Chow 160 :: Erica, Zombie-Slayer - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Chow 160 :: Erica, Zombie-Slayer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Almost there.

Thanks for all the feed back so far! Used what I thought was best for the piece.

Ill try to give crits of my own tomorrow.

Would love one last round of feed back and maybe some elements this piece could use to tie it all together more if there is anything.

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Destiny is re-written daily. ~

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darklogik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WOW all yall are RAD'

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on mine, hopefully finish it this afternoon

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostbrush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ghostbrush - reminds me of heavenly sword for some reason, must be the hair.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    soooo much awesome stuff going on here!
    im stunned :|

here's my try at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    got no more to spend on this so its finished i guess

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostbrush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Emerging and Cosmitron – Nice dynamic angles, and hilarious depictions! Color and form is developing nicely.

Migsta – Love the interaction between the figures! As well as the use of silhouette/ blood. Very clever!

Englishduke – the color is developing very nicely.

openanewworld – love the foreboding variations and pose explorations.

Arthemis IX – that background looks amazing and really suits the gesture of the character well.

Markusthebarbarian – it is so much fun watching this piece develop! However – and its probably just me – but it feels like the background wall is a little too close to the figure –

darklogic – absolutely beautiful!

Ikjhgfdsa – Can't go wrong with glasses and katana blade... ! I'm a fan of the limited palette, too.

Phuzion – I LOVE the coffee cup. You know, the starbucks franchise is kind of like cockroaches – they'd probably creep up, even in a zombie apocalypse.

Ghostbrush – I love the action! Even in the brush strokes!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to quantumrat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Continuing onward - maybe having too much fun with smoke here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    May just be me -but I really like this crop.
    But it might be too much of one, for the purposes of this event...? Oh well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darklogik:
    I really love it so far
    Well, since you wanted feedback... her feet look kind of strange as they are now. I think they shouldn't stretch that far backwards (well, it's not really "far" but it's enough to make it look weird). Also, the blood splatters on the shield. They're far too regular and they all have the same length, which kind of looks unnatural. Right now it reminds me of a sun or something (the outlines)

Well, bout my pic: she's now officially ironing zombies Well, it's still a sketch right now but I'd really love to hear what you think about it.
    Moreover, I'm not totally sure about the background... actually I like the direction in which the current one's going. Totally random

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SunRoamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When i started ,i didn't reaaly know where i go .... so this work isn't good enough for me but i will continue to work hard ... i think i could do better ....

Thanks everyone, this exercice is so good for me !!!Emulation is the word !

Grandmassa Mr. Spect : i like your style !!! very inspiring lighting ... and killing a zombie with a fork ahah ,that's a challenge

openanewworld : amazing work !!! What can i say ? Great sense of detail (as always) ,strong shapes ,very dynamic action in one single picture !!! She's like an amazon of hell

Phuzion : very good line !i can't to see another step to the final stage ,your work is so cool

Squidmonk3j : Well ,i love the illustrative aspect of your picture !and your color scheme is so good ... please continue !!!

Emerging : Waouh !!!! your picture hurts for real

AvisNocturna :Very poetic picture ... it remembers me Blade Runner's mood ,don't know why ... i want more

Kugu:very strong undertanding of anatomy,i love it !!! can't wait to see your final work !

Bangalore Monkey :Like an old Amiga game's cover I like it a lot!!!

Rodimus25 :Very dynamic image ...and she looks so angry

Cosmitron : AHHHH ! I can't say anything else !!!She's the cutest zombie killer i've ever seen ......

Moski : I like your work ,especialy the third b/w Sketch ,so detailed ... your sketchbook is amazing !!!

Muninn :When my girlfriend saw your picture ,she told me that she was amazed by your capacity to tell a complete story in one single picture !! and i totally agree !!And your rendering is blowing my mind ...Can't wait to see the final contribution .

Well ,i really need to work ,but i'm still learning

Name:  Celine.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  263.1 KB

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThaDeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A slight update... I think I might be sticking with a nail bat, since that sort of says Zombie-Apocalypse more than a gun... but she still has her pistol too, and some nice leather pants

Cheers,
    ~d

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoo, this one's moving fast, great stuff everyone. here are some more comments.

ikuru- cool stuff. i like the hockey stick, don't think anyone thought of that.
    agou- the outfit is great. i'm also really digging her expression.
    Taimic-good start to the chow. maybe not the best angle to showcase the character.
    Arthemis IX- that's a lot of blood. i like the sort of futuristic look this has, i don't know what's giving me that impression.
    emerging- great rendering. though I'm still confused as to whether he is a zombie, and why she shot him in the balls if the tv said otherwise.
    Sulk-Sal-reminds me of baroness from gi joe, with the glasses in the sketch. cool weapons!
    Migsta - i really like how you finished this one off. draws attention to erica.
    Reymus-perhaps to late to mention, but i find the similarity between the two characters distracting, and detrimental to the character as it puts her on the same level as the zombie.
    tonysaurus-cool scene, hope to see more. though that gun reminds me way too much of rob liefeld's, i almost expect her to have pouches all over her outfit.
    Markusthebarbarian-i'm really digging the background. also, what a great character. i'm liking it.
    KuGu- great scene. i like the cigarette butts, an interesting touch.
    Angelsway257- Nice! i like everything about it, her face, both their poses, Robert's outfit. hope to see a final.
    Rodimus25- i think it helps that she's not so short. i like the cartoony look to it. i find myself missing her swords though.
    NZOB1- great job with the pose, but i just don't know if an action shot is the best way to present a character design. i really like the magazine idea, however.
    Sekino- Great! i like everything, especially the style, refreshingly different.
    Phaethon- great action and anatomy. ha, that zombie in the bg looks scared.
    darklogik- great background, perhaps have it look a little more apoctalyptic, ya know, papers on the ground, broken windows, dead bodies (coming to life), the usual.
    squidmonk3j - a little late, but i like it overall. the only thing, she seems way to stiff. i like what you did with the fiance btw.
    dawnusllaw- aww, too bad. i like the original. suppose you're right thogh.
    MassDet- always jump at the chance to draw a zombie! it's good but a little too pinup-ish for me.
    pahavasa- great concept, a lot of thought behind it. however, she doesn't seem all that concerned about the horde of zombies about to devour her, perhaps some more action?
    Missile- poshspice is right, getting down exactly what you want before you continue to the final is a HUGE time saver and makes the process a lot less frustrating.
    IIKII- i agree about losing a little life from sketch to painting. also, i can't really tell what's happening. where is she, what is the explosion behind her, and where is this turquoise glow coming from? just some things that if answered in the final, will make for a better piece as a whole.
    pipmonkey- not a big fan of the first version, but i like the severed head one, especially her expression.
    blau- looking good. though she feels a little off balance. maybe a wider stance?
    dirkvandulmen- love the crumpled zombie body behind her. nice solid design.
    Lotta- i know it's just a wip, but i have no idea what's happening. and, just an idea, a more dynamic angle would improve it as an illustration.
    masanyo- ha, those better be heavy duty staples.
    Tommoy - you have definitely achieved the spooky atmosphere. great Stuff!
    elliste- ha, made me laugh. though i don't know if there would be any expression on the severed head of a zombie... but who cares it's fun.
    Grandmassa Mr. Spect- i don't know, seems very rough. and why is there so much texture in certain places. some great anatomy and a good scene, but it needs cleaning up.
    lkjhgfdsa- nice and unique.
    Sidharth Chaturvedi- i like the idea of the backpack, also the staring contest between her and her fiance.
    openanewworld- super cool! love all the little details, and the fact they're ripping her clothes off, made me lol. i think we may have a winner
    Phuzion- another great one. just really like the feel of this one!
    Meon- i like it, her face especially!
    quantumrat - yeah, maybe too much smoke. but i like the character.
    SunRoamer- haha, great. much clearer, what she's doing. agian, i would just put her in the usual setting of those ads, in the house, but outside it's the apocalypse. you decide, i feel like i'm hijacking your piece.
    ThaDeus- i like it, though she seems a little smooshed horizontally, probably just a stylistic choice, but a little distracting.

this is going to be a good one.

21. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bangalore_monkey For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback guys! love to hear what u think!

darklogik, I like ur painting, think it needs some attention on her weight and balance (she is falling over atm), her upper right arm is a bit too short and shoulder is a bit off. I made a paintover for u, hope it helps!
    /D

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ikuru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Phuzion: Those leather pants make alll the difference! U_U super hot

@ ThaDeus: Thank you ^_^ I love the textures you are using in your piece, and the broom...hilarious ...since Im such a n00b, my stuff still has the "digital" look but Ill work on becoming fresher!

@ SunRoamer: The idea is very clever..ironing zombies...straightening them out, as it were but the BG is waaay too overpowering...considering her actions, just put her in her living room and add a couple of extra zombies, starched, ironed and folded

@ quantumrat: The last crop might get you booted from the final poll...and besides you're throwing away half your work ...The hand on the gun looks great, the other one..needs a little work, Im sure you can find some refs online... good job on the smoke

@ Ghostbrush: great action scene..but poor girl...between the angle of the pic, the recoil of the gun, her poor footing and the twisting action, the girl is going down U_U ehehe, nice lighting tho

@ Meon: Nice start! I think you may have to move her right leg (our left) out a bit more to balance her stance...just nit pickin'

@ Grandmassa Mr. Spect: Respect for the cool lighting, excellent anatomy and busy scene!

@ darklogik: Lotsa fun! The only crit I can think of is that given what she's wearing (which is perfectly fine) she looks a bit too young..but otherwise very cool!

@ Sidharth Chaturvedi: Nice quiet piece in contrast with the rest...I would add a little more light on the z's face to bring out some of the structures better....but then again, I'd probably get them wrong

@ squidmonk3j: I really like the drawing here...the colors seem a bit dark, but it's too early to tell...the zombie in the side-car with a helmet on, cracks me up!

@ Markusthebarbarian: I really like your piece, but the thing that puzzles me is, do her guns shoot light I cant see the barrels ..eheheh

@ Lotta: I agree w missile, she looks like she's tipping forward..and the z's face is comically large and grotesque if erica is throwing something...look up some baseball pitcher photos to see the range of motion. hope it helps.

@ Migsta: ehehe..is she holding her gun Gangsta' style? she's making sure she can get the zombie on the 3:10 to yuma! :o

@ openanewworld: The composition is crap. the figure is crap. the action is crap. the colors are gonna be crap..just quit already! amazing! cant wait to see it finished!

@ tonysaurus: nice colors! I like her make-up too..but her hands look a bit small, also the FT's nozzle is faaar too large, but strangely it looks good I would just resize the hands a bit

@ Marsch: Where are the turtles? does she use them as weapons ? :o

@ lkjhgfdsa: First erica that actually looks older...very nice start..I like that she had both goggles and sunglasses!

@ Sekino: Sweet! ahahah her face is precious!!!

@ Tydal: Hard to crit at this stage, but I would point out the feet.theyre a bit large and out of perspective..otherwise its a good start!

@ Reymus: I see youre using some "bounce light" on her face, but its making it look like a 5 o'clock shadow...also there seems too be too little contrast overall. Its a bit late but I wish both figures werent walking with the same posture....seems a bit akward...but I like her design, very necromunda

@ ikuru: oooOOH!! fresh style..a bit young looking but otherwise really nice. love the hockey stick..I was thinking of doing a field hockey stick on mine but scrapped it later.

@ Sulk-Sal: Dang! that's one mad max-ine looking chick! bad-ass...cant wait for the finished piece.

@ Raffix: Hello. its too early to really say anythinng constructive other than to consider the shape and mass of the hair..it looks very ratty..but it could be waht you were going for...post an update and welcome!

@ elliste: Batter-up! pow! thew only thing thats a bit off is her calm and complacent expression...give her a mood! :@ ehehe

@ pahavasa: Cool scene...the machete looks especially good...the one thing that kinda bugs me is that the main zombie looks like hes made out of wood ... Im sure color will kill the illusion

@ Tommoy: Wow, this has gone thru some changes! And I gotta say, I like the cross much better than the shotg. Makes a LOT more sense...not that it HAS to make sense...but Im pragmatic like that.

@ masanyo: thats..thats my swingline stapler...I was told I could keep my stapler if i....thats mine. fun piece!

Phew..thats all I can type for now as its dinner time... heres an update..Ive almost finished the figure and Im waaay behind..hope I can finish the BG by monday. I dont know if Ill give her long hair or not...either way I added her pink I-pod Mi ...wireless headphones and wifi connection for direct music d/l. and her livestrong bracelet...plus other junk.

Name:  chow160-wip4.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  228.9 KB

25. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cloud-Yo! For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments everybodies ROCK'N IT!!!

i still gotta rename the files... that will prob take longer than make'n the pic

all yall RRRRRRRRRRROOOOOCCCCCK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    phew, cool stuff going on here. will take ages for me to get there
    still, as sad as it sounds, i'm quite happy with the current outcome, for it's my first digital painting, and i'm still struggling with the basics. so i guess, back to the anatomy studies for me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished sketch. Hopefully I will be able to finish the coloring by monday.

Leo Ki is offline Trying to tame that growling stylus Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That thread is awesome! I wanted to comment on every post but there are so many that I ended up skipping a lot. I'll write more crits during the week end.

ThaDeus - The coloring technique looks great, waiting for more. Watch out her left knee (our right) too low.
    quantumrat - The crop is nice but we lose much of the character and weapons.
    Ghostbrush - I like the composition and dynamics, but she's a bit unbalanced.
    Meon - Neat!
    Grandmassa Mr. Spect - Great atmosphere.
    darklogik - Hehe, so cute. The park meter was funnier though.
    Sidharth Chaturvedi - Haha, so glum.
    squidmonk3j - She sure looks like a winner.
    Markusthebarbarian - Fantastic!
    Lotta - Try to make it clearer what she is doing (throwing the wedding ring?) and why.
    Migsta - Superb!
    Phuzion - Nothing will disturb her, eh?
    openanewworld - Yearh! Is it her fiance on the cross?
    tonysaurus - An almost melancholic feel to this scene, original.
    Reymus - The attitude of the zombie fiance is great, but I don't understand that of Erica.
    emerging - Sexy dark humor. The facial expressions are well tuned.
    Cosmitron - luvitluvit!
    Rodimus25 - Great style!
    Muninn - Killer idea! And beautiful.
    Poshpice - Edit04!

This is my first chow - my first *ow even.

I started with this first sketch. Early morning in the bathroom, Erica is hearing about the zombie catastrophe on the radio when Robert breaks into the bathroom, already green and rotten. Crying "Robert! This is not you! This is not you!", she uses what is at hand: the curtain rod. (Note to emerging: she aims for the head )

Name:  chow.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  101.3 KB

Then I wanted something more dynamic. Erica's new job is at a company that develops breakthrough tools for the industry. She snaps the ionic megawelder prototype and cuts her way to nowhere through the raging crowd. I'm afraid I'm off-topic, because that fantasy tool is nothing near-future. I'd be grateful if somebody could tell me whether I should abandon this concept to remain on-topic. I'd also be grateful for any crits to improve.

Name:  chow2.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  198.6 KB

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Leo Ki For This Useful Post:

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Overhauled... everything.

Erica v2.0

...after she was overcome by a horde of vicious zombies in a Bridal Wear Shop while trying on dresses for her fiancée (who was sadly killed in the attack), Erica was saved by paramedics. Unfortunately her dress was no match for teeth - she had been bitten. In a radical move to prevent the spreading of infection, the paramedics removed most of Erica's right leg. Fast forward two months. Erica now spends her days hunting zombies to satisfy the hungry rage caused by the loss of her lover. A circular straw strapped to her thigh controlled by a long wire to her left hand ensures no zombie who comes close will survive to tell the tale. The bridal gown she was wearing on the first day of the apocalypse clings to her in tatters above a set of motorcycle leathers, her only reminder of life before hell.

*cough*

This should prove a lot easier to adjust now. I hope.

Edit: Adding second WIP, replaced random pole with a crutch sharpened into a spear at one end.

Last edited by Gavage; May 29th, 2009 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, this must be the round with the most awesome pieces ever!! Heres my wip, trying a bit of a different style for once. Erica as she discovers she can kill a zombie too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Missile-

Evil dead+planet terror. thought i like all the story behind it.

icemoon- but she's wrecked a perfectly good vaio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bangalore_monkey: Yeah, perhaps even scarier I might change it into a macbook though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the feedback!

bangalore_monkey yeah, you're absolutely right. She looks more pissed off than scared, almost as she's facing just another daily nuisance. Even if it's so the image surely would be more powerful with a more tense posture. Will remember that next time!

KuGu, thanks for the criticism! Now that you said it he really does look a bit wood-ish - unfortunately though we have no time to colour this as we're both away from our computers for the next few days, but we'll definitely learn from this. By the way your work is one of our favourites, we really like the composition and the pose. The way her spine is curved and the feeling of weight makes it really plausible. Looking forward to the finished piece.

darklogik, is it just me or is the character leaning a little bit too much on the viewer's left? It looks like she's a bit off balance. Otherwise, great work, the pink works really well. Not sure about the blue shoes, tho.

Grandmassa Mr. Spect, really nice work and use of colour. Looks like she's in a rave-party-gone-wrong, thanks to intense colours.

Ghostbrush, you have great movement in your image, the feeling of space is well-achieved thanks to the three levels of the picture (the hand, the main character, the background characters). One thing that's bugs us is Erica's right hand - the placement of the shoulder indicates that she's firing straight foward, and therefore the rest of her hand looks a bit weird when facing the other direction than the shoulder it's attached to.

Meon, great brushwork, clean but not too clean. Keep it going.

Here's our final shot, 'cause as mentioned earlier, we don't have time to work on this project during the weekend. Had fun and learned a lot, we will certainly attend to these weekly challenges more often from now on!

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pahavasa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thinks it ready

Last round of feed back =)

Adjusted the positioning and balance, THANK YOU! made it alot more post apocalyptic and gave it a "from a car" vantage point.

Really have loved this round and all the great work!!!

Thanks

Destiny is re-written daily. ~

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys! here's an update. I hope I'll find some time to get this done

Blog
    You can take the man out of the eighties but you can't take the eighties out of the man.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cosmitron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cosmitron, you rock.

Here's some more progress on this thing.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidharth Chaturvedi View Post
    Cosmitron, you rock.

Here's some more progress on this thing.
    Hey mate! Our two Erikas seem to share the same appendix!!
    Besides I like the tired and cautious attitude of yours.

Last edited by Cosmitron; May 29th, 2009 at 08:59 PM.
    Blog
    You can take the man out of the eighties but you can't take the eighties out of the man.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Cosmitron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cosmitron, that is looking Great!

what's with all the hearts?

46. The Following User Says Thank You to bangalore_monkey For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1