Chow 160 :: Erica, Zombie-Slayer - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmitron View Post
    Phaethon> However, I've followed your advice, though now she looks constipated.
    Blegh - yeah, the previous expression was better. Sorry for making you change it. M-maybe less constipated/confused and more afraid or angry?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say this is a lot of fun. Doing this weekly thing for the first time. A lot of inspiration. Makes me "get off" my lazy butt and do something haha. One person pointed out something i thought was pretty important and made me think if i should go with it or not... Basically the fact that there is a ring may mislead the viewer into a different interpretation of the idea. Like right now its word play with dark humour (if u read tv ull know how its connected to where the guy got shot lol).. the reason i put in the ring is not to make it seem as if he got shot for proposing to her but because i wanted it to signify his relationship to her as well as put more drama into the whole situation (he just proposed today and already turned into zombie etc) please offer me some thoughts on this one, because now it seems it depends on a person who is viewing it, like some pple misinterpret it and some get it exactly right. If i need to remove the ring i could always put in a remote control in there to fill in the space, or a spilled drink..

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ring,

Id just say, rather than messing with the ring (i like the statement) make "Robert" a little more zombie, maybe vary his skin color more away from hers and more greenish or blueish to put more emphasis on "He Turned" soon after the proposal.

Maybe throw a newer bite mark or wound on him too.

Love it all around though and I get the idea =P

Good luck.

Destiny is re-written daily. ~

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats how far i cam, little cleaning up and some details, dont really know where i wanna go now, or if i make it till deadline... we will see ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I wasn't going to enter this round because it's not something I'd usually draw. But then I realized that's the exact reason I SHOULD enter.

A little action, a few zombies, and I am eager to paint a black and white image with just a hint of color in important areas. All things I need to practice on. So here's my sketch, enlarged and I'm just starting to clean it up.

Is there anything really awful looking so far?

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Puppykitten: That's actually pretty cute. The gun could maybe do with being a little bigger because she looks quite small herself and most handguns would seem a lot larger by comparison - but of course smaller guns do exist, depends what style you're going for really.

Hopefully last WIP. Ended up with some sort of demonic Power Ranger looking thing. Am I allowed to have the face obscured this much or should I keep the visor raised?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gavage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Puppykitten:
    The image so far is really beautiful and I really love your lines and shading @.@ But unless Erica feeds on zombies (which will help you maintain eternal youth :>) she looks far too young. As it is now I thought that she was... 15 or so >.<

E:
    @emerging:
    Well, I didn't misinterpret the thing with the ring so I'd totally keep it, especially since it makes the whole thing a lot more tragical I agree with Darklogik, however. The guy should look more like a zombie If you want to make him look like someone who's just been infected and therefore don't give him large wound, heavily changed skin-colour and whatnot, how about just adding more veins popping out? You could also give him not clouded pupils but rather bloodfilled eyes or something like that (because, as it is now, the popping veins, the foam and the clouded pupils could also come only from his... discomfort xD)

Thanks for all the feedback. Well, I started working on some colour (my way of working is messed up right now, but well, it's after midnight over here *yawn*)...

I attached several images:
    First one shows the "normal" picture and in the second one I added some black outlines, which give the whole picture a more comic-like feel (which I don't think is bad considering the whole idea and the current background). Moreover it helps separate Erica from the background, and well, it also showed me that the normal version is wrong as it is now (anatomy-wise) xD
    Third and fourth image show different faces, but what matters to me is only which one you prefer concerning the direction she's looking in (at the viewer or at the zombie)

Last edited by SunRoamer; May 30th, 2009 at 07:04 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SunRoamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PuppyKitten: Aw, very cute! I agree on sunroamer though, she looks way too young, minly because of the proportions of her head and maybe also because of her body, but that may be considered as stylisation You could make her expression a bit clearer. right now I cannot tell wether she looks happy or angry.

SunRoamer: Make her look towards the viewer! It makes the picture look even more ironic! Also try to desaturate the background. I don't know if you even need that much of action, it just distracts the viewer. Also watch her legs, they kind of look broken to me right now.

“Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update .
    please give thy opnion
    As for the TURTLE i mentioned earlier:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y famous meme i included.

I shot the sheriff.
    Now I'm the sheriff.

March's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PK - lovely, lovely work as always.

~S
    (Oreg.)

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cosmitron : First one first one! PLeaaaase !!
    Puppy kitten : this is lovely tho she looks really young, she is supposed to be nearly 30...

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, last revision, I promise

Bangalore Monkey: I thought it looked ok to but it was a little off. And yes, zombie-killer in a wedding dress is still a cool idea! hehe

Cosmitron: I see what you mean, it's not quite believable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SunRoamer, Clochette and Avis: Yeah, I don't know how to draw 30 year olds. All the thirty year olds I see look no different than any 20 year old really. They don't exactly have wrinkles or anything. I'll see if changing her proportions helps. *fingers crossed*

Edit: Yeah I'm looking at photos and I seriously can't see a difference between a 30 year old and a 20 year old. At all. I'm fucked.

Also, thanks Shane! It's been a while, how are you doing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi everyone
    as usual, I am starting late.
    hope I can finish on time.

Pupykitten> I am always very fond of your pictures... so smooth
    she looks very young for a girl in her 30's. I would very much love to know what she eats/takes.
    I think her apparent youth comes from partly the fullness of her cheeks.

here is the first rough.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ryuloulou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, this round is producing some scrumptous eye candy! Figured now was a good time for comments, so here goes!

SunRoamer: lovin; the idea you're going with. One suggestion, the zombie looks more like a torture victim, maybe a little more decay? Her face is super creepy, I love it!
    Cosmitron: Man, you're progress on this is quick, at least compared to me lol! Can't wait for your final.
    NickTrip: Great start. The only criticism I can offer is that her body seems to have some proportion issues, particularly in the torso, it looks like she's missing an abdomen. Other than that, great composition and shading.
    DarkLogic: Nice work. I love that she's wearing motorcross gear
    OpenANewWorld: man that's a crazy sketch! All that detail from the get-go, I'm almost afraid to see the end result!
    Angelsway257: looking good, I love the mask on the boyfriend
    Bangalore monkey: excellent work, I like the pulp fiction layout with the modern style of the business suit
    Rodimus25: that's an awesome start, she looks really young though. Looking forward to your final!
    Pixeltuner: oh that's awesome, I would run from her even if I wasn't a zombie lol she's scary
    DIMAGYAN: zombie tweetybird!! 'nuff said!

That's all for now, I'll try and get more comments in before the end

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JJParker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Slash: YOU have plenty of time, for the rest of us, the water is already up to our necks! :0

@ MJ_Alcazar: Im wondering why the boots are so shaky looking? the lighting on the face may be a bit too dark, but thats usually a problem with monitors, an dmine isnt one of the best >_> otherwise it's looking fab!

@ Cosmitron: Nothing but respect..it's such a fantastic piece that Im almost certain you just bagged youre first CHOW title I thin that I liked the first expression better..kinda non-challant given the gravity of the situation it went well with the whole idea of her using a kitchen appliance to kill her zombified bf..who BTW is hilarious...you sir/madam are very talented!

@ Crowsrock: I really like the idea of the cleaver attached to the shotgun. Im not really sure what she's holding in her other hand? nice start!

@ Missile: Hahahahah..ok..Im down w the redesign..however..something as ridonculously fun as the circular leg saw deserves a scene to see it in action Palomita!

@ Auren: You have time, and it looks like your a good way into it...the perspective on the ground seems a little whacky...but I cant put my finger on it....I like the sling

@ AvisNocturna: Looking fantastic!!!! Th eonly thing I can tell you about the dress is that it seems a bit stiff and "thick" but Im only mentioning it because you brought it up..otherwise I wouldnt have really noticed it.

@ Sidharth Chaturvedi: I still feel the zombie's face is a bit dark, and its a shame cuz it seems so interesting...but overall I still love the quiet look of it...

@ lkjhgfdsa: I say: In a zombie apocalypse, any living girl is automatically sexy! the same is true for guys..thats why I cant wait for it to happen

@ NickTrip: I dont know why you'd feel embarrassed by posting yur image. There are a couple of obvious problems with the figure...her left leg(our right) is bent far too much..other than that I would recommend that you take the image and flip the canvas horizontally, you'll instantly see some other smaller problems...hope this helps!

@ darklogik: Critiquing isnt necessarily about insulting or "criticizing" peoples work, nor do you need a license to do it, otherwise I'd be spending less time posting .. you have more than enough talent to tell people what you think works and what doesnt, besides, it's just an opinion which may be of use to the artist...even if it's just a nit-pick..so dig in!

@ Phaethon: nice boot-to-the-face! the only nit-pick I got is her pubic bone area...it seems twisted..bear in mind that the pelvis is one solid piece..besides that, its very dynamic.

@ bangalore_monkey: Thanks for all the comments...I didnt make it in time to crit your work, but it has a great b-movie feel to it..only thing I would say is that at first glance the lettering reads (to me) as zombie slayer "ePica"

Crap! I started this post 5 hours ago then walked away from the pc and now Ive lost my place in the queue....its 3.31 am and I need sleep...so Ill try to get to everyone else tomorrow...my bad

update------>color---------->sleep!

Name:  chow160-wip5.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  248.5 KB

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cloud-Yo! For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyKitten View Post
    Edit: Yeah I'm looking at photos and I seriously can't see a difference between a 30 year old and a 20 year old. At all. I'm fucked.

Also, thanks Shane! It's been a while, how are you doing?
    A little more angular features on people in their 30's. Rule of thumb is to loose the baby fat, a little more hollow around the eyes, etc.

I'm doing well, and glad to be back! Very pleased to see you're still in here slinging pixels!

Small update on page two!

Best,
    ~S

26. The Following User Says Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OpenANewWorld, you're my hero.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Watson View Post
    A little more angular features on people in their 30's. Rule of thumb is to loose the baby fat, a little more hollow around the eyes, etc.

I'm doing well, and glad to be back! Very pleased to see you're still in here slinging pixels!

Small update on page two!

Best,
    ~S
    I changed her face a bit, I think it helped. We'll see.

I hadn't noticed that you're entering this round! Your zombie dude looks awesome! I love his pose and the fact that he's holding a heart (is it his own?)

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Puppykitten: Your girl looks very teenage-like right now partly because of her delicate, lanky limbs. Full-grown adults have more developed, sinewy muscles. Even a very slender woman will have traces of rolling muscles and tendons under the skin (especially in the thigh, shoulder and hip areas). Hope this helps. Your drawing is gorgeous so far!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sekino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My last wip before fixing up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  CHOW#160_Elliste.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  58.9 KB

Thank you for the crits Kugu. I tried to change her expression a bit. I wanted her to look like she was concentrating on hitting a home run with his head. XD -and you were right, the way I had it looked like she was very complacent.

any other things you guys see that could use some help would be appreciated.

Emerging - I like the ring there. I think it helps support the back story for erica. I agree with Darklogic about maybe making robert more zombified

Sunroamer - I like the option you had where she is looking down at her work.. she looks quite creepy in that one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyKitten View Post
    I changed her face a bit, I think it helped. We'll see.

I hadn't noticed that you're entering this round! Your zombie dude looks awesome! I love his pose and the fact that he's holding a heart (is it his own?)
    Last note on your character's face: try emphasizing the bridge of the nose more. Losing the bridge, or having a smooth space there is indicative of youth (look at children's faces vs. adults - generally speaking, the older you are, the more pronounced that bridge is going to be). Another trick is to emphasize lines around the mouth.

haha - we may never know exactly *who's* heart it is - I suppose it's the thought that counts in this case

Best,
    ~S

35. The Following User Says Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jumping in semi-late. Gonna try to actually finish this one, and do so quick-ish.

edit: Updated.

Last edited by Nightblue; May 31st, 2009 at 03:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right - time to force myself to stop working on this for tonight.

Edit: Couldn't sleep so I updated it.

Last edited by Phaethon; May 31st, 2009 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    started adding colour, page 2.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I'm all done with this week's entry. I like the way the colors came out.

Thank you for the helpful advice, KuGu and Dawnusllaw. I can't make the changes this time around, but its great to get the feedback to help me look out for the problems next time. Thanks!

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, darklogik, the jump from the image just before adding the window to the final is amazing! Great, great work, definitely looks more balanced now. The shadows and the added contrast really gives the image more depth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys!
    CHOW competition is definitely exciting!
    puppykitten>wo-how! your drawing is amazing! I'm roughly stunned by the inherent smoothness yet detailed paint of your art. You've got the touch, you've got the power! And yes she looks 13.
    dawnusllaw> Oh well.. Zombies are not quite believable either.
    Ryuloulou> I must admit I love your Erika's behaviour. The cute little woman, with that resolute -I'll kill 'em all with pain- gesture, very Zhang Ziyi!
    Kugu> Nice work on Erika's dressing! IMHO, it tells a lot of her story.
    Nightblue> great Sketch!

here is an update, though.

Last edited by Cosmitron; May 31st, 2009 at 06:49 AM.
    Blog
    You can take the man out of the eighties but you can't take the eighties out of the man.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cosmitron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cosmitron Nice job man. Can't wait to see it completely finished.
    PuppyKittenAdorable yet deadly. The age thing has already been mentioned as a critique so I'll just say I can't wait to see yours finished either. Love your paint style.
    AvisNosturna Yours will really come together once you get th espots under control. Just make sure the pattern conforms to the fold of the cloth.
    SCWatsonI think that purple might be a bit bright. Looking good otherwise though.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Auren For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1