black Entertainment has seven worlds which it has been creating over the past few years. We work solely on project foundations as we build out our worlds and are finally beginning to show the lot of stuff on Transient, which Coro is director.

Would love to hear what you think!

Enjoy,

Jason

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    intense artwork! this is what comics should be shooting for =D
    Look forward to reading this when I get home from work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
i fucking love coro's paintings

edit* great work by everyone ofc... i like the 3D clip a lot too
Last edited by Dile_; May 26th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks
    Been following some of Coro's work on this, and I just love it. Didn't know about the site, haven't checked up the continuation in a while, but damn, looks great.

Bookmarked right away.
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    such an amazing amount of work, it's shocking. O__O

Thanks
    Coro knows what I think of this massive workload he has taken on. Bloody amazing! One of the only threads that get me excited to view any updates.

haha! Goodies section!
    My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

Currently for hire as freelancer!]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Yup, loved it since I first saw it.

Great art and just as importantly I liked the story.

Going off to read the updates now.

Thanks
    When i first saw it i loved it, but it´s being great to see how much more were done by now. And Holly cow, when you finish page 39 and turns to the next... What a laugh!! Huahuahuahua!!!!
    My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

Thanks
    Truly AMAZING work!! Some of that concept art I hadn't seen before! What a treat!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    It's been a great thread in the finally Finished and it's cool that it has its own site now. The story is great, the humor is well done, with some cool themes and ideas.

Jason, might you care to expand on the 7 worlds of Massive Black a bit? I didnt realize that there was a mappable Massive Black Universe.

Thanks
    I absolutely love the idea behind this story! I bet Coro is having a whale of a time! I love the fact you can get new ideas for characters just by walking down the street.
    I myself love creating characters from the public too. I'm constantly looking at people and seeing what I can turn them into.

The story is solid, this is gonna be huge

Keep at it!

Rich
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    I'm reading it myself right now, images are conveying the story rather successfully. Ill keep reading, seems interesting so far.....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    This is AWESOME! Will this eventually become a film or a video game or something?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Holy fuck.

I can't believe you just gave away the graphic novel like that. Not even a small advertisement to support it? You guys could be making a killing...

What the fuck?

There's going to be a hard cover copy I could buy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by German-s View Post
    intense artwork! this is what comics should be shooting for =D
    ^THIS.

LIKE.

SRSLY.

There aren't enough creators out there that are treating their art like... Art.

It's just pencil. lineart. color. letter. DC and fucking Marvel bullshit. Coro treats every page like a fucking painting. I LURVE IT.
    Last edited by velderia; June 9th, 2010 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    I've been following it for a while. The art work is incredible and Coro's work ethic is even more amazing.

It's certainly inspired me to just say "fuck it" when it comes to my own hesitations in getting my own ideas off the ground.

Also, count me among those who'd love to see this in print and who wants to be able to have it in their hands.

• The Following User Says Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Beautiful, i have seen most of this works, but always nice to watch it all again

M

Thanks
    The graphics were great, but the writing knocks it down a few pegs. It seems very simple and contrived.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    Holy fuck.

I can't believe you just gave away the graphic novel like that. Not even a small advertisement to support it? You guys could be making a killing...
    Well to be fair, it ends with a cliffhanger. He hasn't given away the whole story yet.

But I agree that the artwork is incredible. Hopefully this'll elevate comics as art and a storytelling medium to a whole new level. Right now it has a bit of a reputation to be the "junkfood" of storytelling: easy to produce, easy to consume but very little substance. Hopefully that'll change.

Also, loved the 3D clip art.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    This is AWESOME! Will this eventually become a film or a video game or something?
    Some pages are storyboards of both a game and a movie, so I'm fairly sure it's at least something he's been thinking of.
    Last edited by Armonah; September 28th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks
    Oh sweet, it's been updated. No time to read it now, this kind of comic needs to be read slowwly.

I'm trying to figure out what the other 6 worlds are. I'm assuming one of them has something to do with that trippy 'mothman'.

All google tells me about mothman is that it is apparently slang for someone who likes to smoke mothballs.

It also turned up this kick-arse moth.
    Massive Black's Transient
    (deaths-head moth)

I've got a feeling that there was a character called 'big man' in that universe. But i'm too scared to google "Big man massive black"
    Last edited by karma militia; June 9th, 2010 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    Holy fuck.

What the fuck?

There's going to be a hard cover copy I could buy, right?

^THIS.

LIKE.

SRSLY.

There aren't enough creators out there that are treating their art like... Art.

It's just pencil. lineart. color. letter. DC and fucking Marvel bullshit. Coro treats every page like a fucking painting. I LURVE IT.
    I SUPERSECOND this, esp. the bit about the art quality.

But not without some opinions...

I'll agree with modi123 on the writing, based on what little we've seen. This only looks like the very beginning, the tip of the iceberg, so I'll bet that Coro as yet to show us what this is all about--but so far, the protag having powers to develop, him being a chosen one, the general plot reasons he has for getting himself from one location to another (uh, does anyone get what I mean?), and the villain having such a stereotypical villain personality is a little too familiar for my taste. I'd personally love it if the good-and-evil sides turn into a huge mess of grey, but that's less criticism and more like my bias.

I would have also added in the part about a select fraction of humans being able to see stuff, because that doesn't sound new either, concept-wise, but wow the monsters themselves are just too awesome to really complain about. I also appreciate the main cast being old people, because I really have not seen this age range when it comes to action!adventure!power-developing! stories before. Yadda yadda, concept art and character designs are awesome, yadda yadda...

Also, I thought Bob would be the only human capable of seeing the monsters? Maybe I missed something and didn't read carefully, but I'm not sure I understand why there are, instead, a group of people who can see them.

I disagree with Armonah on the textballoons and typefaces. I rather like how simple and flat they are. I think it's a good contrast to the illustrations, because otherwise the whole page would just look too busy to me. Having a simple, flat text area is a relief for my eyes. I dunno, it floats my boat.

On a last note, I also wonder whether the time-gap between volumes released would be way too long, if this were published in hard-copy and serialized.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by modi123 View Post
    The graphics were great, but the writing knocks it down a few pegs. It seems very simple and contrived.
    Oh I don't agree, I think the writing is spot on, no more is said than is needed

Absolutely gorgeous artwork and the cliffhanger had me chomping at the bit, can't wait to read the updates Bloody nice work guys! and thanks for giving us a free look even though it's better than a hell of a lot of crap out there.

Thanks
    My god, Transient Man is absolutely brilliant. A hard cover would be excellent, although being broke as I am, it's fantastic to enjoy this for free.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by karma militia View Post
    Oh sweet, it's been updated. No time to read it now, this kind of comic needs to be read slowwly.

I'm trying to figure out what the other 6 worlds are. I'm assuming one of them has something to do with that trippy 'mothman'.
    Mothman and Rustwomen make a brief appearance in this story already. I'd only seen them completely out of context as animation samples on the Massive Black site. It was touching to recognise them and see a glimps of their nature.

Absolutely fantastic artwork Coro! I love that I'm still questioning if it's just the drug enduced adventures and ramblings that any hobo could claim to experience on a daily basis.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashed_Pumpkin View Post
    I love that I'm still questioning if it's just the drug enduced adventures and ramblings that any hobo could claim to experience on a daily basis.
    The story reminds me of Phil Dick's 'We can remember it for you wholesale' in that respect.